Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bruce qualifies for Super 2

Bruce qualifies for Super 2

Not sure if this is a big surprise or not.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...wo-status.html

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bruce qualifies for Super 2

I think the club was anticipating this would be the case, so basically it's not much of a surprise. Understandably, it does add to the calculating they'll have to do.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The Reds should try extremely hard to lock up Bruce for the next 6-7 years. I'd offer him $50 million over 7 years and see where it goes from there.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Let's hope they didn't delay calling him up his rookie year in order to miss the Super 2 designation 'cause they blew it if they did

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The Reds should try extremely hard to lock up Bruce for the next 6-7 years. I'd offer him $50 million over 7 years and see where it goes from there.
    Agreed. Bruce has already said he's open to signing a five or six year deal with the Reds. Hopefully they can get something done with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Let's hope they didn't delay calling him up his rookie year in order to miss the Super 2 designation 'cause they blew it if they did
    I think it's pretty safe to say that it was a factor. They missed by a few days, but admittedly it's not easy to project. Of course, if they'd delayed another two weeks, there would have been little question.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

With the increase in long term contracts for young players, I think we're going to see more top prospects break camp with the team. Imagine if the Giants had missed the playoffs by 1 game after holding Posey back, for example. It just doesn't make sense.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    With the increase in long term contracts for young players, I think we're going to see more top prospects break camp with the team. Imagine if the Giants had missed the playoffs by 1 game after holding Posey back, for example. It just doesn't make sense.
    GMs have to also weigh the potential backlash of "rushing the young guy" that the peanut gallery will bust out if the prospect flops. Unless the team improves while the youngster produces, you are really in a tough spot.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    GMs have to also weigh the potential backlash of "rushing the young guy" that the peanut gallery will bust out if the prospect flops. Unless the team improves while the youngster produces, you are really in a tough spot.
    Backlash from whom? I really don't think GMs are worried than fans will stop showing up to the park if they bring up the hot young talent and he struggles. If it's a dissent in the org issue, then you probably have bigger issues.

And that all said, do people really think that 6 weeks in AAA will mean the difference in the player succeeding or failing? I can understand the desire to have a guy doing well in AAA first -- wanting to have his confidence up or confirm his readiness, but I seriously doubt that's been the true reason the guy was held down in most cases.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?