Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 287

Thread: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

  1. #241
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,306

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Perfectly fair take Eric.

    Razor, I'm concerned this has taken a personal turn...as apparently I am going to be a marked man in other threads. I wondered about that when you made your "Jocketty guy" (which I really am not...I like what he has done though) remark lumping me with Eddabbs...Which I found strange. I harbor no hard feelings over this myself.

    I guess it is just the respect of debate...I acknowledge and understand where you are coming from...but I disagree. I just sense that feeling is not reciprocal.

    I do think Peyton choked in the SB. It's ok to say that about a team you like..i think the Reds choked in the playoffs...life goes on.
    I was kidding about the Jocketty guy stuff, don't be so sensitive. I don't actually have the time to search out your other posts and harass you.

    I respect your opinions in the debate. Like I said the only thing I've had a problem with is the "sensitive" or "riled up" stuff. I find that characterization annoying in a debate. It just seems you're dismissing my arguments as not being logical because you say I'm just giving an emotional reaction. I don't understand at all what was emotional about my argument on Dungy.

    I am perfectly fine to say that my team choked if I felt that way. (I'm not sure how much I believe in "choke" anyway, but I guess that's another discussion.) I've watched nearly every Colts game for as long I can remember and I'm telling you Wayne ran one route and Peyton threw to another. You can disagree if you like but saying I'm making that argument simply because I refuse to say that Peyton choked is condescending. We've been through it before and I went through it last year and laid out some fairly sound reasons why I believe the way I do. I don't care that you don't agree but don't tell me it's because I'm blinded by my fandom. Or I should say don't imply that, because you haven't actually said it but it is implied.

    I am interested to hear which current NFL coaches you like better than Dungy (and I do throw guys like Cowher and Gruden in there). I've given you a few who I like.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #242
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,860

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I was kidding about the Jocketty guy stuff, don't be so sensitive. I don't actually have the time to search out your other posts and harass you.

    I respect your opinions in the debate. Like I said the only thing I've had a problem with is the "sensitive" or "riled up" stuff. I find that characterization annoying in a debate. It just seems you're dismissing my arguments as not being logical because you say I'm just giving an emotional reaction. I don't understand at all what was emotional about my argument on Dungy.

    I am perfectly fine to say that my team choked if I felt that way. (I'm not sure how much I believe in "choke" anyway, but I guess that's another discussion.) I've watched nearly every Colts game for as long I can remember and I'm telling you Wayne ran one route and Peyton threw to another. You can disagree if you like but saying I'm making that argument simply because I refuse to say that Peyton choked is condescending. We've been through it before and I went through it last year and laid out some fairly sound reasons why I believe the way I do. I don't care that you don't agree but don't tell me it's because I'm blinded by my fandom. Or I should say don't imply that, because you haven't actually said it but it is implied.

    I am interested to hear which current NFL coaches you like better than Dungy (and I do throw guys like Cowher and Gruden in there). I've given you a few who I like.
    Fair enough Razor.

  4. #243
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,860

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    And as for what coaches I like better than Dungy...not many. How many coaches as men do I like better than Tony...none. But looking back, I think he has far too many 1 and dones in the playoffs given the talent on the field. I don't know that that would project forward, I don't. But like many before him, fairly or not, playoff sucess does matter in one's legacy. 1 Superbowl win in 9 appearances - average. 6 of 9 first game exits - below average.

    All hail Lord Belichick! (kidding)

  5. #244
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,306

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    P
    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    And as for what coaches I like better than Dungy...not many. How many coaches as men do I like better than Tony...none. But looking back, I think he has far too many 1 and dones in the playoffs given the talent on the field. I don't know that that would project forward, I don't. But like many before him, fairly or not, playoff sucess does matter in one's legacy. 1 Superbowl win in 9 appearances - average. 6 of 9 first game exits - below average.

    All hail Lord Belichick! (kidding)
    No kidding about it. I would take Belichick in a heart beat as the Colts' coach. Probably not any of his understudies though.

  6. #245
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,124

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    And as for what coaches I like better than Dungy...not many. How many coaches as men do I like better than Tony...none. But looking back, I think he has far too many 1 and dones in the playoffs given the talent on the field. I don't know that that would project forward, I don't. But like many before him, fairly or not, playoff sucess does matter in one's legacy. 1 Superbowl win in 9 appearances - average. 6 of 9 first game exits - below average.

    All hail Lord Belichick! (kidding)
    Coaching really isn't an equal playing field. You can have a team that has Payton Manning on the team and you win because of him or you can have a team that really has no desirable QB but win in spite of that. What I think makes a coach is someone who gets his team to over achieve based upon the talent he had.

