Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: 2010 Indianapolis Colts

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Oh I absolutely take Del Rio over Dungy and it really isn't close. Del Rio has kept Jacksonville relevant on a year in year out basis with a lackluster fan base and a marginal QB. To me coaching isn't about records necessarily its about what you are able to do with talent. IMO Dungy underachieved with one of the best QB's in NFL history and Del Rio has over achieved with an average football team.

As for loss of credibility its an opinion and thats it. You may not agree with it but that doesn't make it wrong. I am amazed how many Colts fans were satisfied and content with Dungy as the Colts head coach.
    I'm guessing you don't watch many Jaguars games. And since when are they relevant in the NFL?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Caldwell's curious timeout...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/sp...l/13clock.html
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Oh I absolutely take Del Rio over Dungy and it really isn't close. Del Rio has kept Jacksonville relevant on a year in year out basis with a lackluster fan base and a marginal QB. To me coaching isn't about records necessarily its about what you are able to do with talent. IMO Dungy underachieved with one of the best QB's in NFL history and Del Rio has over achieved with an average football team.

As for loss of credibility its an opinion and thats it. You may not agree with it but that doesn't make it wrong. I am amazed how many Colts fans were satisfied and content with Dungy as the Colts head coach.
    Del Rio was the coach who put an axe and a block of wood in the lockerroom and the punter badly severed his leg with it, genius. I went to the Colts/Jags game this year in Indy and watched Del Rio make questionable call after questionable call, as a Colts fan I am glad that he kept his job in Jacksonville.

With Dungy I knew the Colts were going to win 10-14 games every season and make the playoffs, his leadership gave the Colts a chance to win the super bowl every season and ultimately that is all you can as for as a fan.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 01-13-2011 at 10:56 AM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    With Dungy I knew the Colts were going to win 10-14 games every season and make the playoffs, his leadership gave the Colts a chance to win the super bowl every season and ultimately that is all you can as for as a fan.
    IMO that statement should be "with Manning I knew the Colts were going to win ........."

Del Rio's QB's have been Garrard and Leftwhich. Who has been his top WR over the past decade? How about his top defensive players? I just believe that if you would have switched Del Rio with Dungy the Colts would have been more successful.

IMO that statement should be "with Manning I knew the Colts were going to win ........."

Del Rio's QB's have been Garrard and Leftwhich. Who has been his top WR over the past decade? How about his top defensive players? I just believe that if you would have switched Del Rio with Dungy the Colts would have been more successful.
    Del Rio has made the playoffs twice and has won all of 1 playoff game, Dungy took over a terrible Tampa team with Shuan King and Brad Johnson at quaterback and had all of one losing season with them including taking them to an NFC championship game. Del Rio has not even sniffed the same type of success that Tony had in Tampa which would be a much more fair comparison, throwing out Coach Dungy's Colts tenure.

Don Shula had one of the greatest quarterbacks ever and he never won a super bowl with him, does that make him a less than great coach?
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 01-13-2011 at 11:54 AM.

As I tried to show in my other post, there aren't a lot of coaches who could win consistently without a great quarterback. Even with a great quarterback, 7 consecutive 12 win seasons is unparalleled.

It's not like Peyton Manning's been the only great quarterback in the past 10 years. He may have been one of the best, maybe even the best, but it's not like there was Peyton Manning, then a bunch of David Klingler impersonators.

Perhaps you could say this shows a coach doesn't matter as much as a great quarterback. I'd agree with that. But to say that Del Rio was a better coach because Dungy had a better quarterback doesn't strike me as logical.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    As I tried to show in my other post, there aren't a lot of coaches who could win consistently without a great quarterback. Even with a great quarterback, 7 consecutive 12 win seasons is unparalleled.

It's not like Peyton Manning's been the only great quarterback in the past 10 years. He may have been one of the best, maybe even the best, but it's not like there was Peyton Manning, then a bunch of David Klingler impersonators.

Perhaps you could say this shows a coach doesn't matter as much as a great quarterback. I'd agree with that. But to say that Del Rio was a better coach because Dungy had a better quarterback doesn't strike me as logical.
    You need to judge a coach on what he does with the hand he is given. It is just my opinion but if you switch Dungy and Del Rio's places Del Rio would have been more successful. I feel that with the talent Dungy was given in both Indy and even Tampa he underachieved.

My friend, there was no Manning in Tampa Bay. And Tony Dungy managed to do quite well for himself. So is Jack Del Rio a better coach than Marty Schottenheimer? Marv Levy? I don't think Del Rio is a good coach, period. Let alone anywhere near Tony Dungy's stratosphere.

You need to judge a coach on what he does with the hand he is given. It is just my opinion but if you switch Dungy and Del Rio's places Del Rio would have been more successful. I feel that with the talent Dungy was given in both Indy and even Tampa he underachieved.
    It's not fair to penalize Dungy for having talent. He helped mold that talent, and he helped build both of those teams, most especially Tampa, to a lesser extent Indy.

I think if you come up with a scheme that is copied by other NFL teams you're a pretty good coach.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Tony Dungy wasn't Vince Lombardi (9-1 in post season play with five NFL championships) but few coaches are. As great as they were, Don Shula and Tom Landry, with much longer NFL coaching careers, only won two NFL championships each, and their winning percentages in post season play were each only a few games over .500 [19-17 and 20-16] even though each coach had the benefit of numerous All Pro and Hall of Fame players.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

In an attempt to move the conversation beyond the team's former coach on more on the current team, what positions do you think the Colts should focus in on the draft?

I think beyond OL, the offense should be in good shape once healthy. (If Collie's career is over, then a WR that plays in the slot should be looked at later in the draft.)

The biggest holes I see are DT, CB and S. For most of the season the defense was run all over, and a big body or two in the middle of the DL could help. And it looks like Bob Sanders' days with the team are numbered, so a safety to compliment Bullitt would be nice.

If I had to make a wish list of picks 1-7, it would be:
    1. DT
    2. S
    3. OL
    4. CB
    5. WR
    6. DT
    7. OL

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    In an attempt to move the conversation beyond the team's former coach on more on the current team, what positions do you think the Colts should focus in on the draft?

I think beyond OL, the offense should be in good shape once healthy. (If Collie's career is over, then a WR that plays in the slot should be looked at later in the draft.)

The biggest holes I see are DT, CB and S. For most of the season the defense was run all over, and a big body or two in the middle of the DL could help. And it looks like Bob Sanders' days with the team are numbered, so a safety to compliment Bullitt would be nice.

If I had to make a wish list of picks 1-7, it would be:
    1. DT
    2. S
    3. OL
    4. CB
    5. WR
    6. DT
    7. OL
    Got to go OL early and often, the DT situation is actually ok with Mookie Johnson, Muir, Foster and Moala. Not really sure if they need to go WR, they have Wayne, Garcon, Collie, and Gonzalez.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Got to go OL early and often, the DT situation is actually ok with Mookie Johnson, Muir, Foster and Moala. Not really sure if they need to go WR, they have Wayne, Garcon, Collie, and Gonzalez.
    How do you hardcore Colts guys think this Wayne-Manning situation will play out?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    How do you hardcore Colts guys think this Wayne-Manning situation will play out?
    There will be no problems, Wayne had over 100 catches in the season so how could he really be upset because he was frozen out of one game.

Turn Off Ads?