Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #11 prospect?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Junior Arias

2 2.25%
  • Brad Boxberger

13 14.61%
  • Daniel Corcino

1 1.12%
  • Jonathan Correa

1 1.12%
  • Danny Dorn

2 2.25%
  • Juan Duran

4 4.49%
  • Mariekson Gregorius

1 1.12%
  • Ismael Guillon

14 15.73%
  • Jacob Johnson

0 0%
  • Donnie Joseph

24 26.97%
  • Ryan LaMarre

3 3.37%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

6 6.74%
  • Felix Perez

0 0%
  • Henry Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

1 1.12%
  • Ronald Torreyes

3 3.37%
  • Chris Valaika

14 15.73%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is Redszone's #11 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #11 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I don't doubt that at all, but I think a lot of that comes from so many people in the organization urging the Reds brass to spend so much more cash on him. Besides, scouts always like lefties more than righties anyway.
    The Reds didn't really spend a ton of cash on him. After his initial signing he had his contract voided because of a pre existing injury and wound up signing a lesser deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Reds didn't really spend a ton of cash on him. After his initial signing he had his contract voided because of a pre existing injury and wound up signing a lesser deal.
    IIrc, after his contract was voided, he signed for about half of his original contract. That's still the equivalent to an early draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    IIrc, after his contract was voided, he signed for about half of his original contract. That's still the equivalent to an early draft pick.
    Sure, it was still 6 figures, but it isn't a giant figure either. Lets also note that the managers/coaches in the AZL also thought Guillon was better than Correa.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Sure, it was still 6 figures, but it isn't a giant figure either. Lets also note that the managers/coaches in the AZL also thought Guillon was better than Correa.
    Of course they did. Their careers weren't tied into Guillon's success.

Remember too that Guillon is two years younger, two inches taller, 20 pounds heavier and a lefty.

I love the outlooks of both pitchers, but can see why Guillon's a slightly higher consideration as a prospect.

Agree that those two are a close call. But I think that Jacob Johnson ought to be in the same conversation. He is the exact same age as Correa--one day older--and pitched all of last year at Dayton, a higher level. I understand that Correa has had some issues holding him back, so that's not a definitive argument. Nevertheless, Johnson has been relatively fast-tracked. He's a strapping guy (6-4, 215) with what's said to be great makeup. His numbers at Dayton were not overwhelming, but he pitched 129 innings there and actually had a winning record (8-7) on a very, very bad ballclub. And you can add as many verys as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Agree that those two are a close call. But I think that Jacob Johnson ought to be in the same conversation. He is the exact same age as Correa--one day older--and pitched all of last year at Dayton, a higher level. I understand that Correa has had some issues holding him back, so that's not a definitive argument. Nevertheless, Johnson has been relatively fast-tracked. He's a strapping guy (6-4, 215) with what's said to be great makeup. His numbers at Dayton were not overwhelming, but he pitched 129 innings there and actually had a winning record (8-7) on a very, very bad ballclub. And you can add as many verys as you wish.
    Johnson is a solid arm and I am intrigued by the uptick in strikeouts that he had in the second half compared to the first half, but at least right now, he isn't on the same level of prospect as the other two guys.

Johnson is a solid arm and I am intrigued by the uptick in strikeouts that he had in the second half compared to the first half, but at least right now, he isn't on the same level of prospect as the other two guys.
    Why is that? Is it because he doesn't strike out enough guys?

Through age 19, having pitched most of his innings at A ball, Johnson has a minor-league K/9 of 6.1

Cliff Lee, pitching in the minors through the age of 24, had a K/9 of 6.0.

Roy Halladay, also pitching in the minors through the age of 24, had a K/9 of 5.9.

I'm sure there are other reasons for your definitive evaluation, such things as stuff and scouting reports. That's all good. Was just kinda wondering how you were able to dismiss someone else's opinion with such a sweeping, authoritative judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Why is that? Is it because he doesn't strike out enough guys?

Through age 19, having pitched most of his innings at A ball, Johnson has a minor-league K/9 of 6.1

Cliff Lee, pitching in the minors through the age of 24, had a K/9 of 6.0.

Roy Halladay, also pitching in the minors through the age of 24, had a K/9 of 5.9.

I'm sure there are other reasons for your definitive evaluation, such things as stuff and scouting reports. That's all good. Was just kinda wondering how you were able to dismiss someone else's opinion with such a sweeping, authoritative judgment.
    Strikeouts is part of it, but the reason for the lack of strikeouts compared to the others is stuff. It just isn't on par.

Turn Off Ads?