Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Re: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    You might want to read up on that because that position is not correct.

From the AP report:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/05/sp...documents.html

This states very clearly the documents did indeed indicate Cecil had solicited money. Clearly the position that was held earlier in this discussion that he never solicited money was, thereby, off the mark.
    Again not from Auburn. I've clearly stated multiple times in this thread that Cecil and Rogers attempted to solicit money from MSU. I'm very comfortable with my contribution to this thread being in the archives.

Again some in this thread were horribly wrong having actually gotten very little concerning the heart of this issue correct. Some who tried to carefully argue the facts as a matter of course essentially nailed it out of the park.

The NCAA completely cleared Auburn and Cam after an extensive investigation that exhausted all fertile avenues of inquiry.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'll disagree with that one, jojo. I think it sets an incredibly dangerous precedent for the families of athletes to ask for cash, and, if they do get caught, then deniability opens the question of another Newton-style ruling.

I realize the NCAA supposedly takes each investigation on a case-by-case basis, but I question the decision.

Of course, I have a major problem with the NCAA ruling committee anyway, so it may be a case of bias.
    The NCAA is supposed to be working on making a repeat of this scenario impossible.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I just hope anyone can bear their dishonesty with themselves when looking in the mirror if they try convincing themselves and others that Cecil "only" solicited money from one school. Anyone with a mere passing knowledge of supply and demand would try to leverage prospective bidders against one another if they truly want a better deal.

I think it's terribly laughable to suggest Cecil only tried to get money from one school. Yeah, right.
    First, given it has been established that MSU did not offer to pay Rogers, there could be no leverage.

Seriously though, here's the problem with the above position. At some point, the accumulation of facts trumps blind supposition and this issue has been thoroughly vetted. When a position remains intractable to new facts, the position has no foundation.

The NCAA conducted a lengthy investigation into Cam's recruitment. The NCAA, an institution with the reputation of getting the guy they gun for, gathered all of the facts that it felt it needed to fully investigate this issue and the NCAA cleared Auburn of wrongdoing. Why? They found no credible or persuasive evidence to substantiate such allegations and couldn't in good faith continue pursuing the issue. That's extremely striking language coming from the NCAA. Adjectives like dishonesty fail miserably when describing those that disagree with the position in the quote above....in fact the use of such adjectives is divorced from the facts.

Well, that's something I think we can all agree on finally - we're very comfortable with this thread going into the archives.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Well, that's something I think we can all agree on finally - we're very comfortable with this thread going into the archives.
    Probably should have happened a long time ago.

I don't believe there's really anything new to cover here, so we'll just shut er down where she is.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?