Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marty Brennaman on verge of re-upping with the Reds for three more years

Marty Brennaman on verge of re-upping with the Reds for three more years

From Hal McCoy:

HALL OF FAME broadcaster Marty Brennaman is on the verge of re-upping with the Reds for three more years, which will give him 40 years as the team’s radio guy. And he says he’d like to do it six more years.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...ty_served.html

I'm glad. Marty is still one of the best in the game, IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marty Brennaman on verge of re-upping with the Reds for three more years

Count me on board for this also.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm a little surprised this wouldn't be the last 3 year deal. Marty's curmudgeonly shtick is starting to feel like it's coming from a guy who has one eye on retirement. 6 years is a lot of victory laps.

Haunted by walks

Winning may have revived his interest in continuing. I say give him two years with performance clauses.

Senor Votto

I hope he makes it 50 years with the team

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Winning may have revived his interest in continuing. I say give him two years with performance clauses.
    Based on # of innings?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

He can get on my nerves without doubt but his calls in big spots are always great. I know after the game in May where the Heisey to Cabrera to Hernandez relay ended the game against the Cards I got in my car and drove around just so I'd get to hear Martys call. His call of Jay Bruce's division clinching HR is my ringtone and my alarm sound. Guy makes some great calls.

Resident PED Expert

To be honest, it'll be weird to turn on 700WLW and not hear Marty's voice during the game. Anyone that every has been a fan of Reds baseball knows who Marty is. The Reds franchise understands that he is a big big part of their #1 radio rankings.

Other than the Dodgers I can't think of another team who builds around their main radio guy the way the Reds do.

So if he wants 15 more years I am all for it.

I'd very much like to see Jim Keltsch (sp?) paired with Marty more. He seems to keep a brake on MB's more sour tones, although it's also hard to say how much of that might have been the better results of this last season. Brantley seems to have the same effect, keeping Marty's dourness under control these days.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'd very much like to see Jim Keltsch (sp?) paired with Marty more. He seems to keep a brake on MB's more sour tones, although it's also hard to say how much of that might have been the better results of this last season. Brantley seems to have the same effect, keeping Marty's dourness under control these days.
    First, yeah, it's "Kelch". Second, I prefer Brantley for color, but with Marty taking so many innings off these days, yeah, overall, I prefer Kelch because he's much better (than Cowboy) at PBP.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    To be honest, it'll be weird to turn on 700WLW and not hear Marty's voice during the game. Anyone that every has been a fan of Reds baseball knows who Marty is. The Reds franchise understands that he is a big big part of their #1 radio rankings.

Other than the Dodgers I can't think of another team who builds around their main radio guy the way the Reds do.

So if he wants 15 more years I am all for it.
    One reason is that radio's not the main way for a team to promote itself anymore. When a team is figuring out its media "team" the television guys are much more of a commercial for the team. The radio team for most teams now is the guys who weren't good enough to do television.
    This is a shame for me because I really like listening to baseball games. I like listening to all sports, but baseball's really the one that can come through the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Agreed. Jim Kelch is a joy to listen to. I hope he lands a full-time job with the Reds soon either on radio or TV.

I wonder how many games Marty's new contract will call for? It sure seems like he took a lot of games off last year. My guess is Marty will ask to continue working fewer and fewer games

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wonder how many games Marty's new contract will call for? It sure seems like he took a lot of games off last year. My guess is Marty will ask to continue working fewer and fewer games
    It really wouldn't surprise me if he does a Vin Scully and just does home games and road games that are close by. He's earned that consideration and if he wants to do something like that then he should be allowed to do it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm just glad the Reds have a good chance to field a quality ball club for those next three years.
    Listening to a disgusted Marty is no fun.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?