Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214

If I wasn't so cynical about Auburn and the SEC I might not believe this story. But Auburn is dirty in so many ways. Most of their athletes honestly couldn't get into school at University of Phoenix.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

I think it would be prudent to let this story play out prior to casting judgement.

To me, the most disturbing fact was that Newton's father had the final say on the choice of Auburn over Mississippi State.

This, despite the fact that Newton preferred MSU and had a great trust and working relationship with their head coach.

Yeah, this is the type of story that's likely to go nowhere. It's doubtful any evidence of anything exists beyond what this guy is saying. Having said all that, I highly doubt this guy just made this story up out of thin air, even going as far as to contact the NCAA.

But I also think that before people line up with pitchforks they should realize that even if this is true, it's not likely an isolated incident and it could just as easily happen at our favorite school.

But this has the potential to be Reggie Bush II.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

While I think it is far too soon to jump to conclusions, I think the timing of this story is pretty interesting. It sounds like an NCAA investigation has been going on for awhile but it's kind of curious that the story has just now become public, a little over a month before the Heisman ceremony.

I can't help but wonder if an allegation like this is going to cause some Heisman voters to waver a bit on Newton, particularly after the Reggie Bush fiasco.

The story doesn't make any sense to me, when Newton parted ways with Florida nobody cared where he was going, one year at a JR college and all of a sudden he's asking for 200k?

Sounds like baloney.
    Go Gators!

I realize big-time athletics is dirty), but $200,000 is a crapload of cash.

Sadly, I'd have believed $20,000 easily.

The timing, as others have mentioned, also make this a curious move.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214

If I wasn't so cynical about Auburn and the SEC I might not believe this story. But Auburn is dirty in so many ways. Most of their athletes honestly couldn't get into school at University of Phoenix.
    While I believe the SEC is more 'dirty' than most other conferences, I think it's funny that people of other conferences make fun of the SEC for being so dirty when I'm pretty sure just about every major DI program has something like this going on.

Cam Newton publicly has said he wanted to go to Miss State but his dad decided he would go to Auburn.

Cam's Father needs money so his church will not be shut down for building code violations.

Cam was supposed to go to Miss. State.

Cam's Father tells him to go to Auburn and makes the decision and his church is suddenly rebuilt perfectly.

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure this one out. If it smells bad and comes from the Auburn program it is probably bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I realize big-time athletics is dirty), but $200,000 is a crapload of cash.

Sadly, I'd have believed $20,000 easily.

The timing, as others have mentioned, also make this a curious move.
    I agree. If Auburn were throwing out $200,000 they'd have nabbed someone better than a JC quarterback. I realize Newton's been great, but there isn't a single person in the land that thought he'd be this good. College boosters don't pay $200,000 for maybe

If they had $200,000 to spend on a guy who might be great, they'd have been able to pay for more than defensive coordinator with a losing record at Iowa State to be their head coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The story doesn't make any sense to me, when Newton parted ways with Florida nobody cared where he was going, one year at a JR college and all of a sudden he's asking for 200k?

Sounds like baloney.
    This sounds like the Anthony Davis story at Kentucky, except with UK offering that kind of money it would be more believable.

Seriously though, anyone want to picture Cam Newton replacing Tim Tebow in Florida right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

Sounds like baloney.
    Not that I think this story is perfectly legit, but it's not for the reason you list. Cam Newton won a national championship in his year at JC and was considered the top QB recruit in the country. Rivals had him as the #1 QB for both high school or JC and the only 5 star QB recruit. Cam Newton was a very sought after recruit. He's not catching people by surprise this year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The more I think about this the more simple of an explanation comes to light. Cam Newton is an uber talented QB who is trying to choose a school to play football at. Cam Newton's father is bishop of several churches and one of his church has fallen into disrepair. Cam's father decides to pimp Cam out for a "donation" to repair his church. A donor donates $200K, they get Cam Newton, and the donor gets a tax write off, and Cam's fathers church gets saved.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The more I think about this the more simple of an explanation comes to light. Cam Newton is an uber talented QB who is trying to choose a school to play football at. Cam Newton's father is bishop of several churches and one of his church has fallen into disrepair. Cam's father decides to pimp Cam out for a "donation" to repair his church. A donor donates $200K, they get Cam Newton, and the donor gets a tax write off, and Cam's fathers church gets saved.

Praise Jebus!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Thank the lord that he didn't sell his jersey on ebay or something.

He would have already been kicked out of CFB.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I mentioned this in the thread awhile ago about agents paying college players...where is the harm in the above scenario?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Turn Off Ads?