Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Re: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

The NCAA will have the final facts. Right now in my view ESPN is trying to fill voids between actual additional facts. The original story is good reporting and there is no way ESPN couldn't go with it. But seriously, a major link on their NCAA FB page last Saturday was that Newton received a warm response from fans at Auburn's homecoming game? Seriously? Does it really matter that Cam might have had a checkered academic record in Florida given the laptop etc? Not really-it's kind of like knowing the name of Tiger's G/F. It doesn't really add anything tangible. Truthfully it just makes Florida look a little sleazy because if true, someone had to leak the info.

Citing unnamed sources in a blog entry really isn't a high bar either-its filler.

I'm confident in this though, I'll have to see it to believe it concerning the assertion that Auburn did anything wrong in this issue. That's not because I like seeing the eagle circle above Jordan-Hare stadium either. Auburn, the NCAA, and the SEC apparently knew of the Rogers allegation in January. I just don't buy that Auburn's compliance officer would've overlooked anything improper on Auburn's part given the amount of time between then and the start of the season and apparetnly they've been through Cam's finances, his father's finances and those of his father's church.

Tangible links between the Newtons and Rogers might emerge but he is no friend of the Auburn program.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-10-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The NCAA will have the final facts. Right now in my view ESPN is trying to fill voids between actual additional facts. The original story is good reporting and there is no way ESPN couldn't go with it. But seriously, a major link on their NCAA FB page last Saturday was that Newton received a warm response from fans at Auburn's homecoming game? Seriously? Does it really matter that Cam might have had a checkered academic record in Florida given the laptop etc? Not really-it's kind of like knowing the name of Tiger's G/F. It doesn't really add anything tangible. Truthfully it just makes Florida look a little sleazy because if true, someone had to leak the info.
    It very may well just be filler on ESPN's part. But I do find it somewhat ironic that day in day out negative stories are coming out about Newton.

In Stewart Mandle's column today he made mention of why this academic cheating may be a bigger deal than once thought. He said that Newton and his father said he left Florida because he had fallen on the depth chart, not that he was on the verge of getting kicked out. Make no mistake about it, if you are caught cheating at the college level you are gone. As long as you are a "student athlete" (which is another topic all together) you get caught cheating you should be kicked out of school. IMO it shows the Newton's willingness to bend the truth/lie in order to benefit their son.

Citing unnamed sources in a blog entry really isn't a high bar either-its filler.

I'm confident in this though, I'll have to see it to believe it concerning the assertion that Auburn did anything wrong in this issue. That's not because I like seeing the eagle circle above Jordan-Hare stadium either. Auburn, the NCAA, and the SEC apparently knew of the Rogers allegation in January. I just don't buy that Auburn's compliance officer would've overlooked anything improper on Auburn's part given the amount of time between then and the start of the season and apparetnly they've been through Cam's finances, his father's finances and those of his father's church.

Tangible links between the Newtons and Rogers might emerge but he is no friend of the Auburn program.
    Auburn isn't Florida, Alabama, or LSU. They are a nice SEC program but hardly a top tier program. I believe that they would be willing to bend the rules in order to get a guy like Newton. As it appears now Auburn isn't in trouble but the case has yet to be closed. I do wonder if the SEC, or the media for that matter, new the depth of accusations against Newton in Jan. There are new allegations coming out every day.

At this point it pretty much obvious that $ money got him to Auburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Nothing's obvious at this point. All we have are unnamed sources

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    What, you're telling me people cheat to get recruits at the highest levels of college football?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If that church showed a 6 figure increase in donations then that's good enough for me. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for
    In theory there still wouldn't be a paper trail to have a six-figure increase. A good percentage of an offering plate is cash. If a booster gave cash to Newton's dad, I guess he could spread out the money over a period of time to help the church while keeping some of the money for himself.

That said, it would be highly unlikely. I'm guessing it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    In theory there still wouldn't be a paper trail to have a six-figure increase. A good percentage of an offering plate is cash. If a booster gave cash to Newton's dad, I guess he could spread out the money over a period of time to help the church while keeping some of the money for himself.

That's it'll take an "investigation". ESPN said today that it'll likely going into next year.

But you can't let allegations alone sink this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    What, you're telling me people cheat to get recruits at the highest levels of college football?
    Lol.

