Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marty Brennaman on verge of re-upping with the Reds for three more years

Re: Marty Brennaman on verge of re-upping with the Reds for three more years

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    So you'd prefer it if he didn't have an opinion? Never went out on a limb? Had no bias and worded everything completely objectively? His job is to call the game in an entertaining and interesting manner, and I think he accomplishes that more than nearly anyone else in his profession.
    I'd prefer he didn't make up stats and pass them off as factual.
    I'd also prefer if he didn't rail hard on players, especially the young guys when they aren't perfect.
    A little criticism is fine, but constantly bashing the same players all year is tiresome.

Again, on the clinching game day, Marty made a huge stink about Bruce asking Dusty to play, and then when Bruce started the game with 2K's and grounding into a DP, Marty rode his rearend so hard, saying he needs to back it up, etc. Then when Bruce hits the HR, Marty makes the game call nicely, but where's the apology for dogging Bruce the entire game?

That's not going out on a limb. That's just being a grouch and bashing people.

Every year I find myself listening to fewer and fewer games. I used to listen to every game on the radio. Even last year, when they were contending, Marty was so bad, I could only stomach about 180 innings, spread out over multiple games.. Marty makes me turn off the radio. If other people enjoy listening to him criticize young pitchers for not "Trying hard enough" to locate a pitch perfectly, that's their choice.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It's well past the time for the bitter "Mr Know It All" to retire.
    If there's anyone that thinks he knows it all, it's Tracy "I played the game" Jones.

Every year I find myself listening to fewer and fewer games. I used to listen to every game on the radio. Even last year, when they were contending, Marty was so bad, I could only stomach about 180 innings, spread out over multiple games.. Marty makes me turn off the radio. If other people enjoy listening to him criticize young pitchers for not "Trying hard enough" to locate a pitch perfectly, that's their choice.
    So you won't mind that I/we will continue to listen?

I learned a long time ago to take some things Marty says with a grain of salt. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there will always be things that I, and others, will disagree with Marty about. But, I'm not going to hold that against him. The criticisms, obviously, bother you. And I can also tell when Marty goes too far. And I laugh. He's not the first guy that became grouchy in his old age. And I doubt there's many guys that can be thrown out that some people wouldn't take issue with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    If there's anyone that thinks he knows it all, it's Tracy "I played the game" Jones.
    Gotta agree with ya on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I agree that Tracy would not be the ideal candidate for a radio broadcaster. Still, I'd rather listen to him than Marty. Marty is that bad.

The "I played the game" thing is all part of Tracy's act. Just like him saying that women should not attend baseball games. His job is to get people to call the show. It's a lot easier to do that by saying absurd things than to talk about baseball.. Think about Doc Rodgers. He talks about baseball, but his show is a snooze fest.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

That's not going out on a limb. That's just being a grouch and bashing people.

Marty used to be good, even very good on some days. Now days he sometimes has problems rising to even Tim McCarver heights. Grumpy, grouchie, irrelevent stories about golf, tomatoes and Elvis spotlight his commentary---the game be damned.

A few days ago ESPN cut ties with John Miller---an announcer that far exceeds Marty's current level. I'd love for the Reds/WLW to grasp reality and put Marty out to pasture

Rem.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It struck me that it seems odd that we know about this. Marty renewing should be no big deal. He's surely not pulling down a budget-buster of a salary. I would figure that the biggest sticking point in the terms of his next deal should be how much he has to work and which games he works. Since the Reds have such a large rotating cast of announcers, it should be a simple matter to find another PBP guy from that group to fill in for Marty.

Could it be that the Reds might actually be considering NOT renewing him?

A few days ago ESPN cut ties with John Miller---an announcer that far exceeds Marty's current level. I'd love for the Reds/WLW to grasp reality and put Marty out to pasture
    I love Marty, but I do love Jon Miller so how bout they hire him as main TV guy, make Thom back-up, and tell Keels to hit the road.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    I love Marty, but I do love Jon Miller so how bout they hire him as main TV guy, make Thom back-up, and tell Keels to hit the road.

Jon Miller has great gig in his hometown, he's unavailable

Yeah, I know, it'd be nice if we could steal him though.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And there are probably people there who hate him, too.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    And there are probably people there who hate him, too.
    Yep, and there were guys that hated Hank Greenwald before him and Lon Simmons, and guys who hated Waite Hoyt and hated Red Barber.

Comes with the territory.

The game has so many nuances, as do people.

As a mix it's a potent cocktail.

Turn Off Ads?