Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo picked up

Arroyo picked up

Well Arroyo had his option year picked up today and they are reporting that a extention would be in the works.

now we wait and see about the others

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo picked up

No to an extension please.

gomes option picked up too. which means hes prob starting LF next year...

Cabrera and Harang not picked up. Good news for Janish.
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

If Cabrera doesn't come back I think the Reds will try to find somebody else to play shortstop. They seem reluctant to let Janish get the majority of the innings.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Glad they picked up Arroyo's option and hope they sign him to a reasonable extension.

A little surprised they picked up Gomes, but his contract is reasonable. I just dread watching Dusty start him 90% of the time in LF next season. I think we can do better offensively/defensively, even though I like Jonny as a clubhouse guy.

Not surprised by Harang or Cabrera. And I hope they give the job to the amazing defensive ability of Janish, and decent offensive ability.......yet they seem unwilling to give him a chance.

Any word on Hernandez at catcher?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Glad they picked up Arroyo's option and hope they sign him to a reasonable extension.

A little surprised they picked up Gomes, but his contract is reasonable. I just dread watching Dusty start him 90% of the time in LF next season. I think we can do better offensively/defensively, even though I like Jonny as a clubhouse guy.

Not surprised by Harang or Cabrera. And I hope they give the job to the amazing defensive ability of Janish, and decent offensive ability.......yet they seem unwilling to give him a chance.

Any word on Hernandez at catcher?
    I pretty much agree with this post, escpecially the Gomes part. I like his attitude and clubhouse presence but i think that thiers better options out thier. Your probably a little higher on Janish than I am. In fact I dont even think hes a decent hitter, I think hes well below an average MLB hitter but his defence is outstanding. But thats just me nit picking, overall i think were on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    I pretty much agree with this post, escpecially the Gomes part. I like his attitude and clubhouse presence but i think that thiers better options out thier. Your probably a little higher on Janish than I am. In fact I dont even think hes a decent hitter, I think hes well below an average MLB hitter but his defence is outstanding. But thats just me nit picking, overall i think were on the same page.
    I know that this isn't what any of you hear but compared to some of the very high priced players at that position last year Gomes numbers were better. I am actually going to try and find the report that I read on this and post it. I was actually very surprised. I would love to see Johnny Damon in Cincy. I think that the difference in his numbers between New york and Detroit were new york was a great park for his talents and well Detroit wasn't. Put him in our uni and I think that those numbers rebound. And he's a proven top of the order guy

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    Well he beat out Orlando last year in OBP, SLG, and OPS. It remains to be seen how he'll perform over the course of a season, but if he maintains his .260 BA he's well over the Mendoza line. Add in his great defense and he seems to be a serviceable MLB shortstop. He actually had a positive WAR even with his .211 season in 2009.
    Last edited by lonewolf371; 11-03-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Resident Hustleman

glad the option was picked up. still undecided on the extension part though

I like bringing him back for next year, but I'm hoping that it just stays at one year. Barring injury, by 2012, Chapman, Leake, Wood, Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey should be ready to take over the rotation. And there's already a surplus with those six, who are significantly cheaper. I know it takes more than just five starters to make it through the season, but we have serviceable guys in AAA like Maloney and Lecure who can be counted on for a couple starts. Barring injury, I would like to see the Reds let Arroyo go and spend the money on an area of greater need.

How I read it; the Reds are at a 58M payroll right now without offering arbitration to the following players yet:

Votto
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Bray
    Nix (3rd)
    Burton (2nd)

Last year, the payroll was at $76,151,500.

What occurred is exactly what we all expected. eh? I would love to see a Johnny Damon playing LF and leading off, but at the same time it's tough to argue with Gomes' numbers for the $$. Sans a LF that can either support batting behind Votto or lead off, and the $$ required to sign a Free Agent to fill the bill, It falls to Gomes. Maybe somebody emerges from the System, (Sappelt), or at least a viable Left-hand bat platoon (Dorn)? Dunno, but I expect some real interesting events at Spring Training, if not before..

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    Well he beat out Orlando last year in OBP, SLG, and OPS. It remains to be seen how he'll perform over the course of a season, but if he maintains his .260 BA he's well over the Mendoza line. Add in his great defense and he seems to be a serviceable MLB shortstop. He actually had a positive WAR even with his .211 season in 2009.
    you may be right. All I know is that the guy plays outstanding gold glove caliber defense and still can get a full time or even a part time gig at the major league level at a position were you dont even have to be that good with the bat to play at. Heck, thier were times this year when i forgot he was even on the team. And I know there are some that will blame Dusty like he has some blood vendeta against Janish, but maybe its because all the organizations higher ups that have been around the game thier whole life, that have seen Janish in practice, seen him hit in the cage on a daily basis, seen him in the clubhouse, (basically all the stuff that none of us on this board are able to see) feel that he cant hit at this level on an everyday basis.

I like these moves realistically but idealistically I'd want to look at other options for left field. There's only so much cash to go around and Gomes gives us good bang for the buck, but it would be so helpful to have a big bat or leadoff hitter. There has to be an assumption that Stubbs is going to get better and be able to leadoff, otherwise it would have been smarter to go for a LF who could bat leadoff. It does mean Heisey will be regulated to backup OF - and he'll get lots of opportunities if anyone goes down like last year.

I have faith in Janish. He's improved from the plate every year and put up better numbers than O-Cab. This is going to be an even stronger defensive team with Janish in the everyday lineup.

I wonder where Harang will land and if he'll be a starter again?

Turn Off Ads?