Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Diamondbacks have no plans to bring back Webb

Re: Diamondbacks have no plans to bring back Webb

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Doubt it. I think he'll have to. But who knows.
    Tim Dierkes says he wouldn't be surprised by $5-6MM, not including incentives.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...ndon-webb.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

I know Webb is from the area and likes Cincy, but I just don't see a good fit at all. I don't see him accepting a minor league contract here, and pitching in Louisville, basically hoping that one of our young kids falters.

There's so many teams that would be willing to give him that 3-6 million guaranteed and guarantee him a slot in the rotation.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Why would Webb come out and say he'd take a minor league deal? It's a bargaining position.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    When he was being successful he was only throwing in the high 80's.
    Well, the difference between the high 80's and the low 80's is HOF Hoffman and Gopher Ball Hoffman.

I'd take Webb and give him a major league roster spot (after the Rule V), but it would have to be an incentive-laden deal, in the hopes of striking gold. There's little to lose other than that spot and the Reds have a few of them available.

If he's bad in Spring Training, you can cut him. If he's good, you've got a nice chip so that others can be dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    No incentive deal. Don't want to see a guy pitch hurt to make his incentives. Perhaps a non-roster invite to ST would be a good idea.
    Nothing wrong with an incentive based deal if the team handles it wisely.

From Jerry Crasnick:

There's also an unidentified NL Central team that's trying to make a late run at Webb.

http://twitter.com/jcrasnick

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Jerry Crasnick:

There's also an unidentified NL Central team that's trying to make a late run at Webb.

I think I read somewhere the Cubs were after him. But if it's not the Cubs, it's probably the Cardinals.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Jerry Crasnick:

I would love to see the Reds make a run at Webb. But me thinks the Cards may be the unidentified NL Central team.

I hope it's the Reds. More or less a hometown kid fighting for his career.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I would love to see the Reds make a run at Webb. But me thinks the Cards may be the unidentified NL Central team.
    Pirates

What if its the Brewers? They are contenders now after all.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    What if its the Brewers? They are contenders now after all.
    If they add Webb and he ends up being healthy I'd start being a bit worried.

From Jayson Stark:

#Cubs & #Nationals are out on Brandon Webb, sources say. So Webb is down to 2 teams - #Rangers & NL Central "mystery team."

http://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/19083842031722496

I hope it's not the Cardinals.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I hope the Reds are in on Webb. Would take some pressure off the younger pitchers and add depth. Plus a pitcher could be included in a deal to bring in a SS like Reyes.

Have to sign Webb to an incentive laden contract with 2 option years though. I wonder if that's the hang-up. No agent is going to let him go for more than 1 year in case he pitches lights out.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?