Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRedsFan View Post
    Good Coach yes but not great. He's been to the playoffs nine times and had six 1 and dones. I understand things happen and you can't win them all but six 1 and dones seems excessive

Regular Season:

Wins 169 Loses 69 Winning % .668

Playoffs:

Wins 9 Loses 10 Winning % .474
    Good and great coaches are decided by what they do in the playoffs. Dungy was a poor playoff coach. He is a heck of a regular season coach but you don't call you season successful by just getting to the playoffs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I expected them to win at home. I expected Caldwell try to put points on the board at the end of the first half instead on just running out the clock. I didn't however expect Caldwell to take a timeout when he did at the end of the game and help the Jets out. Was that too much to expect?
    I'm talking big picture here and you are not. If you want to say he is a terrible gameday coach and helped blow that game which was quite winnable I'm on board.

But if you step back and say here are the players he had and here is the end season result, I can't say underacheiver is what comes to mind.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Good Coach yes but not great. He's been to the playoffs nine times and had six 1 and dones. I understand things happen and you can't win them all but six 1 and dones seems excessive

Regular Season:

Wins 169 Loses 69 Winning % .668

Playoffs:

Wins 9 Loses 10 Winning % .474
    Judging by the respective sample sizes, which do you think is the outlier? I know what my vote is.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Good and great coaches are decided by what they do in the playoffs. Dungy was a poor playoff coach. He is a heck of a regular season coach but you don't call you season successful by just getting to the playoffs.
    John Madden was 9-7 in the playoffs
    Don Shula was 19-17 in the playoffs
    Tom Landry was 20-16 in the playoffs
    Bill Parcells was 11-8 in the playoffs
    Paul Brown was 9-8 in the play offs.

Barely over .500% in the play-offs, are they just average coaches because of their average playoff records?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

You Colts fans are an extremely sensitive fan base. How can you dispute what Hoosier wrote above? Tony Dungy was knocked out in the first game 2/3 of the time he coached in the playoffs. Good, not great. (Great regular season coach I will add) What is so hard to swallow about that?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You Colts fans are an extremely sensitive fan base. How can you dispute what Hoosier wrote above? Tony Dungy was knocked out in the first game 2/3 of the time he coached in the playoffs. Good, not great. (Great regular season coach I will add) What is so hard to swallow about that?
    What team do you root for? Kind of interesting that you disappeared from this thread while the Colts were on their 4 winning streak to make the playoffs and then your right back after they lose in the playoffs.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I don't like Dungy but playoff wins are not a good way to base any manager/player. Long playoffs in sports are something relatively new to the landscape and have taken away from regular seasons. It's much more impressive when a manager/team sustains and wins a division throughout a whole season.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    What team do you root for? Kind of interesting that you disappeared from this thread while the Colts were on their 4 winning streak to make the playoffs and then your right back after they lose in the playoffs.
    I root for the Browns, who have put terrible product on the field and I have no problem saying that.

I made my statement about Manning and how I would rather have several other guys than him start for me in 2011. I plan on revisting that next season. I even stated than when he was playing not so well in a game after I made my remarks I said "I'm not gonna judge him on 1 game".

I've been around but have had nothing to add. I watched Eric the Red (I believe it was him) proclaim the season over a few weeks back. Humorous.

I stepped in after the playoff loss and read that Caldwell underacheived. I disagree and said so.

I read how Peyton Manning is the best in the game and the playoff game was one of his best games of the year (I wouldn't even put it in top-5), and threw out a little evidence that said otherwise.

Finally (actually Hoosier) said Dungy is a great regular season coach and a good not great coach when you step back and incorporate playoff performance. And he gets drug over the coals for saying so so I supported him. (Which is the kiss of death)

Kudos to the Colts for making it this far with all the injuries. They were in position to win that game the other night and it didn't happen. I understand how you guys are upset but like I said, all injuries considered, when you step back and look at the big picture, how far did you expect to make it?

I agree that Colts fanbase is sensitive, the problem with the fanbase is that once Manning is gone there will be an abundance of empty seats in that gigantic barn they call a stadium and a ton of Colts stuff at Goodwill. There were not many Colts fans in 1997 but yet in 1999 you could not get a seat.

Who cares if Manning the greatest quarterback in the league, he is pretty damn good, an all time great.

Seems like you've taken opportunities to make yourself look good.

You said nothing about Manning being bad 9 or so games in, while he was having a great season.

He hits a bad stretch and you're in here saying how you've thought he was 9th best coming into the season.

Peyton gets back on track plays well for the last 4 games and nothing.

Colts lose in the first round...guess who's back? And telling us how sensitive we are. Seems pretty opportunistic.

