Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Miller & Morgan 'OUT' at ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball

Re: Miller & Morgan 'OUT' at ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball

New crew is Shulman, Hershiser, and Valentine.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    When was the last time the Reds were on Sunday night baseball? That might be the last time I tuned it.

Jon Miller is just a splendid announcer.....have to agree on that.
    The Reds played on Sunday night in April of 2005, can't remember a time they have since then

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    The Reds played on Sunday night in April of 2005, can't remember a time they have since then
    I remember Milton pitching against the Dodgers on a Sunday night telecast. I remember it didn't end well either, surprisingly.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'm so glad Jon Miller is not coming back.

A. It would have been a slap in the face to Joe if they brought Jon back and not Joe.

B. Jon is very overrated and would've been even-more insufferable after his HOF induction. I think about the only thing he does well is over-pronounce Hispanic names. Plus, he loves the song "Tis the Season" especially the line: "Don we now our gay apparel."

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I'm so glad Jon Miller is not coming back.

A. It would have been a slap in the face to Joe if they brought Jon back and not Joe.

B. Jon is very overrated and would've been even-more insufferable after his HOF induction. I think about the only thing he does well is over-pronounce Hispanic names. Plus, he loves the song "Tis the Season" especially the line: "Don we now our gay apparel."

I think Jon Miller is a Great PBP Announcer.

Glad to see Hershiser is part of it. He provides fresh, interesting insights into the art of pitching.

I'd rather listen to Jon Miller any day than listen to Marty Morose.

Rem

http://www.sfweekly.com/2005-07-06/n...-ain-t-so-joe/

I've never seen this Morgan interview before.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Not sure what this means, Randy...

a reaction to the writer's piece in general or to Morgan's comments?

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    http://www.sfweekly.com/2005-07-06/n...-ain-t-so-joe/

I've never seen this Morgan interview before.
    I've either read the interview before or similar articles about Joe Morgan and "Moneyball." One sentence in the article sums up much of Joe's broadcasting career: "Indignant, self-righteous and hopelessly ignorant."
    It is ironic that those who study Sabermetrics have made an excellent argument that Morgan is the greatest second baseman of all time, yet he hates the entire Sabermetric concept.
    Morgan was a terrific, and very smart, player, and one I rooted for. He has never come across as being that likeable as a person, though. His own substantial ego comes across in his autobiography and, to paraphrase Ken Griffey Senior, in "The Machine" Morgan clearly seems to be a jerk (Griffey used a stronger word, one he also used for Johnny Bench).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Not sure what this means, Randy...

a reaction to the writer's piece in general or to Morgan's comments?
    The writer's piece in general. Anyone who listens to Morgan knows his feelings about Moneyball and sabremetrics. Like it or not, right or wrong, it's his opinion, albeit a very strong one. Articles like this one, and the people who seek them do nothing but "escalate the war."

I have no problem with sabremetrics or Moneyball. People can enjoy the game however they like. GM's can run their teams however they see fit, and they will be judged on their success or lack of. While I have never agreed with all Joe Morgan's baseball strategy, or anyone else's for that matter, I really never had a problem with him as a baseball analyst. For me, he always brought a lot of insight to the broadcasts. The parts I didn't agree with would go in one ear and out the other. Only his opinion. I would much rather listen to Morgan than a statistician. That's just me. There are many ways to play a baseball game, none of them always completely right or wrong. I think what rubs many people the wrong way about statistics is the "black/white, right/wrong, absolute" way that they are usually presented. That's the way numbers are. Baseball will always have some grey areas.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    The writer's piece in general. Anyone who listens to Morgan knows his feelings about Moneyball and sabremetrics. Like it or not, right or wrong, it's his opinion, albeit a very strong one. Articles like this one, and the people who seek them do nothing but "escalate the war."
    I will agree that the writer's point of view was slanted against Morgan. But the problem with Morgan's opinions is that they are inaccurate. It's like saying the sky is plaid or the U.S. is governed by a king. When someone tells him different he is like a child who puts their hands over their ears and says, "La, la, la, la, la, la, I'm not listening to you!" I'm all for different opinions and Morgan would be a wonderful voice for traditionists if he didn't believe he was right just cause he's Joe Morgan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I think both announcers, past and present, do a great job. Sad to see Jon and Joe go but excited for the new generation.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I will agree that the writer's point of view was slanted against Morgan. But the problem with Morgan's opinions is that they are inaccurate. It's like saying the sky is plaid or the U.S. is governed by a king. When someone tells him different he is like a child who puts their hands over their ears and says, "La, la, la, la, la, la, I'm not listening to you!" I'm all for different opinions and Morgan would be a wonderful voice for traditionists if he didn't believe he was right just cause he's Joe Morgan.
    That was my take on it for the most part. I didn't grow up in the big red machine era so maybe that's part of the reason why I never really excused Morgan as a Reds fan. It was almost as if he was making the case that I should always root for a Reds team that is doomed to failure because of unexamined traditions. The fact that he goes out of his way to rip Billy Beane as the author of the book really says it all about his knowledge on the subject.

During FS broadcasts I've noticed that Thom Brennaman has made a few veiled insults at those "moneyball people" usually after an instance when the reds where successful playing situational baseball. Of course when they bunt the runner to 2nd and the next batter strikes out to end the inning he never says, boy I wish they had that out back.

Personally I think the traditional guys can make a case for situational baseball in certain scenarios but they should be making it in limited contexts, not the "that's how the game should be played at all times" that it often comes out as.

Turn Off Ads?