Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Diamondbacks have no plans to bring back Webb

Re: Diamondbacks have no plans to bring back Webb

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He has been throwing in game situations -- instructional league.
    Game situations in an instructional league are simply nothing like an actual game in the Majors. Just not the same. You could probably find hundreds of examples of guys not throwing nearly as hard in those situations as they would when they get into an actual game.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Game situations in an instructional league are simply nothing like an actual game in the Majors. Just not the same. You could probably find hundreds of examples of guys not throwing nearly as hard in those situations as they would when they get into an actual game.
    So, you think Webb has been saving his energy or something?

There is no question Webb has been doing all he can to regain as much of his form as possible. After all, he's out of a contract. The velo he's shown is the velo he has. While I can buy the possibility that he could be better down the road, the notion that he just isn't summoning the requisite adrenalin for better velocity because he's not facing major leaguers is absurd, IMO.

So, you think Webb has been saving his energy or something?

There is no question Webb has been doing all he can to regain as much of his form as possible. After all, he's out of a contract. The velo he's shown is the velo he has. While I can buy the possibility that he could be better down the road, the notion that he just isn't summoning the requisite adrenalin for better velocity because he's not facing major leaguers is absurd, IMO.
    Not only is it not absurd, it's actually supported by precedent. The adrenalin level is nothing alike.

I'm sure you played sports in high school. Did you ever get any kind of the same rush in practice as you did as a game? Did you run as fast? Throw as hard? Hit with the same force? Get the same lift on your jump shot?

Pitchers can rear back and get a few extra MPH on their fastball when they're in a game situation than they often do in practice, warm ups or throwing in the side. Do you think Aroldis always throws in the 100's?

After Webb is fully healed, gets back into game shape and is in an actual game, if he's not back up in the upper 80's, then it's time to concede a problem. Until then, it's really impossible to gain much clarity.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Not only is it not absurd, it's actually supported by precedent. The adrenalin level is nothing alike.

I'm sure you played sports in high school. Did you ever get any kind of the same rush in practice as you did as a game? Did you run as fast? Throw as hard? Hit with the same force? Get the same lift on your jump shot?

Pitchers can rear back and get a few extra MPH on their fastball when they're in a game situation than they often do in practice, warm ups or throwing in the side. Do you think Aroldis always throws in the 100's?

After Webb is fully healed, gets back into game shape and is in an actual game, if he's not back up in the upper 80's, then it's time to concede a problem. Until then, it's really impossible to gain much clarity.
    There is no doubt that only the future will reveal how far Webb can make it back. My contention is that his rehab is not "on course," and that his failure to get out of the low 80s with his fastball is a significant disappointment at this juncture, over a year removed from what was described as "minor" surgery. Honestly, I don't see how a careful reading of his progress since the surgery can lead anyone to a different conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Reds are too stacked.

He's an Astro, Pirate or Brewer
    Are the Reds minors too stacked with starting pitching too? Cuz I bet he'll be pitching in the minors somewhere to start the season. If he can improve enough, then the Reds would have a good problem to have. If he doesn't, no big loss. It will be interesting to see how much a contender close to Kentucky appeals to him.

There's a poster on the Sundeck from Ashland KY, Brandon Webb's hometown, saying Webb wants to pitch for the Reds. So, I'm going to change my tune a little on this, Since he wants to pitch in Cincy, I think the Reds have to seriously consider giving him a decently incented major league deal. Having guys who want to be there -- over anywhere else -- is a good thing. And when you factor in Webb's resume, Cy Young and all, there's more than a feelgood story, there's real upside.

Hope it happens.

There's a poster on the Sundeck from Ashland KY, Brandon Webb's hometown, saying Webb wants to pitch for the Reds. So, I'm going to change my tune a little on this, Since he wants to pitch in Cincy, I think the Reds have to seriously consider giving him a decently incented major league deal. Having guys who want to be there -- over anywhere else -- is a good thing. And when you factor in Webb's resume, Cy Young and all, there's more than a feelgood story, there's real upside.

Hope it happens.
    Agreed. I hope the Reds sign him to an incentive laden deal. As the cliche goes, you can never have enough pitching.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'm in.

The worst that happens, he doesn't have it and the Reds are out pennies (in baseball terms, of course).

The best that happens is a healthy Brandon Webb helps anchor one of the deepest pitching staffs in all of baseball....

Sounds like a win win to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I'm in.

The worst that happens, he doesn't have it and the Reds are out pennies (in baseball terms, of course).

The best that happens is a healthy Brandon Webb helps anchor one of the deepest pitching staffs in all of baseball....

Sounds like a win win to me.
    If its a minor league deal, I'm all for it. At worst it costs you a year's worth of a spot in the Bats rotation. You'd probably have someone like Lehr there anyway. Why not BW. At best, he turns things around and can help, if not this year, the 2012 after Bronson moves on (if not re-upped).

If Webb can regain the magic, he's perfect for the GAB. As a little bonus, he could be a big draw for the Eastern KY area.

If he really does want to pitch for the Reds, the Reds think there's even half a chance that he regains form and its a minor legue deal, I'd say its probably even money it happens. Not sure if any of those three conditions are true though.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Agreed. I hope the Reds sign him to an incentive laden deal. As the cliche goes, you can never have enough pitching.

No incentive deal. Don't want to see a guy pitch hurt to make his incentives. Perhaps a non-roster invite to ST would be a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Webb's agent says he is ready to pitch 30 plus games in 2011. He's not going to take a Minor League deal. I would guess that he'll want more than a one year deal too.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Webb's shoulder says differently I bet

http://www.slate.com/id/2100895/

Leading baseball surgeon Dr. James Andrews estimates that 85 percent of pitchers make a full recovery after an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, aka the once risky Tommy John surgery. (USA Today has even called the surgery the "pitcher's best friend.") But if pitchers with torn labrums were horses, they'd be destroyed. Of the 36 major-league hurlers diagnosed with labrum tears in the last five years, only midlevel reliever Rocky Biddle has returned to his previous level. Think about that when your favorite pitcher comes down with labrum trouble: He has a 3 percent chance of becoming Rocky Biddle. More likely, he'll turn into Mike Harkey, Robert Person, or Jim Parque, pitchers who lost stamina and velocity—and a major-league career—when their labrums began to fray.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Webb's agent says he is ready to pitch 30 plus games in 2011. He's not going to take a Minor League deal. I would guess that he'll want more than a one year deal too.
    Source?

If that's the case then I don't see a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Source?

If that's the case then I don't see a fit.
    source for what? My opinion is that he isn't going to take a MiLB deal. The part about his agent came from MLBTR yesterday.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    source for what? My opinion is that he isn't going to take a MiLB deal. The part about his agent came from MLBTR yesterday.
    Doubt it. I think he'll have to. But who knows.

Turn Off Ads?