Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Re: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

This really has little to do with the current investigation of Cam Newton, but............. Cam Newton had some serious character issues before his rise at Auburn. And this story here doesn't really bode well for his character.
    To be fair to Newton he has worked hard during the last two years to atone for his freshman year.

Is he a saint? Who knows really except those who truly know him? But when evaluating his character, i'd suggest the further one goes into his history, the less it speaks to his character now.

Student athletes actually attend class and do their own homework at Auburn BTW.

Also Newton doesn't drive an Escalade either. He putts around campus on a used moped which has got to be a surreal sight...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    To be fair to Newton he has worked hard during the last two years to atone for his freshman year.

Is he a saint? Who knows really except those who truly know him? But when evaluating his character, i'd suggest the further one goes into his history, the less it speaks to his character now.

Also Newton doesn't drive an Escalade either. He putts around campus on a used moped which has got to be a surreal sight...
    I'd suggest that it's very doubtful, if Newton is guilty of the allegations, his character has changed much since then. Maturation can and does happen, but from 18 to 20? Very doubtful.

As far as attending class and doing homework at Auburn, none of us have absolutely any way of knowing that. My experience covering college athletics, however, tells me that there are kids not attending class and having work done for them at every major university. So to say it doesn't happen at Auburn would likely be very, very inaccurate.

I do think the kid deserves the benefit of the doubt, but these new allegations don't shed a very good light on him. And what's worse is that Auburn has done everything to rip apart the report except for actually deny that those things happened.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

There is a lot of smoke around this kid. With Newton's colorful past he has lost the benefit of doubt concerning issues surrounding him. It would have been nice to see him stay squeaky clean after he left Florida but unfortunately for him that did not happen. Now whether or he, or his father, actually did receive money for his collegiate decision in unknown right now. But where there is smoke, there is fire.

There is a lot of smoke around this kid. With Newton's colorful past he has lost the benefit of doubt concerning issues surrounding him. It would have been nice to see him stay squeaky clean after he left Florida but unfortunately for him that did not happen. Now whether or he, or his father, actually did receive money for his collegiate decision in unknown right now. But where there is smoke, there is fire.
    As of today, he has been squeaky clean since leaving Florida and that's the point.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    So Urban Meyer is now the Secret Police of the SEC?
    What did Meyer have to do with this coming out? that's right, not a thing, except in the paranoid minds of some Alabama radio heads.

If any other school in the SEC might have an ax to grind with Newton, look to the coach of Mississippi State.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    What did Meyer have to do with this coming out? that's right, not a thing, except in the paranoid minds of some Alabama radio heads.

If any other school in the SEC might have an ax to grind with Newton, look to the coach of Mississippi State.
    Florida saves their sabotaging efforts for college basketball anyway.

As of today, he has been squeaky clean since leaving Florida and that's the point.
    Well.......... with the exception of his name being brought up about being paid to go to Auburn.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Florida saves their sabotaging efforts for college basketball anyway.
    Go Gators!

It seems to me that Mississippi State handled their business pretty much the way one would hope they would've.

ESPN really had to go with the story they wrote too. Newton is a Heisman candidate playing for a team that has a chance to play in the championship game. Their story seemed pretty fair and factual with everything attributed to transparent source.

After that, a great deal of the commentary has simply been supposition and we shouldn't confuse the smoke of supposition with the presence of fire.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-09-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Well.......... with the exception of his name being brought up about being paid to go to Auburn.
    At this point it appears he had zero control over that (i.e. there has yet to be an intimate link established between Newton and Rogers) so it really shouldn't be used as a condemnation of his character.

Pitino Jr. and Eric Bledsoe's transcript.

At this point it appears he had zero control over that (i.e. there has yet to be an intimate link established between Newton and Rogers) so it really shouldn't be used as a condemnation of his character.
    But a the same time why are these issues coming out about Newton? And why right now? I get it that he is the front runner for the Heisman but there have been Heisman candidates in the past who haven't had these types of reports surface. You never saw negative, NCAA illegal type reports surfacing against Tebow, Bradford, Stafford, McCoy, Suh, etc.

Im not saying that Newton is guilty of anything. I am just saying that I believe there is some truth to the reports that have surfaced against Newton. Especially when you considered his checkered past. Is it fair? Well not exactly but that is life.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Pitino Jr. and Eric Bledsoe's transcript.
    Oh, more Malarkey
    Go Gators!

But a the same time why are these issues coming out about Newton? And why right now? I get it that he is the front runner for the Heisman but there have been Heisman candidates in the past who haven't had these types of reports surface. You never saw negative, NCAA illegal type reports surfacing against Tebow, Bradford, Stafford, McCoy, Suh, etc.

Im not saying that Newton is guilty of anything. I am just saying that I believe there is some truth to the reports that have surfaced against Newton. Especially when you considered his checkered past. Is it fair? Well not exactly but that is life.
    I think it's absolutely true that Rogers tried to get MSU to agree to pay money. That said, I don't think Rogers was acting at the behest of the Newtons. It seems most likely that Rogers was probably hoping to go to them with cash to try to sway them to his camp given what is known about how Rogers has operated in the past and the lack of ties between Rogers, the Newtons and Auburn.

Newton's freshman year is old news.

Latest update on SportsCenter is looking a lot worse for Newton (if the new allegations are true, of course). They are saying Newton wanted to go to Miss. State but his dad forced him to go to Auburn because "the money was too good".

Turn Off Ads?