Also, lol at Newton writing his name on a different students paper without that students knowledge. Sure fooled 'em on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Truthfully it just makes Florida look a little sleazy because if true, someone had to leak the info.
    It was almost 2 years ago, this little weird 'blame Urban' vibe from all the Auburn sites is just off the wall.

A short list of others who would benefit from getting this information out..

The AD at Georgia, who used to be the assistant AD at Florida, gee who is Auburn playing this week?
    The heqad coach at Mississippi St.
    The WR coach at LSU, had an acrimonious departure from Florida (he quit via post it note), wouldn't mind dragging everyone into some mud.
    The kid who had his paper stolen by Newton.
    Go Gators!

I'd think it would be extremely difficult to hide $200K in cash.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It was almost 2 years ago, this little weird 'blame Urban' vibe from all the Auburn sites is just off the wall.

A short list of others who would benefit from getting this information out..

The AD at Georgia, who used to be the assistant AD at Florida, gee who is Auburn playing this week?
    The heqad coach at Mississippi St.
    The WR coach at LSU, had an acrimonious departure from Florida (he quit via post it note), wouldn't mind dragging everyone into some mud.
    The kid who had his paper stolen by Newton.
    I agree completely. Florida didn't have to be the source.

This post is intended to neither prove or disprove the guilt of Cam Newton in this case.

One of the few good points Alan Cutler ever made when he was on the radio, "If you want to pay a recruit, just do everything in cash." It's not like whoever decided to pay Newton couldn't take the cash out of his(their) bank accounts. If you have enough money to spend $200K to get a 20 year old to play for your team for two years, you have enough to take $200k out of the bank without them asking any questions. Plus of course he(they) could spread it out over any period of time.

I think the interesting conversation is not whether he did it or not, as that will likely be proven or disproven or forgotten over time. The question is if he did it, can the NCAA prove it?
    If he didn't do it, this is a huge shame because my guess is there's no way to prove he didn't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    This post is intended to neither prove or disprove the guilt of Cam Newton in this case.

One of the few good points Alan Cutler ever made when he was on the radio, "If you want to pay a recruit, just do everything in cash." It's not like whoever decided to pay Newton couldn't take the cash out of his(their) bank accounts. If you have enough money to spend $200K to get a 20 year old to play for your team for two years, you have enough to take $200k out of the bank without them asking any questions. Plus of course he(they) could spread it out over any period of time.

I think the interesting conversation is not whether he did it or not, as that will likely be proven or disproven or forgotten over time. The question is if he did it, can the NCAA prove it?
    If he didn't do it, this is a huge shame because my guess is there's no way to prove he didn't do it.
    Whenever you withdraw a large amount of cash (I believe its around 10K, the bank flags that transaction. But I agree with you about paying someone in cash, there is less of a money trail, especially if you are a person who can afford that amount of money. But then you have the issue of a guy like Cam Newton depositing 200K in cash in a bank account. How do you do that? You aren't going to keep that amount of cash lying around your college apartment are you?

The thing with money is it always leaves a trail. Follow the money is an easy way of solving the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Whenever you withdraw a large amount of cash (I believe its around 10K, the bank flags that transaction. But I agree with you about paying someone in cash, there is less of a money trail, especially if you are a person who can afford that amount of money. But then you have the issue of a guy like Cam Newton depositing 200K in cash in a bank account. How do you do that? You aren't going to keep that amount of cash lying around your college apartment are you?

The thing with money is it always leaves a trail. Follow the money is an easy way of solving the problem.
    $200 K is a slightly different animal, but let's just assume that it was one businessman who paid for Newton's services, if he could pay $200K for something as extravagent as securing a recruit's committment, I think it's a good bet he's taken $200K out of the bank before for other purposes. So a bank may flag the withdrawl, but it's not like they wouldn't let him take it.

Also important, paying a recruit is not illegal, so even if he did take $200K out of the bank and even if the bank did flag the withdrawl, and even if Mr. Newton received the cash and deposited it into his church's coffers, there's nothing any bank will object to, and if the NCAA asks the bank on either end, they'll probably be told to pound sand. If the NCAA asks for the church's financial records, the pastor and church board can say no. Even if the NCAA figures out which booster paid the tab, there's nothing they can do to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?