Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Junior Arias

1 0.99%
  • Brad Boxberger

2 1.98%
  • Daniel Corcino

0 0%
  • Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

65 64.36%
  • Danny Dorn

2 1.98%
  • Juan Duran

1 0.99%
  • Mariekson Gregorius

0 0%
  • Ismael Guillon

3 2.97%
  • Jacob Johnson

0 0%
  • Donnie Joseph

9 8.91%
  • Ryan LaMarre

2 1.98%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

3 2.97%
  • Felix Perez

1 0.99%
  • Henry Rodriguez

0 0%
  • David Sappelt

8 7.92%
  • Neftali Soto

2 1.98%
  • Ronald Torreyes

1 0.99%
  • Chris Valaika

1 0.99%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I went Sappelt, though he's really one of about ten or fifteen that could be put at this spot. Sappelt dominated AA, played very well in 100 ABs at AAA, and is a CF to boot. (A plus CF, if scouting reports are accurate.) He's got some pop-- a lifetime 300+/350+/450+ line-- and walks enough to be either a decent option at leadoff or a really nice #8 hitter.

If Sappelt can play LF like a CF and hits as well as he did in the minors this season, he'd add some serious value to the team.

As to Cozart, Sappelt's positional value (as a CF) is just as high as the SS and played at a higher level offensively. Sappelt's obp is 50 points (!) higher, he's hot more power, and his contact tool is much, much better. Plus he's a year and a bit younger. I suspect most posters voting Cozart aren't voting as much for Cozart the prospect, but for the hope that he's the best option as a SS next season.
    I personally have Sappelt ahead of Cozart, but its not by much. Cozart has more power than Sappelt does (specifically HR power), though he has a lower hit tool which leads to the lower average and lower SLG rate. Defensively, I think the two guys are similar in value. Sappelt has plus range, but his arm is average at best, while Cozart is above average in both areas. The more advanced plate approach gives Sappelt the slight edge for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

After thinking about it some more, I think I'd put Sappelt ahead of Cozart, too. It clearly won't make a difference, though.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm another one who's been voting Cozart for a while now. As I understand it, he has four plus-tools, with hitting for average being the only one that lags behind a bit (of course that's the one the casual fan focuses on, so he'll never be a fan favorite). If he can hit .240 in the majors, he can be an asset as a starting shortstop.

I see him as a #8 hitter, but a #8 hitter with enough pop to drive some runs in and not leave them for the pitcher's spot, which is kind of handy.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    If he can hit .240 in the majors, he can be an asset as a starting shortstop.

I see him as a #8 hitter, but a #8 hitter with enough pop to drive some runs in and not leave them for the pitcher's spot, which is kind of handy.
    I tend to agree. He strikes me as the type of player who is going to be able to play above average defense at SS and be a decent bottom of the order hitter. He isn't a particularly exciting prospect but he strikes me as a very valuable cog for a team like the Reds because he can provide solid production on the cheap and then can be somewhat easily replaced once he starts to get expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm another one who's been voting Cozart for a while now. As I understand it, he has four plus-tools, with hitting for average being the only one that lags behind a bit (of course that's the one the casual fan focuses on, so he'll never be a fan favorite). If he can hit .240 in the majors, he can be an asset as a starting shortstop.

Cozart doesn't have a single plus tool. His range, arm and speed are above average and his power is average. His hit tool is below average.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Cozart doesn't have a single plus tool. His range, arm and speed are above average and his power is average. His hit tool is below average.
    I have always felt that if Cozart would improve as a hitter as he aquired more AB's in the Majors. I could see him going from a .230 hitter to a .270 hitter over the course of a couple seasons. He has always stepped up to the challenge of the level he has performed at and I would expect no different at the ML level.

I could see a Rookie Campaign of .315/.390/.705 (12 to 15 HR) with 10 to 15 E's in the field. That would be a large improvement over what the Reds have gotten out of the SS position in 5+ years.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Voted Sappelt. Also we could have skipped this entirely predictable result after the last round.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Voted Sappelt. Also we could have skipped this entirely predictable result after the last round.
    It's a long offseason. I'm not sure why people are in such a hurry to get these polls over with. If we start skipping polls then come January people are going to be wishing we had something to discuss.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It's a long offseason. I'm not sure why people are in such a hurry to get these polls over with. If we start skipping polls then come January people are going to be wishing we had something to discuss.
    Exactly. This isn't 100% about coming up with a list to represent RedsZone's view on prospects. It's more about the discussion than anything else. I really hope people refrain from comments like Hokie's (and others') in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    From all I've heard, for several years, I'd think his fielding would be a plus tool. (And that is one of the five.) I'm just going by what others have said, but his fielding has been regarded as ever-so-slightly better than Janish's, and a lot of folks consider Janish to be Gold Glove-caliber.

I also can't quite agree with the assessments that Cozart and Sappelt are a wash defensively. Until recently, Sappelt's arm was considered a liability in center field. It may have improved, for whatever reason, but the consensus seems to be that Cozart is a better SS than Sappelt is a CF. And while CF is a vital position defensively, it's not quite SS. It demands a little more bat.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    AGREED.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    his fielding has been regarded as ever-so-slightly better than Janish's, and a lot of folks consider Janish to be Gold Glove-caliber.
    Hmm. I don't consider Cozart to be quite as good as Janish. His range MIGHT be a little better but Janish's arm more than makes up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Hmm. I don't consider Cozart to be quite as good as Janish. His range MIGHT be a little better but Janish's arm more than makes up for that.
    Well, you've seen them both. I haven't. I'm just going by reports I recall reading a couple years ago.

I'll apologize for the comment about our skipping this round. It's just that the way the votes have been breaking, it's obvious we've got a tremendous gap in votes between 9 and 10. I enjoy the discussion as much as anybody and am not in any hurry to see the poll over with. It's just been obvious for several rounds that the consensus has been that Frazier-Francisco-Cozart are way out ahead of whoever is to come 10th.

Maybe this is totally off-base, but could Cozart be a Ron Oester type of player who never is a star, but sticks around for a while with a good glove and a lesser bat, perhaps as an 8-hole hitter as mentioned above?

It sounds like he has more power than Ron and SS is a more important position than 2B so it's not a perfect comparison, but is it reasonable? Or am I underestimating Cozart's potential?

Turn Off Ads?