Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Re: Devin Mesoraco

I'm a Louisville Bats season ticket holder and have seen Mesoraco quite a bit. I think he's got the physical tools to adapt to another position but I think given time his catching skills will be up to speed with his bat. I haven't seen Grandal of course, but two good catching prospects is an excellent problem to have.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I've read a few different publications and even on here that his second home is moved off of Catcher would be Third. Guess the only issue is how well his ARM would play there. Which I find off for a catcher. If it plausible, then his value doubles to this Franchise. IMO...
    As a catcher, if Grandal hits, he could be one of the most valuable commodities in Baseball. Even if he only hits a little, he still has value there and he could probably be a major piece in a deal (if not the centerpiece) for something significant that the team lacks. Why waste that opportunity by making him a defensive question mark at a position where his bat will look less attractive no matter how much he hits?

IMO, Mesoraco is the man and the Reds have guys like Hanigan, Fleury and Barnhardt to be second Bananas to him through his hopefully long career as the Reds middle of the order catcher. I'd parlay Grandal into something else of value and of need as soon as right now and not erode his value with a position change simply to squeeze he and Mesoraco into the same picture. Same goes for the Alonso/Votto situation. Time to start dealing. Past Time IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

From John Fay:

Talked to Bailey about Mesoraco's defense. "He's a good receiver. He's got a good arm. He's good back there." #reds

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

So I work at a hotel in downtown Columbus, and I get a decent amount of scouts rolling through for the Clippers. I always like to ask them about certain Reds guys they've seen, and I happened to catch a Padres scout today who had seen the Bats last week. Obviously nothing earth-shattering but I always like to share the little tidbits.

"Still kind of lazy behind the plate, but he's young. And boy can he swing the bat. Kid's got all the potential in the world."
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

As a catcher, if Grandal hits, he could be one of the most valuable commodities in Baseball. Even if he only hits a little, he still has value there and he could probably be a major piece in a deal (if not the centerpiece) for something significant that the team lacks.
    Considering the Dodgers just traded Trayvon Robinson for a catcher that has about a third of the value Grandal has, I'd certainly agree.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    So I work at a hotel in downtown Columbus, and I get a decent amount of scouts rolling through for the Clippers. I always like to ask them about certain Reds guys they've seen, and I happened to catch a Padres scout today who had seen the Bats last week. Obviously nothing earth-shattering but I always like to share the little tidbits.

"Still kind of lazy behind the plate
    , but he's young. And boy can he swing the bat. Kid's got all the potential in the world."
    Did he expound on the word lazy? I'm not getting his drift. Devin doesn't strike me as the lazy type.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Mike Piazza coached him in the Futures game and liked everything about him. A lot. He even tried to get Mesoraco to hire his (Piazza's) agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Did he expound on the word lazy? I'm not getting his drift. Devin doesn't strike me as the lazy type.
    He doesn't get out from his crouch to block balls away or in with his chest. He one-arms the ball, attempting the scoop. (Think Roger Dorn's ole BS in Major League that Lou Brown had a problem with.)

He also doesn't burst out of his crouch when throwing the 2B. This can result in poor throwing accuracy and a bit of a rainbow to second.

Both can be corrected with hard work and better footwork. But, if he doesn't correct them, he's going to be below average defensively at his position. If he hits in the 850-900 OPS range, that's not going to matter. If he's more of the 750-800 range, it might, especially considering Grandal behind him (who has very good footwork, but not as good of an arm).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    He doesn't get out from his crouch to block balls away or in with his chest. He one-arms the ball, attempting the scoop. (Think Roger Dorn's ole BS in Major League that Lou Brown had a problem with.)

He also doesn't burst out of his crouch when throwing the 2B. This can result in poor throwing accuracy and a bit of a rainbow to second.
    I watched Mesoraco two nights ago take one to the chest on a throw three feet in front of the plate and 2 feet outside.

As for "one arming" balls, I am 100% certain that every catcher does that when no one is on base and I am 100% certain that I have seen Mesoraco use the "two arms to try and block the ball in the dirt" as well.

Sure, Mesoraco CAN do it. Sure, he HAS done it.

He hasn't done it consistently. (All you need look for confirmation is the number of passed balls, wild pitches, and throwing errors he makes. It's not earth-shatteringly bad, but it's a concern.)

That's the scout's take. And mine as well. (And I've seen him around 30 times this year, around 35 total.)

The good news is that, as young catchers see more professional innings, they usually get better at moving. Mes' defensive numbers have shown improvement since being drafted, this year especially.

More good news is that Mesoraco improves more than others. He had little game experience as a HS athlete in the Northeast. That cost him a couple years of serious struggle both with the glove and at the plate. He's shown an affinity for hard work in both areas. (The re-tooling of his swing from 2009 to 2010 should be highlighted as perhaps the most important minor league happening of recent Red teaching. Add in Dave Sappelt's own swing change and I'd love to know who helped them so much. If it's the same guy, he needs to be kept. And given a raise.)

Further good news is that this is the only negative the scout relayed. It's like saying Votto sometimes looks bad against LH relievers that throw wicked slider. While true, it's a small part of the overall game.

So minor league guys on here who I assume are more in tune to the Reds' organizational moves...

Should I expect to see Mes in Cincy this Sept? Anyone else?

There are several I'd like to see, but I just want to set realistic expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So minor league guys on here who I assume are more in tune to the Reds' organizational moves...

Should I expect to see Mes in Cincy this Sept? Anyone else?

There are several I'd like to see, but I just want to set realistic expectations.
    Many people say we will see him in September, but one big thing working against him (and Dave Sappelt) is he is not on the 40 man roster. I think if he is going to be given the chance to be the starter next year, Mes needs to get his feet wet at the end of this year. With Reds management, you never know what to expect.

Mesoraco is going on the 40-man roster in December anyway, and there will probably be more players who hit the 60-day DL with season-ending injuries, so it would make sense to add him once Louisville's season is over.

A dollar to a donut, Scott Rolen goes on the 60 day DL. If he's out 6-8 weeks, that only leaves a few weeks of baseball, what would be the point? Unless there are season ending injuries elsewhere and they need a body down at 3b, I don't think he's playing again this season, if he's cleared by the doctors.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Many people say we will see him in September, but one big thing working against him (and Dave Sappelt) is he is not on the 40 man roster. I think if he is going to be given the chance to be the starter next year, Mes needs to get his feet wet at the end of this year. With Reds management, you never know what to expect.
    Plenty of room can be made on the 40. Off the top of my head, Fisher, Valiaka, and Negron can be moved off.

And decisions will soon need to be made on Jordan Smith, Valliquette, and Thompson as well.

Turn Off Ads?