Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Diamondbacks have no plans to bring back Webb

Re: Diamondbacks have no plans to bring back Webb

Webb has had shoulder issues. Unlike elbows, these are much more difficult for a successful return. I have to wonder if some smart team wouldn't be after Webb as a member of its bullpen. Following the Kerry Wood plan just might be right for Webb. I'm guessing that if St. Louis is the mystery team, they may just have this in mind. Milwaukee would be wise to do this as well.

I wouldn't mind the Reds giving him a look, but I'd hope an additional move involving one of the Reds starters for an impact offensive player would follow.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Aren't we always the mystery team, at least since Walt became the GM. We were the mystery team on chapman and lee, and Im sure we are the mystery team here again. My guess is the reds are offering less money then the rangers but the chance for webb to pitch close to home. If we do get him he gives us the possiblity of having a legit #1 ace for the playoffs, obviously theres the risk that his arm is shot and he gives us nothing but I think if a small market team has a shot at getting a proven #1 they have to take it. Plus adding webb might give us the ability to deal one of our young SP for stephen drew or someone like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I hope the Reds are in on Webb. Would take some pressure off the younger pitchers and add depth. Plus a pitcher could be included in a deal to bring in a SS like Reyes.

Have to sign Webb to an incentive laden contract with 2 option years though. I wonder if that's the hang-up. No agent is going to let him go for more than 1 year in case he pitches lights out.
    Good post. Agree.

Deal has to be structured reasonably, but Reds should be in on Webb. Still a potential top end pitcher who would particularly like to pitch in Cincy. Doesn't happen that often and Reds should try to take opportunity.

I'd like to see Webb agree to a reasonable deal with the Reds but I think he'll go to Texas.

Shoulders are so dicey. Planning on him as a flyer? Because he sure isn't a top of the rotation hoss at this point in time. Far from it.

Love that the Reds are in on Webb...he returns to form or even 3/4 form and he can be lights out...I'd also consider him a candidate for the BP at least for his first season back.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Love that the Reds are in on Webb...he returns to form or even 3/4 form and he can be lights out...I'd also consider him a candidate for the BP at least for his first season back.
    That brings up the big question if the Reds do sign him. What to do with him in 2011?

He doesn't seem healthy enough for the rotation, and I doubt he wants to pitch in Louisville. Will he be willing to pitch in the bullpen? Would he be good enough to justify a spot in the bullpen? Lot's of question suggests that he would have to take much less than what the Rangers are offering to sign with the Reds.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Mlbtraderumors is saying that Webb has reached an agreement with the Rangers (pending a physical).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...with-webb.html

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Mlbtraderumors is saying that Webb has reached an agreement with the Rangers (pending a physical).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...with-webb.html
    Just a pet peeve of mine...

But actually Ed Price of Fanhouse says that. MLBTR is just citing that report.

It seems like nitpicking, but I think the credit for the story should go to the original report, not sites that just re-run the news.

Sorry for sounding petty. MLBTR is a great resource because it culls all the reports to a one-stop-shop. I just hate to see them get credit for other peoples' hard work.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

It looks like the Reds were the mystery team...

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...r_reds/3854993

I can't blame Webb for choosing the Rangers. He needs to start every 5th day in order to rebuild his value, and the Reds couldn't offer that. I have a feeling that the Reds never inquired about him, but he came to them after he got a firm offer from the Rangers and asked what they could offer. Reports were pretty strong that he wanted to pitch for the Reds.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

[Shoulders scare me]

Kind of glad the Reds missed here. I'm guessing Willis has a better chance of being a good pitcher than Webb and represents the Reds attempt at catching lightning in a bottle.

I'd rather they spend the remaining bucks on a sure, even if only incremental, improvement. Johnny Damon or Fred Lewis would be good ideas. Taking on a medium sized salary in a deal might help. Squandering our last remaining cow on magic beans might net the goose that lays golden eggs, but too often leaves you with nothing.

[Shoulders scare me]
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

+1 on that mth. Didn't want, based on shoulder issue and not sure he fit a need.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    +1 on that mth. Didn't want, based on shoulder issue and not sure he fit a need.
    He doesn't fit a regular season need, but if we're aiming higher, and given how good he is when he's healthy and at his best, anyone that watched the baseball playoffs last season should agree he fits a major need.

The Reds still don't have a go-to, top of the rotation starter that is counted on in big games. They have several guys that fit the profile of someone that can become that, but they still don't have it.

Greinke, Webb, etc., these guys are much closer to that than the Reds have. The shoulder issue obviously makes Webb less than a sure thing. But because he's been, before, what the Reds are lacking, I'm disappointed they didn't get him.

All that said, I'd still like another bat either at the top of the order or middle of the order.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

You are thinking of the Webb that was, not the Webb that is. The top of the rotation Webb is gone. And won't be what you want for the playoffs.

Shoulders like he suffered are a relentless and cruel mistress.

Turn Off Ads?