Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Re: Devin Mesoraco

Scouting report on Grandal from that article makes him much easier to part with in the right deal. Basically says he'll be a solid regular, nothing more. We already have one Ryan Hanigan, and if Grandal's trade value exceeds Hanigan's, bon voyage!
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Actually, it says they expect him to be nothing less than a solid everyday catcher, although they do not expect him to be a star.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading him, but at the same time I'm not expecting a great deal out of Hanigan in the future, either. That's a debate for the major-league forum, though.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Thanks for the assist, bubba. My smartphone only gets me so far...

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Actually, it says they expect him to be nothing less than a solid everyday catcher, although they do not expect him to be a star.
    They didn't expect Votto to be a star either.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    They didn't expect Votto to be a star either.
    Of course "they" didn't employ Jason Parks at the time either. So "their" track record does mean much here.

Resident PED Expert

Sigh...

By they I ment the general overall baseball community Doug. Not this one individual. Most on this board had him pegged as a AAAA player with Sean Casey being his Ceiling. Point is metrics can't measure a players desire and drive to adapt and learn as seasons progress and years go by. I see Grandal being a 1.000 OPS kind of guy in 5 years personally.
    Last edited by nemesis; 06-16-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Sigh...

By they I ment the general overall baseball community Doug. Not this one individual. Most on this board had him pegged as a AAAA player with Sean Casey being his Ceiling. Point is metrics can't measure a players desire and drive to adapt and learn as seasons progress and years go by. I see Grandal being a 1.000 OPS kind of guy in 5 years personally.
    You expect Grandal to be better than Mez? Because at this point, I believe the Reds have to make a call to stick with one and trade the other while they're still a top prospect. (I believe Mez is the one to stick with).
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sigh...

Ah. I took it as they=BP. But, I don't think Jason Parks, a profession scout, is looking too much into the metrics when he puts out his reports on these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You expect Grandal to be better than Mez? Because at this point, I believe the Reds have to make a call to stick with one and trade the other while they're still a top prospect. (I believe Mez is the one to stick with).
    Or you can transition one to another position.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Or you can transition one to another position.
    Nope. Grandal's defense is reportedly better, and his bat likely won't play at a corner spot, so I assume you'd be talking about moving Mez. Only problem is that the only position Mez could likely play other than C would be 1B, where we already have somewhat of a logjam. So no, I would not be looking to transition either out of a high-value position to a low-value position, but looking to trade one of them.
    Go BLUE!!!

I don't know what Grandal is or isn't, much less what he will be. But I do know there's an awful lot to like about a guy with a .900 OPS and close to a 1:1 walk/strikeout ratio--even if it's only in high A ball.

To me, the kind of peripherals he has this early in a professional career is suggestive of a solid if not spectacular career.

I don't have a preference between he and Mesoraco. In fact, I don't think a decision should be made on either this early, unless the Reds are able to make a blockbuster that necessitates trading one or the other.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

what I want to know is what is taking so long for the Reds to trade Ramon? Someone has to need catching. Mez seems to have proven his worth in AAA. I hate when guys tear it up and arent promoted bc of some arbitrary time line the management has.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss the Baby00 View Post
    what I want to know is what is taking so long for the Reds to trade Ramon?

I think the likely fact they aren't looking to trade him factors into there somewhere.

ESPN just posted a scouting report on Mes (you have to have ESPN Insider):

http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/fa...son&id=6669384

Basically they liked him as an offensive catcher. They say he's good enough to stick at catcher defensively, but still needs some more polish. They expect him to make an impact in 2012 when Hernandez's contract is over.

I thought that from all the reports about Mes the least of concerns about him were his defense. I thought everything hinged on his ability to hit because he had struggled so much early on.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?