Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Resident PED Expert

Re: Devin Mesoraco

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You expect Grandal to be better than Mez? Because at this point, I believe the Reds have to make a call to stick with one and trade the other while they're still a top prospect. (I believe Mez is the one to stick with).
    In 5 years I expect Grandal to be better than Mes. Kinda like a Bruce/Bottom comparison better. Something about Grandal sticks with me. I could see 30+ HR 30+ 2B seasons from him. With 80 BB's that would put in in that kinda territory. Mes I see with McCann type numbers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    In 5 years I expect Grandal to be better than Mes. Kinda like a Bruce/Bottom comparison better. Something about Grandal sticks with me. I could see 30+ HR 30+ 2B seasons from him. With 80 BB's that would put in in that kinda territory. Mes I see with McCann type numbers.
    I couldn't let this part go unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I couldn't let this part go unnoticed.
    I noticed, but I'm not quite sure I understand.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BakoTheTako View Post
    I noticed, but I'm not quite sure I understand.
    I wonder if it was typed from a phone and Bottom was supposed to be Votto but predictive text reared its ugly head?

I feel like these types of projections shouldn't be made for basically anyone, let alone a catcher who basically every scout agrees has limited upside, and current stats to date does not project to an MVP calibre player on an annual basis.

Sure there are exceptions, but 60+ extra base hits from Grandal every year seems to be a stretch IMO.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wonder if it was typed from a phone and Bottom was supposed to be Votto but predictive text reared its ugly head?
    You sir are correct.

That or my subconcious reared its ugly head... Lmao.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I feel like these types of projections shouldn't be made for basically anyone, let alone a catcher who basically every scout agrees has limited upside, and current stats to date does not project to an MVP calibre player on an annual basis.

Sure there are exceptions, but 60+ extra base hits from Grandal every year seems to be a stretch IMO.
    Your right. But I also feel Grandal will be moved off catcher if Mesoraco is as special a player as its looking like. I also see the 30/30 as a upside in his prime. Not year 1.

Name one thing about Grandal's history and projection that says he's going to even begin to approach numbers like that. That's probably one of the best catchers of our generation.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Name one thing about Grandal's history and projection that says he's going to even begin to approach numbers like that. That's probably one of the best catchers of our generation.
    He is already showing he is going to take a walk. So the 80 BB's over 162 doesn't seem to far off. He is showing a lot of power already in his first year with the wooden bat and showed plenty of power in college. Being only 22, that power is only going to inceease if it is indeed legit. Plus playing a majority of games in GABP won't hurt.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He is already showing he is going to take a walk. So the 80 BB's over 162 doesn't seem to far off. He is showing a lot of power already in his first year with the wooden bat and showed plenty of power in college. Being only 22, that power is only going to inceease if it is indeed legit. Plus playing a majority of games in GABP won't hurt.
    Two things.... no catcher is ever going to play close to 162 games. Not anymore at least. The power is nice, but when a guy doesn't hit for some power in the California League, its a concern. When a guy does hit for power, well, you expect them to do that. While I like Grandal and I think he does have some pop in his bat, his slugging percentage ranks 4th on the Blaze behind a 15th rounder (Stephen Hunt), a guy who weighs 160 pounds (Henry Rodriguez) and Eric Campbell. So the power he has shown so far is nice and all, but I wouldn't take anything from it given the league and what other guys are doing in that league (for example, Houston's Jose Altuve is 5'5" and 150 lbs and is slugging .606 in the same league).

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Two things.... no catcher is ever going to play close to 162 games. Not anymore at least. The power is nice, but when a guy doesn't hit for some power in the California League, its a concern. When a guy does hit for power, well, you expect them to do that. While I like Grandal and I think he does have some pop in his bat, his slugging percentage ranks 4th on the Blaze behind a 15th rounder (Stephen Hunt), a guy who weighs 160 pounds (Henry Rodriguez) and Eric Campbell. So the power he has shown so far is nice and all, but I wouldn't take anything from it given the league and what other guys are doing in that league (for example, Houston's Jose Altuve is 5'5" and 150 lbs and is slugging .606 in the same league).
    I understand what your saying. It could all be a mirage and when he gets to Carolina in the next week or so then we as fans will know more of what we have in Grandal patience and power wise. I also think Grandal won't be a fulltime catcher when he gets to Cincy. If he is still a member of the Reds in 2 years. Mesoraco should have solidified the position by then. I see a move to maybe 3B or 1B by then. Javy style flexiblity.... Haha...

Hmm, tough limb to be out on IMO. Kudos for having the cajones to make such a prediction. I just don't see it though, I think he could be better offensively but I think it'll be fairly close. Defensively I just don't think it'll ever be close which I think will make Mes a far more valuable player. Not sure Grandal can even stick at Catcher, i'd trade him in a heartbeat or groom him for 1st (maybe even try him at 3rd where he could prove pretty valuable) and hope we never have to use him there.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Hmm, tough limb to be out on IMO. Kudos for having the cajones to make such a prediction. I just don't see it though, I think he could be better offensively but I think it'll be fairly close. Defensively I just don't think it'll ever be close which I think will make Mes a far more valuable player. Not sure Grandal can even stick at Catcher, i'd trade him in a heartbeat or groom him for 1st (maybe even try him at 3rd where he could prove pretty valuable) and hope we never have to use him there.
    It's been done before. Ed Sprague and Todd Zeile both made that move. In fact they did it after coming to the majors. Biggio moved to 2nd base. Carlos Delgado moved to first. If Grandal could move to 3rd base (provided mez pans out at C) and provide value, that would be just awesome. Question is does he have the make-up for it?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I like the idea of trying Grandal at 3B. If he's not moved at the trade deadline, I'd start working him there this offseason. His bat will clearly be ready by the time Rolen's contract is up, leaving the question of whether his glove can be ready to take over at that point.
    Go BLUE!!!

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I like the idea of trying Grandal at 3B. If he's not moved at the trade deadline, I'd start working him there this offseason. His bat will clearly be ready by the time Rolen's contract is up, leaving the question of whether his glove can be ready to take over at that point.

I've read a few different publications and even on here that his second home is moved off of Catcher would be Third. Guess the only issue is how well his ARM would play there. Which I find off for a catcher. If it plausible, then his value doubles to this Franchise. IMO...

Turn Off Ads?