Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave Concepcion on HOF Veterans Committee ballot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dave Concepcion on HOF Veterans Committee ballot

This year's election is for players, managers, umps and execs from 1973 to the present. Here's the full list: former players Vida Blue, Dave Concepcion, Steve Garvey, Ron Guidry, Tommy John, Al Oliver, Ted Simmons and Rusty Staub; former manager Billy Martin; and executives Pat Gillick, Marvin Miller and George Steinbrenner.

Candidates need 12 votes from a 16 man committee to get in. Considering Johnny Bench and Tony Perez both are on that committee, Concepcion might have a decent chance. Results will be announced December 6. Here's the full story:

http://baseballhall.org/news/press-r...n-december%27s

Re: Dave Concepcion on HOF Veterans Committee ballot

How awesome would it be if Concepcion and Larkin both got voted in this year?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    How awesome would it be if Concepcion and Larkin both got voted in this year?
    Davey probally won't make it but yes that would be beyond awesome!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Larkin likely has to wait again as well.
    Go Gators!

Of that list Davey and Simmons seem to be most worthy.They are all worthy to a degree but if could hand pick two then those are my two.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Tommy John probably ended up getting a lot of other pitchers into the Hall of Fame.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Tommy John probably ended up getting a lot of other pitchers into the Hall of Fame.
    Yes, but why would his parents name him after a surgical procedure, anyway?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    He should have seen that coming. Become a position player while he had the chance.

At least he wasn't named after a disease like that Gehrig fella.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

It beats Lou Gehrig's parent naming him after a deadly disease.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Haunted by walks

Mario Mendoza is the one you really have to feel sorry for.

For me, the players on this list pretty much represent the cut-off point between Hall of Famers and guys who don't make it. Simmons, Garvey and Oliver are three of the best pure hitters I've seen. Ron Guidry and Vida Blue were stars for championship clubs. Concepcion was the SS for the turf era and Tommy John should be in for a number of reasons but at the very least for blazing the trail in the comeback from used up elbows (his rehab and dedication have as much to do with the success of the operation and the subsequent continuation of its use as the medical team who pioneered it). Only Staub clearly doesn't belong IMO.

Marvin Miller had a bigger impact on the game than anyone on the list and Pat Gillick is an executive who deserves to be in. I'm guessing none of the players make it, but the late comedy team of George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin and up going in. If only one player goes, my vote is for Tommy John.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'd love to see Concepcion make it but I have a feeling he wont.

Steinbrenner and Martin might make it just because they're Steinbrenner and Martin.

From Jamie Ramsey's blog:

The 16-member electorate charged with the review of the Expansion Era ballot features: Hall of Fame members Johnny Bench, Whitey Herzog, Eddie Murray, Jim Palmer, Tony Perez, Frank Robinson, Ryne Sandberg and Ozzie Smith; major league executives Bill Giles (Phillies), David Glass (Royals), Andy MacPhail (Orioles) and Jerry Reinsdorf (White Sox); and veteran media members Bob Elliott (Toronto Sun), Tim Kurkjian (ESPN), Ross Newhan (retired, Los Angeles Times) and Tom Verducci (Sports Illustrated).
    http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/archives/2...operstown.html

Concepcion needs 12 votes to get elected. Johnny Bench and Tony Perez are locks to vote for him. Even though Frank Robinson never played with Davey, you have to think he would vote for a fellow Red. Who knows about the others...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Jamie Ramsey's blog:

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/archives/2...operstown.html

Concepcion needs 12 votes to get elected. Johnny Bench and Tony Perez are locks to vote for him. Even though Frank Robinson never played with Davey, you have to think he would vote for a fellow Red. Who knows about the others...
    I think Ozzie Smith is a good bet. He knows he supplanted Concepcion as the premier shortstop - really Smith was a bridge between Davey and Larkin.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?