Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Browns

Re: 2010 Browns

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't see them being better than the Steelers or the Ravens next season. And it is very, very rare to see both wild card teams come out of the same division.
    Let's see how the final 2 games of the year against those 2 teams look...then I will be ready to make my prediction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but here goes.

What the Browns are lacking is talent. With the exception of their OLine they are a talent deficient team. They are playing well and hard right now but I just don't know how long that will continue. Hillis is a nice story, I just wonder how long his running style will play in the NFL. McCoy is a nice story, tough as nails QB, I wanted the Bengals to take him in the 2nd round, but again I want to see how he continues to develop and make adjustments.

It may sound wrong, but losing games like they did yesterday is actually better for the Browns. Play tough, good football but also improve that draft status. The Browns are a team that need an infusion of talent. They should be better next season, but playoffs next season is wishful thinking from this outsiders view.
    They're a well-coached, disciplined football team, which is a start. I totally agree, they need an infusion of talent, especially at the skill positions on offense. But they're clearly on the up and up.

Then again, I thought this a few years ago after their 10-6 season, and they simply imploded. So time will tell.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but here goes.

What the Browns are lacking is talent. With the exception of their OLine they are a talent deficient team.
    I think you're overlooking their defense. They're young, and have two very talented and young CBs. They're only going to get better. I also think they need a DE to complement Shaun Rogers too.

As for their offense... they have talent, but need to complement what they have to make it better. They need a better down field threat in the receiving department. And I'd also like to see them get another quality RB to complement Hillis. I have always loved that two-back threat aka Mack/Byner. Keeps guys fresh.

I don't see them being better than the Steelers or the Ravens next season.
    Two good clubs obviously. I don't think the Ravens are as good as some project them to be. Their offense is very inconsistent, relying heavily on an aging defense. And the Steelers could very easily be 5-4 this year if not for that "gimme" at the end of the Miami game.

I simply want to see the Browns improving on that plane. Their problem these last several years has been the "brain trust" behind this team and it's building. It's been very haphazard, without a consistent plan, goal. Especially when it came to the draft. For instance.... they'd waste a #1 pick on a QB, or a receiver, but ignore the O-line. They'd move to a 3-4 defense but not draft/acquire the guys that best complement it. Huge inconsistencies, almost like a crap shoot.

Myself, and a majority of Brown fans, think (hope) that Holmgren is in the process of changing that. But it's not going to happen over night.

But you're right, it is about talent. But the talent is out there. You just need the right guy to see, acquire, and put it together.

If they can do it in Pitt or Baltimore, then it can be accomplished in Cleveland.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-21-2010 at 05:57 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Keep an eye on Rubin on the Browns' DLine GAC...he is becoming a force.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The guy is money against the run, he's slowly starting to come around with his pass rush. IMO, he's a better 3-4 nose than Rogers. They need to start playing Rogers more at end where he can use is strength to rush the passer.

I agree

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/...8-6471e505d018
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

After the IU basketball game on Sunday, I headed to one of my favorite college watering holes to watch the end of the 1st NFL games before heading home.

I was pleasantly surprised to see "yes there were seats available" and "yes the Bengals and Raiders' games were both on in that room."(My friend is a Raider's fan.) What I had forgotten was that the bar(Yogi's) is the local Browns Backer club hangout, and though the Bengals game became unwatchable and the Steelers were pummelling the Raiders, we were in the midst of a huge celebration because the Browns were driving to kick the "winning" field goal.

"Too much time," I said as the Browns kicked off, but when the Jaguars foolishly took the ball out of the endzone, and attempted a return only to get tackled at the 15, the room was in full throat.

When David Garrard threw deep on first down, I looked at my friend, and said, "Stupid. There's plenty of time left, no need to panic." He agreed amidst the dog bones clanking on tables and fans woofing at the TV.

Then a 10 yard completion and he got out of bounds. Then the screen pass to Jones-Drew, he makes one guy miss, "Hey he's going to get them in field goal range," he makes another guy miss, oh my gosh he's going to score, then the tackle at the one. And two plays later, it was all I could do to keep myself from finding the sad trombone sound to play for the room as it seemed like everyone had been kicked in the nuts again.

Ahh Shaudenfreude. Alive and well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

That's the 2010 Browns Hoosier..... they can't finish games. Their defense plays pretty solid overall, but gives up the big plays at the most inopportune times.

I wanna say that losing all these very close games (6 to be exact) shows we are on the crisp of being a good team... or else we're simply cursed.

Mangini relied waaaaay to much on Hillis in this game, and the Jaguars were ready for it as they loaded up the box. Yet we kept ramming Peyton right up the middle. Very predictable, and very frustrating. I couldn't understand why they weren't swinging him out more - our any of our receivers - with the screen or short passes? Taking what they would give us.

My wife walked from the living room to the bedroom, where I was watching the game, and shut the door LOL It's a wonder the TV is still in one piece.

Cribbs is out, and we lost our #1 receiver (Watson) early in the game, though he did come back at some point in the 2nd half. But he still wasn't 100%. And then there was the ankle injury to McCoy. The kid has guts, I'll give him that.

But this game further showed me that we need that down field threat. We need to improve ourselves in the receiving corp in order to aid our running game and move some of those LBs back and off the line.

We've got the Panthers at home this weekend, a game we should win. Then we go on the road for 3 in Miami, Buffalo, and then Cincy. Miami is really banged up and a shell of itself. The Bengal's secondary is completely decimated. Now Buffalo, regardless of their record, I'm wary of. But still, there are 3 out of 4 games, IMO, we should win.

And we need some momentum, a moral boost so to speak, because we then come home to finish out the season as our last two games are with the Ravens and Steelers.

Can the Browns finish 7-9, which is showing improvement? Yeah, I think they can. But I'm thinking 6-10 is more probable. I think Mangini is going to have to have a really strong finish to save his job for next season IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-24-2010 at 04:59 AM.

Shocker of the day.

Mort says Mangini is out.

Shocker of the day.

Simmons said it best last week

Why you should pick the Steelers: Because the Browns have looked like crap the past three weeks. We're inching closer and closer to the Dirk Diggler-like return of a sobbing Eric Mangini as the Patriots' secondary coach (with Belichick as Jack Horner).

Shocker of the day.

Just to be clear, the reports are now confirmed. The Browns have fired Eric Mangini as their head coach. They are thought to be interested in Philadelphia OC Marty Mornhinweg.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Let's see how the final 2 games of the year against those 2 teams look...then I will be ready to make my prediction.
    Bad. Those last two games ended poorly for the Browns.

For Cleveland's sake I hope they get someone in who is a better HC than Mangini.

I take back everything nice I said about the Browns earlier in this thread. I think they have more talent than they have had in a while, but they're still a long way away.

They'd probably be a playoff team in the NFC West though.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Just to be clear, the reports are now confirmed. The Browns have fired Eric Mangini as their head coach. They are thought to be interested in Philadelphia OC Marty Mornhinweg.
    More NFL recycling, wonder if he'll take the ball in OT next time
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Thanks for coming if my initial report was unclear???

Man the wheels fell off at the end of the year for the Brownies.

Turn Off Ads?