Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Re: Devin Mesoraco

Just thought it would be worth tossing in here since its an active thread. From todays BP Chat with Kevin Goldstein (http://bit.ly/bzM4Jm):

Karen (LA): what do you thinke Mesoraco's defense behind plate?

Kevin Goldstein: He's fine back there, maybe even a tick above average. Scouts generally believe in the breakout.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am fairly certain that Kevin Goldstein has never seen him play. I, actually, have not seen him play in two years either, to be honest. If he is now "a tick above average" defensively, then he has made a jump that no scout who saw him in '08 would have ever dreamed.

I would wonder about that a little. I am sure he is much better than he was. But he has eight passed balls in the AFL in 14 games, twice as many passed balls as any other catcher in the league, and that was his big problem in 2008. And he has thrown out 2 out of 18 base stealers.

Great year for Devin. I think he has shown the most important skill for any minor league player: the ability to improve. Let's not get in too much of a hurry. Let's let him keep improving. I am guessing he is a little gassed right now from the long year and maybe his body has slowed down a little and some time off will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    So let me get this straight--you expect Mesoraco to perform well as a rookie? And you expect Hanigan to stay healthy all year? If neither of those happen, it's hardly an 'everything went wrong' scenario. It's two things that have very strong possibilities of happening.
    It's one thing to say that could happen but to say that there's a strong possibility of it happening? What makes you say that?
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    It's one thing to say that could happen but to say that there's a strong possibility of it happening? What makes you say that?
    The overwhelming majority of rookies struggle, and Ryan Hanigan has a history of going on the DL despite never having been an everyday player. I'd say it's more likely than not that at least one of the two happen, and there's a very strong possibility both of those could happen in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The overwhelming majority of rookies struggle, and Ryan Hanigan has a history of going on the DL despite never having been an everyday player. I'd say it's more likely than not that at least one of the two happen, and there's a very strong possibility both of those could happen in 2011.
    True but what would he have to do to perform well as a rookie in your eyes? I think the bar should be a little lower since he'll be a rookie don't you agree?
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    True but what would he have to do to perform well as a rookie in your eyes? I think the bar should be a little lower since he'll be a rookie don't you agree?
    Of course, but he should still be held to the standards of a major leaguer since that's what we're talking about--Mesoraco as a major leaguer in 2011.

Mesoraco=Cincinnati=2012

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I am fairly certain that Kevin Goldstein has never seen him play. I, actually, have not seen him play in two years either, to be honest. If he is now "a tick above average" defensively, then he has made a jump that no scout who saw him in '08 would have ever dreamed.

I would wonder about that a little. I am sure he is much better than he was. But he has eight passed balls in the AFL in 14 games, twice as many passed balls as any other catcher in the league, and that was his big problem in 2008. And he has thrown out 2 out of 18 base stealers.

Great year for Devin. I think he has shown the most important skill for any minor league player: the ability to improve. Let's not get in too much of a hurry. Let's let him keep improving. I am guessing he is a little gassed right now from the long year and maybe his body has slowed down a little and some time off will be good.
    Here is what I saw from Devin in 2008: Athletic, strong arm, thinking way too much behind the plate and trying to be perfect on his footwork on every throw. He had troubles receiving the ball.

Experience goes a long way to fixing his two issues: trying to be perfect and receiving the ball. I am not scout, but I certainly saw things that would lead to him becoming a solid catcher defensively, even if he was not very good at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Here is what I saw from Devin in 2008: Athletic, strong arm, thinking way too much behind the plate and trying to be perfect on his footwork on every throw. He had troubles receiving the ball.

Experience goes a long way to fixing his two issues: trying to be perfect and receiving the ball. I am not scout, but I certainly saw things that would lead to him becoming a solid catcher defensively, even if he was not very good at the time.
    AA is where potential Catchers learn the majority of their craft. It's there where it's put-up-or-shut-up as far as being skilled "Defensively". They are given the benefit of the doubt and allowed to spend two seasons there learning and developing their skills. That Mesoraco was able to get through AA so quickly shows that he picked up the "Defensive" part of the position quicker than most Catchers do. That is a rousing endorsement for his Defensive skills. True, that his Offensive prowess was forcing an early move to AAA, but they wouldn't have moved him had they not thought that he'd mastered most of what he needed to learn from a "Defensive" standpoint.

It's nothing but positive attributes for Mesoraco at this point of his career, both Defensively and Offensively.

He should get a whole season at AAA this year to rework what he learned last year and spend one more year on development before being thrown into the Bigs. The REDS have set themselves up perfectly to handle the transition by having the combination of Hernandez/Hanigan/Miller to cover the Big League 2011 season with Hanigan available to share duties with Mesoraco in 2012.

....and then there's last years' #1 pick, who'll be a year behind Mesoraco each of the next two seasons.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-12-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    ....and then there's last years' #1 pick, who'll be a year behind Mesoraco each of the next two seasons.
    I was wondering when someone would mention that. It's why the Reds can take a little risk with Mes. He'll be in camp for about 45 days before the start of the season. The pitching staff will let Baker know if he's ready for prime time. If he is, then maybe he comes up mid May. Take a risk, but don't be stupid.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Effecting this conversation:

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Reds re-signed C Ramon Hernandez to a one-year contract.

Terms were not disclosed, but Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the contract is worth around $3 million. Hernandez, 34, batted .297/.364/.428 with seven homers and 48 RBI over 313 at-bats this past season, while throwing out 34 percent of would-be basestealers. Ryan Hanigan has probably surpassed him as the team's top catcher, but they form a pretty effective tandem.

Source: Cincinnati Reds on Twitter

Yeah, so...the Reds have a catcher at AAA who is hitting .330 as of this morning. Just amazing. I guess there was legitimate skepticism over whether last year was legit or not.

So, turns out, it was probably legit.

He is genuinely tearing up AAA.

To expound:

.330/.415/.553 for a .968 OPS.

.415 OBP!

.415!

Can't drop the link because posting from droid, but jason parks has a piece on Prospectus today on catching prospects that could hardly have more praise for mes. He has him as the #1 catching prospect at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Can't drop the link because posting from droid, but jason parks has a piece on Prospectus today on catching prospects that could hardly have more praise for mes. He has him as the #1 catching prospect at this point.
    https://baseballprospectus.com/artic...rticleid=14261
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?