Honestly, I haven't minded anything you said (I think you're mostly wrong) except the "sensitive" thing. I don't see how just arguing different opinions makes one "sensitive". Maybe it's just me, but I find it kind of annoying when someone uses that in an argument. No one says to you and Edabbs "Oh, you Jocketty guys are so sensitive." And if they did it would be just as annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I agree that Colts fanbase is sensitive, the problem with the fanbase is that once Manning is gone there will be an abundance of empty seats in that gigantic barn they call a stadium and a ton of Colts stuff at Goodwill. There were not many Colts fans in 1997 but yet in 1999 you could not get a seat.

Yeah thats generally happens when you go from putting a crappy team to a good team on the field. You think it's all about Manning? If he's gone but the Colts are still a good team then people will show up. If they suck then yeah it's probably gonna be empty.

It's not all about Peyton. There were sooo many people who hated Manning his first season.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I've been around but have had nothing to add. I watched Eric the Red (I believe it was him) proclaim the season over a few weeks back. Humorous.

I stepped in after the playoff loss and read that Caldwell underacheived. I disagree and said so.
    If I could ddefend myself, my proclaimation was made minutes after Austin Collie was injured for the third time with a concussion.. Part of it was reaction over the rotten luck with injuries the team has had, part was being genuinely upset over seeing a great kid/talent like Collie possibly having his career ended, and part was an honest observation based on how the Colts were playing at that point, espcially without Collie.

I think the team overachieved in making the playoffs, not just Caldwell. I challenge anyone to name a team that could lose 10 defensive players to IR, their all-pro TE for most of the season, and the #1 RB for half the year (among many other injuries) and still make the playoffs.

I honestly felt at that time if they made the playoffs it would be a minor miracle, and it was. I think the fans reaction to Caldwell stems from how he did his best to blow the playoff game. Sometimes it is hard to separate emotion and reasonable analysis (see the comments following the Reds' playoff losses for evidence of this).

Is Peyton washed up? Hardly. Are there 10 QBs better than him in the NFL? Absolutely not. Will his starts start to decline every year for the rest of his career? Entirely possible. But I would argue that he is just as likely to win another MVP next season.

Is Caldwell a bad coach? No. Is he the coach I would like for the Colts? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post

I think the team overachieved in making the playoffs, not just Caldwell. I challenge anyone to name a team that could lose 10 defensive players to IR, their all-pro TE for most of the season, and the #1 RB for half the year (among many other injuries) and still make the playoffs.

I honestly felt at that time if they made the playoffs it would be a minor miracle, and it was. I think the fans reaction to Caldwell stems from how he did his best to blow the playoff game. Sometimes it is hard to separate emotion and reasonable analysis (see the comments following the Reds' playoff losses for evidence of this).

Is Peyton washed up? Hardly. Are there 10 QBs better than him in the NFL? Absolutely not. Will his starts start to decline every year for the rest of his career? Entirely possible. But I would argue that he is just as likely to win another MVP next season.

Is Caldwell a bad coach? No. Is he the coach I would like for the Colts? No.
    I pretty much agree with all of this.

Also, I defended Caldwell for most of the season, but I really do think he made some mistakes in that playoff game that were pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Yeah thats generally happens when you go from putting a crappy team to a good team on the field. You think it's all about Manning? If he's gone but the Colts are still a good team then people will show up. If they suck then yeah it's probably gonna be empty.

It's not all about Peyton. There were sooo many people who hated Manning his first season.
    I do not remember any Manning hatred his first year, I remember everyone being excited because we had a legit young quarterback for the first time since the Colts moved here.

I remember going to the games in the late 80's and early 90's when no one wore jersey's and most of the women knitted to kill time during the games. Manning has brought the women and kids on board. He and the success he has brought has built the fanbase.

Had the Colts drafted Leaf instead of Manning in 1998 do you think the Colts franchise would still be here in Indy? I seriously doubt it, without Manning the new stadium does not get built IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I do not remember any Manning hatred his first year, I remember everyone being excited because we had a legit young quarterback for the first time since the Colts moved here.

I remember going to the games in the late 80's and early 90's when no one wore jersey's and most of the women knitted to kill time during the games. Manning has brought the women and kids on board. He and the success he has brought has built the fanbase.

Had the Colts drafted Leaf instead of Manning in 1998 do you think the Colts franchise would still be here in Indy? I seriously doubt it, without Manning the new stadium does not get built IMO.
    Was it Manning or the fact that they've been one of the top franchises in football? I remember those days when no one went to the games as well but the Colts mostly sucked. The one year when the Colts made that deep playoff run with Harbaugh everybody was a Colts fan. I remember going to the airport with my parents when the team arrived home from KC. It was packed with people.

If they had drafted Leaf and continued to suck then yeah they may have moved.

I think that yes Manning is a HUGE part of the success they've had but I think it's the success more than Manning that has brought the fans in.

Turn Off Ads?