Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparky Anderson passes away at 76

Stat geek...and proud

Sparky Anderson passes away at 76

From Tom Gage (Tigers beat writer) on twitter.

Sparky Anderson seriously ill - is in hospice care at home in CA for what family says are "complications resulting from dementia"
    He'll be in my thoughts.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Sparky not doing well, bad news.

My prayers for the whole Anderson family.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

One of the true greats, a legend. This one will hurt. Me being die hard Reds fan, and my dad lifelong Tigers fan. Met him in the airport the day after the final game of the 84 World Series-I was with my dad, he was taking his mom to the airport. He signed a few things for me, and was so very nice and friendly. I was in 4'th grade, so sure you can imagine how cool that was for me.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

God speed, Sparky. Our prayers are with you and your family.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

God Bless Sparky! Up untill a few years ago, I had always though how cool it would be for Sparky to suprise return as Reds manager as he has always been (an old looking) young man in my mind. True Legend.

I have to come out of lurk mode for this.

Truely a special gentlemen, a baseball legend, and a personal favorite of mine.

Having just completed a hospice event here in my home, it actually makes me a little happy to know that a similar decision was made in allowing him to leave this world in familiar surroundings surrounded by family and friends.

God Bless Sparky Anderson.

Sparky and his family are in my prayers.

Well wishes to Sparky and his family.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

All the best, Sparky.
    "Another note: Gomes told me yesterday that Rolen and Cabrera congratulate teammates for 10-pitch ABs that end in outs, and for sacrificing themselves to get runners over. Gomes said hes never been on a team that did that, not even the World Series Rays." -PD

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    My prayers for the whole Anderson family.
    Ditto. When I was a kid, I thought Sparky Anderson was the only big league manager in the world. Godspeed, Sparkplug.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

A sad day for the Anderson family. We love you Sparky. There will never be another like you. We hold you in our thoughts and prayers.

gentlemen I suggest a toast to Sparky.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

One of my favorite Cincinnati sports icons of all-time.

Classic line in my family. One Christmas we were all talking sports, and my now deceased grandma, who has no knowledge about sports but was trying to fit in, makes the following comment: "The Bengals were never the same after they fired Sparky!" We all laughed hysterically and we remember that family moment every year at Christmas.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Ditto, I saw news on a crawl watching JRIB. Sad News Sad.
    Love goes out to the Anderson family.
    "it took me back in time thru dwindling joy
    to when i was such a guilt ridden catholic boy
    im evangelical agnostic now"
    Happy New Year Todd Snider

Yours A ChampCar Fanatic And In The Home Of Champange Velvet Beer,

Andy K.

Terre Haute Brewing CO.

Sparky invented the method by which a team of super-star/HOF players, can be made to play as a team.

BAKER12

Dusty talked with him in Spring Training and mentioned Sparky was struggling with his health. I remember at the time he was talking about losing his own dad and how Sparky was not doing well. Man, Sparky was a great interview. When I used to work in radio I interviewed him several times and ask one question and got 10 minutes of awesome tape.

Turn Off Ads?