Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Re: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    jojo, you're approaching this topic as a defense attorney would approach defending their client. Nothing wrong with that given your relationship with Auburn. But I doubt anyone is buying that you're not approaching this with bias line.
    I'm approaching this topic like facts are important. Not rushing to judgment is a symptom of bias? If one wants to argue that my approach is being adopted because of a bias, who cares? It's the approach that SHOULD be taken as a matter of course.

Seriously, I'm blinded because I assert the wsbtv report didn't quote Cecil directly? How is that element of the story even open to interpretation?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

But you're not withholding judgment. You've given several "it's becoming clear to me" statements in this thread. You've jumped to conclusions using logic pretty much assuming if we don't have confirmed evidence in front of right now, then none must exist. At least that's what I've taken from several of your comments on this thread.

No one is saying Cam should be thrown in jail, or even be declared ineligible based on what WE (note: not the authorities on the matter) know at the moment. But you're acting like there's no reason to believe Cam, or his father, was out there soliciting money for a commitment to play college football. I don't need to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to assess what the most likely scenario was based on the evidence we do have.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

But you're not withholding judgment. You've given several "it's becoming clear to me" statements in this thread. You've jumped to conclusions using logic pretty much assuming if we don't have confirmed evidence in front of right now, then none must exist. At least that's what I've taken from several of your comments on this thread.

No one is saying Cam should be thrown in jail, or even be declared ineligible based on what WE (note: not the authorities on the matter) know at the moment. But you're acting like there's no reason to believe Cam, or his father, was out there soliciting money for a commitment to play college football. I don't need to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to assess what the most likely scenario was based on the evidence we do have.
    Why not quote a specific statement so that we can actually discuss it in turn?

Concerning Rogers' involvement in the recruitment of Cam, available info seems to suggest he had a very small influence and that was limited to MSU. New facts need to emerge for the narrative that "Cecil was aggressively shopping Cam for money" is established as the most likely interpretation. Clearly Rogers was aggressively trying to get money from Bell but it's unclear if Cecil requested it or if Rogers initiated the effort. There has been nothing indicating improprieties in either Auburn's or OU's recruitment of Cam at this point. Rogers is the thing that doesn't look like the others in this story so far. Why is that?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Next thing you know they're going to try to say Reggie Bush was dirty while at USC. Say it isn't so.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

And so ends the saga:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...am_newton.html

The NCAA has has ruled Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is eligible to compete after looking into his recruitment at Auburn and Mississippi State.

Well it's over from an enforcement standpoint this year, but I can't believe they found him eligible considering;
    According to facts of the case agreed upon by Auburn University and the NCAA enforcement staff, the student-athlete's father and an owner of a scouting service worked together to actively market the student-athlete as a part of a pay-for-play scenario in return for Newton's commitment to attend college and play football. NCAA rules (Bylaw 12.3.3) do not allow individuals or entities to represent a prospective student-athlete for compensation to a school for an athletic scholarship.
    As far as I could tell from what I had read, the minute his father asked for money(which it appears Auburn and the NCAA agreed that he did) Newton would be ineligible, even if he never was paid to go to Auburn.

Sort of the same thing as associating with gamblers is enough to get you a never ending suspension from baseball, simply asking for money to play at a certain university invites the suspicion of cheating.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Well it's over from an enforcement standpoint this year, but I can't believe they found him eligible considering;

As far as I could tell from what I had read, the minute his father asked for money(which it appears Auburn and the NCAA agreed that he did) Newton would be ineligible, even if he never was paid to go to Auburn.

Sort of the same thing as associating with gamblers is enough to get you a never ending suspension from baseball, simply asking for money to play at a certain university invites the suspicion of cheating.
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-ncaa/related/

The reason for Newton’s reinstatement is simple. ”Based on the information available to the reinstatement staff at this time, we do not have sufficient evidence that Cam Newton or anyone from Auburn was aware of this activity,” said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president for academic and membership affairs.

Newton was unaware of his father’s actions according to the facts gathered in the NCAA’s investigation and therefore did not participate — i.e. play in games — while ineligible, and is therefore eligible for reinstatement under NCAA bylaws.

You have to be incredibly naive to believe Cecil Newton asked for money at MSU and then suddenly took nothing from Auburn. Auburn wasn't even a big time player in his recruitment.

The NCAA isn't saying Auburn didn't pay Newton. They are just saying they have no info on that right now. I think anyone with half a brain would assume Cecil Newton got cash from someone at Auburn.

The NCAA has opened a HUGE can of worms here. It's ok now for intermediaries to ask for money? Players will just pretend they knew nothing about it and the highest bidding booster will be cheating legally. I love it.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    The NCAA has opened a HUGE can of worms here. It's ok now for intermediaries to ask for money? Players will just pretend they knew nothing about it and the highest bidding booster will be cheating legally. I love it.
    That's my thought too. There's already a giant gray area with recruiting services which a high school player will pay to market their services to universities. Those work mainly with guys who are low on the totem pole and are attempting to get a scholarship somewhere though. Imagine if they could get a cut for every blue chip prospect they move to a university. They could even cover it in a way where I'll get Cam Newton to go to Auburn if you also give scholarships to my two other clients.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's my thought too. There's already a giant gray area with recruiting services which a high school player will pay to market their services to universities. Those work mainly with guys who are low on the totem pole and are attempting to get a scholarship somewhere though. Imagine if they could get a cut for every blue chip prospect they move to a university. They could even cover it in a way where I'll get Cam Newton to go to Auburn if you also give scholarships to my two other clients.
    Just imagine if you were a USC fan. They got nailed because of basically nothing, IMO. This is all about perception. People wanted USC destroyed because they flaunted their "pro style program" in the NCAA's face.

Auburn and the SEC schools just know how to cheat better. They always have.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Lol.

Also, lol at Newton writing his name on a different students paper without that students knowledge. Sure fooled 'em on that one.
    Not to mention stolen laptop he threw out the window at Florida,driving on a suspended license 6 times as well.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

LOL!!!! Cam had no knowledge that his own father was asking for money for him to play. Yeeeeahhhhhhhh, right! If you believe that you're either incredibly naive or incredibly stubborn.

I agree that this is not an insignificant ruling for the precedent it sets. I also don't think this is the end we'll hear of Cam Newton's recruitment.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

LOL!!!! Cam had no knowledge that his own father was asking for money for him to play. Yeeeeahhhhhhhh, right! If you believe that you're either incredibly naive or incredibly stubborn.

I agree that this is not an insignificant ruling for the precedent it sets. I also don't think this is the end we'll hear of Cam Newton's recruitment.
    I repeat, I did not sleep with that woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Just imagine if you were a USC fan. They got nailed because of basically nothing, IMO. This is all about perception. People wanted USC destroyed because they flaunted their "pro style program" in the NCAA's face.

Auburn and the SEC schools just know how to cheat better. They always have.
    Southern charm!

Couple of things...

1. I would bet this isn't over. The NCAA ruled on this now because they were struggling to gather any conclusive evidence. But it doesn't dismiss anyone from future problems if more information comes out. If he's found out to later be ineligible, Auburn could still have to vacate the entire season, because

2. As I told you all along, the school needed to make Newton ineligible and request reinstatement. That's exactly what happened here, and voila. Problem for Auburn is, one could question why they didn't do this at the start of the season, they didn't do this in the middle of the season and didn't do this any of the last few games when all these rumors were floating over their heads.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?