    Here are my current (active or recently retired) off the top of my head that I would take over Dungy:
    Belichick
    Tomlin
    Jon Harbaugh
    Andy Reid
    Coughlin
    Cower
    Gruden
    Del Rio
    Fisher
    McCarthy
    Ryan
    Fox
    Payton
    Shanahan

    Its not so much record more over achieving with the talent given. IMO all these guys I listed win at least one Super Bowl with the Colts. I just never thought that Dungy did a good enough job with all the talent he was surrounded with. He was given two great teams, one defense in its prime and one of the greatest QB's in his prime and was only able to get to (and win) one SB. IMO there is only one coach I listed who would be better off in his current position than if he had Manning and that is Belichick.

  7. #246
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,605

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Coaching really isn't an equal playing field. You can have a team that has Payton Manning on the team and you win because of him or you can have a team that really has no desirable QB but win in spite of that. What I think makes a coach is someone who gets his team to over achieve based upon the talent he had.

    Here are my current (active or recently retired) off the top of my head that I would take over Dungy:
    Belichick
    Tomlin
    Jon Harbaugh
    Andy Reid
    Coughlin
    Cower
    Gruden
    Del Rio
    Fisher
    McCarthy
    Ryan
    Fox
    Payton
    Shanahan

    Its not so much record more over achieving with the talent given. IMO all these guys I listed win at least one Super Bowl with the Colts. I just never thought that Dungy did a good enough job with all the talent he was surrounded with. He was given two great teams, one defense in its prime and one of the greatest QB's in his prime and was only able to get to (and win) one SB. IMO there is only one coach I listed who would be better off in his current position than if he had Manning and that is Belichick.
    You do know that the defense that Dungy was "given" in Tampa was built by him right?

    As far as your list over coaches you would take over Dungy it loses any credibility with the inclusion of Jack Del Rio.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  8. #247
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Post-season records of some of the coaches named:

    Jon Harbaugh 3-2
    Andy Reid 10-9
    Coughlin 8-7
    Gruden 5-4
    Del Rio 1-2
    Fisher 5-6
    McCarthy 2-2

    Just sayin'. Winning in the playoffs is very, very hard.

  9. #248
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,306

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Yeah, I can't say that Dungy is better than all of those guys or even most of them but he's at least as good as most of them.

    It's really hard to say which coach would do better in a given situation.

  10. #249
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,860

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Perception-wise, those playoff W-L marks would look a lot different if put into winning percentage form. Very slim margin of error separates the good from the bad, I will grant that.

  11. #250
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,148

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Coaching really isn't an equal playing field. You can have a team that has Payton Manning on the team and you win because of him or you can have a team that really has no desirable QB but win in spite of that. What I think makes a coach is someone who gets his team to over achieve based upon the talent he had.
    I think you're setting up an impossible standard, if a coach wins with Peyton Manning, it's because he had Peyton Manning. If a coach loses(or rather doesn't win the Super Bowl) with Peyton Manning, he's an idiot.

    Super Bowl Winning Quarterbacks in last 10 years;
    2010: Brees
    2009: Cancelled due to lack of interest(Rothelisberger)
    2008: Eli Manning
    2007: Peyton Manning
    2006: Also cancelled due to lack of interest(Rothelisberger)
    2005: Brady
    2004: Brady
    2003: Brad Johnson
    2002: Brady
    2001: Trent Dilfer

    While many of those year's someone other than Tony Dungy's team won the Super Bowl, the overwhelming majority of the ones who did had a Hall of Fame Quarterback.

    So just having a hall of fame quarterback isn't enough. Anyone who wins 1 Super Bowl realizes just how difficult it is. Obviously there were certain situations where Dungy may have been out coached, but to say anyone should have won multiple Super Bowls is like saying a baseball player should have had at least 2 hits in a game.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  12. #251
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Colts fans, the Colts pro shop is having a dan appreciation sale, 30% off everything with promo code THANKYOU.

  13. #252
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,306

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Colts fans, the Colts pro shop is having a dan appreciation sale, 30% off everything with promo code THANKYOU.
    That's pretty crappy. I mean how many Colts fans are named Dan anyway?

  14. #253
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    That's pretty crappy. I mean how many Colts fans are named Dan anyway?
    Ha, that's what I get for posting via iPhone.

  15. #254
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,597

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    FAN. It actually took me a minute to crack the code, so I figured I'd make sure no one else has to bother.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  16. #255
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,124

    Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    You do know that the defense that Dungy was "given" in Tampa was built by him right?

    As far as your list over coaches you would take over Dungy it loses any credibility with the inclusion of Jack Del Rio.
    Oh I absolutely take Del Rio over Dungy and it really isn't close. Del Rio has kept Jacksonville relevant on a year in year out basis with a lackluster fan base and a marginal QB. To me coaching isn't about records necessarily its about what you are able to do with talent. IMO Dungy underachieved with one of the best QB's in NFL history and Del Rio has over achieved with an average football team.

    As for loss of credibility its an opinion and thats it. You may not agree with it but that doesn't make it wrong. I am amazed how many Colts fans were satisfied and content with Dungy as the Colts head coach.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25