Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Re: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I'm definitely pulling for Auburn in all of this and hope his commitment to Auburn was completely above board and within NCAA rules and regulations.
    Why is that?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just read a story on ESPN.com that said Bond will be speaking to the FBI about this. I can't figure out why this has anything to do with the FBI. What could possible have happened that would require them to investigate?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I just read a story on ESPN.com that said Bond will be speaking to the FBI about this. I can't figure out why this has anything to do with the FBI. What could possible have happened that would require them to investigate?
    Maybe Barry Bonds gave him some steroids?

I'm wondering if maybe $200K changing hands in this kind of shady manner may have violated some federal laws

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm wondering if maybe $200K changing hands in this kind of shady manner may have violated some federal laws
    I figured it woud be an IRS issue, if the money exchanged hands, it's unreported income. Some perks and benefits are also considered taxable.

Apparently no money did change hands since Rogers was not able to convince Newton to go to MSU.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Why is that?
    Why wouldn't a fan of NCAA football have that hope?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Apparently no money did change hands since Rogers was not able to convince Newton to go to MSU.
    It's also possible money did change hands since he didn't end up at MSU.

Just sayin'
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It's also possible money did change hands since he didn't end up at MSU.

Just sayin'
    It's the least likely scenario given everything currently known.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I figured it woud be an IRS issue, if the money exchanged hands, it's unreported income. Some perks and benefits are also considered taxable.
    Does the FBI usually investigate tax evasion claims? I thought it was usually the IRS agents that did that

I don't know why you'd say that. They are investigating to see if money changed hands. If they were convinced that no payoffs occured then I imagine Newton would be cleared and everyone would go home

It's actually the most likely scenario. Since most of what has been alleged has turned out to be true, it's hard to ignore the other part of the allegations:

that Cam told Mississippi State coaches he had to go to Auburn because "the money was too good to pass up."

Considering the father has now partially admitted the story, it's a bigger leap to believe no money changed hands than to believe it didn't.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't know why you'd say that. They are investigating to see if money changed hands. If they were convinced that no payoffs occured then I imagine Newton would be cleared and everyone would go home
    I don't know why you're acting like they found something. I imagine Newton will be cleared concerning getting money and everyone has probably already gone home. The FBI is poking at Rogers BTW and is likely looking for evidence pointing toward his other shenanigans.

Why wouldn't a fan of NCAA football have that hope?
    A fan of NCAA football wouldn't wish such allegations to be true of any NCAA team but given his comments re: U of Tenn allegations, WMR clearly isn't that type of fan

I don't know why you're acting like they found something. I imagine Newton will be cleared concerning getting money and everyone has probably already gone home. The FBI is poking at Rogers BTW and is likely looking for evidence pointing toward his other shenanigans.
    I don't know if they've found anything but I do think that's what they're looking for

Turn Off Ads?