Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marty Brennaman on verge of re-upping with the Reds for three more years

Re: Marty Brennaman on verge of re-upping with the Reds for three more years

It was nice to hear Marty telling some good Sparky Anderson stories today.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    It really wouldn't surprise me if he does a Vin Scully and just does home games and road games that are close by. He's earned that consideration and if he wants to do something like that then he should be allowed to do it.
    I believe Marty would rather take his off days on home stands, he loves playing all those golf courses on the road for free.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Last edited by Matt700wlw; 11-06-2010 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Based on # of innings?
    Or based on number of disparging remarks against his own team?

Even with the team winning, Marty was a grouch. He was bashing Bruce on the clinching game and riding him hard, until Bruce hit the HR. He has little patience for the rookie pitchers, thinking they can throw the perfect pitch at will, if they'd only try harder. I remember a time earlier in the season when the team was in first place, yet Marty had to grumble "And once again, the Reds fail to get to 10 games over 500".. :thumbdown

The nice thing about this year was that Marty took more breaks/vacations. It improved the quality of the radio broadcast.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Even with the team winning, Marty was a grouch. He was bashing Bruce on the clinching game and riding him hard, until Bruce hit the HR. He has little patience for the rookie pitchers, thinking they can throw the perfect pitch at will, if they'd only try harder. I remember a time earlier in the season when the team was in first place, yet Marty had to grumble "And once again, the Reds fail to get to 10 games over 500".. :thumbdown
    Well stated. IMO, Marty gets a pass from too many of us because of beloved childhood memories or a perception that he has tenure and should be permitted to say whatever he pleases.

Despite having never played an inning of ML baseball, Marty does all of that griping and never, ever admits that any of it turned out to be wrong. I wish sometimes that there were transcripts of the game broadcasts, so that we could read his exact words (and discuss them in a more objective way) and the Reds FO could hold him more accountable. A memorable call of a walk-off home run should not overshadow 8-1/2 innings of slagging on the home team for being behind on the scoreboard.

At least they haven't turned to Tracy Jones on the broadcast team... yet...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    At least they haven't turned to Tracy Jones on the broadcast team... yet...
    Honestly, at this point, I think I would prefer Tracy Jones.. At least he still likes the game of baseball and wouldn't consider it such a major chore to show up for work.

Marty is clearly burned out. I don't know if he still does the job for the money or if he feels the franchise won't survive without him, but he should've retired years ago and enjoyed his life.

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Honestly, at this point, I think I would prefer Tracy Jones.. At least he still likes the game of baseball and wouldn't consider it such a major chore to show up for work.

Marty is clearly burned out. I don't know if he still does the job for the money or if he feels the franchise won't survive without him, but he should've retired years ago and enjoyed his life.
    You gotta be kidding. Marty's awesome, so what if he's a little negative at times. He's great. Tracy Jones... seriously?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    You gotta be kidding. Marty's awesome, so what if he's a little negative at times. He's great. Tracy Jones... seriously?

Tracy isn't bad when he's talking about baseball. He'd take the announcing job seriously. I have not listened to him for awhile, but his radio job was to fill 3-4 hours of airtime and get people to call in. It was his job to make up people like "Richard" to get people fired up and calling in.

Marty used to be awesome, but over the years, he's killed my enthusiasm for listening to the Reds on the radio. Even this year, a few times, he was so obnoxious, I just had to turn the radio off. It's well past the time for the bitter "Mr Know It All" to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Well stated. IMO, Marty gets a pass from too many of us because of beloved childhood memories or a perception that he has tenure and should be permitted to say whatever he pleases.

Despite having never played an inning of ML baseball, Marty does all of that griping and never, ever admits that any of it turned out to be wrong. I wish sometimes that there were transcripts of the game broadcasts, so that we could read his exact words (and discuss them in a more objective way) and the Reds FO could hold him more accountable. A memorable call of a walk-off home run should not overshadow 8-1/2 innings of slagging on the home team for being behind on the scoreboard.
    Sounds like selective memory to me. The Marty I know can definitely be grouchy but he'll also admit if he's wrong about something.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Sounds like selective memory to me. The Marty I know can definitely be grouchy but he'll also admit if he's wrong about something.
    Agree completely.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

If he didn't, he'd be almost completely unbearable. Fortunately, he admits to being wrong, and Marty is one of the best ever.

Sure, every once in a while Thom or someone will call him out for making an outrageous statement that has no basis in fact.

Once Marty was ranting about Dunn. Marty pulled out of the air "Dunn hits more HR solo then with men on base". Stewart called him on it. Marty dug in his heels. Finally Stewart got the stats which proved Marty wrong. Marty begrudgingly admited he was wrong, but made a point to say that Dunn still sucked..

To me, that's not graciously admiting that you are wrong. Marty makes up "information" and blasts it on the radio as gospel. He's totally irresponsbile. If he has a grudge against a person, he has no qualms about making up information to discredit that person.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Sure, every once in a while Thom or someone will call him out for making an outrageous statement that has no basis in fact.

Once Marty was ranting about Dunn. Marty pulled out of the air "Dunn hits more HR solo then with men on base". Stewart called him on it. Marty dug in his heels. Finally Stewart got the stats which proved Marty wrong. Marty begrudgingly admited he was wrong, but made a point to say that Dunn still sucked..

To me, that's not graciously admiting that you are wrong. Marty makes up "information" and blasts it on the radio as gospel. He's totally irresponsbile. If he has a grudge against a person, he has no qualms about making up information to discredit that person.
    So you'd prefer it if he didn't have an opinion? Never went out on a limb? Had no bias and worded everything completely objectively? His job is to call the game in an entertaining and interesting manner, and I think he accomplishes that more than nearly anyone else in his profession.

His job is to call the game in an entertaining and interesting manner,
    Does that include golf stories, inside jokes and rants against enemies like Bowden, Tony and Buck?

Because I think he accomplishes that more than nearly anyone else in his profession.

Still he's million times better than Tracy Jones and he'll decide when he'll leave the Reds, my only hope is a winning team makes him less Oscar the Grouch and more Kermit the Frog.

Turn Off Ads?