Turn Off Ads?

Thread: OPS During Wins/Losses

OPS During Wins/Losses

It is to be expected that a player's numbers will be worse in games in which his team lost. Generally, the decline in percentage appears to be around 30-40%. However, I was looking at the career numbers for the Reds, and Jay Bruce's decrease in production during losses was such a huge difference that I felt the need to start a thread about it.
    Code:
    Name		WinOPS	LossOPS	OPS Lost %
    Jay Bruce	1.019	0.566	80.04%
    Laynce Nix	0.851	0.543	56.72%
    Drew Stubbs	0.887	0.582	52.41%
    Miguel Cairo	0.793	0.562	41.10%
    Paul Janish	0.728	0.516	41.09%
    Scott Rolen	1.001	0.718	39.42%
    Joey Votto	1.109	0.803	38.11%
    Jonny Gomes	0.925	0.675	37.04%
    Orlando Cabrera	0.819	0.602	36.05%
    Ryan Hanigan	0.846	0.633	33.65%
    BrandonPhillips	0.853	0.641	33.07%
    Corky Miller	0.646	0.487	32.65%
    Ramon Hernandez	0.836	0.638	31.03%
    During wins, only Votto is better than Bruce. During losses, nearly the entire team is better than Bruce. Can we draw any conclusions from this? I don't know. The sample size is somewhat small (only 1,412 PAs for Bruce), but I really think this could say something about Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: OPS During Wins/Losses

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It is to be expected that a player's numbers will be worse in games in which his team lost. Generally, the decline in percentage appears to be around 30-40%. However, I was looking at the career numbers for the Reds, and Jay Bruce's decrease in production during losses was such a huge difference that I felt the need to start a thread about it.
    Code:
    Name		WinOPS	LossOPS	OPS Lost %
    Jay Bruce	1.019	0.566	80.04%
    Laynce Nix	0.851	0.543	56.72%
    Drew Stubbs	0.887	0.582	52.41%
    Miguel Cairo	0.793	0.562	41.10%
    Paul Janish	0.728	0.516	41.09%
    Scott Rolen	1.001	0.718	39.42%
    Joey Votto	1.109	0.803	38.11%
    Jonny Gomes	0.925	0.675	37.04%
    Orlando Cabrera	0.819	0.602	36.05%
    Ryan Hanigan	0.846	0.633	33.65%
    BrandonPhillips	0.853	0.641	33.07%
    Corky Miller	0.646	0.487	32.65%
    Ramon Hernandez	0.836	0.638	31.03%
    During wins, only Votto is better than Bruce. During losses, nearly the entire team is better than Bruce. Can we draw any conclusions from this? I don't know. The sample size is somewhat small (only 1,412 PAs for Bruce), but I really think this could say something about Jay Bruce.
    I think the fact that Bruce and Stubbs are so high on the list has to do with the large gaps between peaks and valleys that both experienced. In games that occurred while Bruce and Stubbs were on their collective hot streaks the Reds were practically unbeatable. When both were in their post all-star break doldrums, the Reds were utterly beatable.

But I'm not sure the correlation equals causation in either direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Be careful which way you draw the causal arrow. Those performances aren't happening as a result of the Reds losing games. Rather the Reds lost games when players performed at that level -- along with a number of other factors (pitching and defense).

We know that in a given game, no one players' performance counts for more than another's (scaled to PA) and this reflects that. As a team, the Reds lose when they struggle to score runs and they win when they score a lot of runs. The combination of players who struggle or succeed isn't really all that important compared simply to how many players struggled or succeed.

That Bruce's split is so extreme simply shows that his struggles and success were most strongly correlated with the struggles and success of his teammates. Not that his struggles and success were particularly influential. There's really nothing here which suggests that the team struggled because of Bruce, that Bruce struggled because of his teammates, or if there is any meaningful causal relationship at all.

Rather than looking for some causal relationship between Bruce and his teammates, I think the more likely explanation is a strong correlation of offensive performance and opposing pitcher quality. Facing a good pitcher, everybody tends to perform worse. Facing poor pitchers, everybody tends to perform better.

In this model, one possible explanation for Bruce's extreme split is that his great talent lets him destroy bad pitching but his still-in-development plate approach makes him particularly susceptible to good pitching. Additionally, given the way OPS is calculated, players whose OPS is disproportionately comprised of SLG will be more strongly impacted by this effect. So guys who tee off on bad pitching are likely to experience the biggest splits.

Code:
    		OPSloss	OPSwin	Split	Var
    Jay Bruce	.566   1.019	.453	-.196
    Laynce Nix	.543	.851	.308	-.051
    Joey Votto	.803   1.109	.306	-.049
    Drew Stubbs	.582	.887	.305	-.048
    Scott Rolen	.718   1.001	.283	-.026
    Jonny Gomes	.675	.925	.250	.007
    Miguel Cairo	.562	.793	.231	.026
    Orlando Cabrera	.602	.819	.217	.040
    Ryan Hanigan	.633	.846	.213	.044
    Brandon Phillip	.641	.853	.212	.045
    Paul Janish	.516	.728	.212	.045
    Ramon Hernandez	.638	.836	.198	.059
    Corky Miller	.487	.646	.159	.098
    Average		.613	.870	.257	.000
    Var is the difference between the average split and the player's split. Check it out. See a pattern? Big slugging guys at the top, small slugging guys at the bottom. Put simply, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. I think you'll find that SLG or ISO accounts for a good amount of what you're seeing here.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-09-2010 at 01:35 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Be careful which way you draw the causal arrow. Those performances aren't happening as a result of the Reds losing games. Rather the Reds lost games when players performed at that level -- along with a number of other factors (pitching and defense).

We know that in a given game, no one players' performance counts for more than another's (scaled to PA) and this reflects that. As a team, the Reds lose when they struggle to score runs and they win when they score a lot of runs. The combination of players who struggle or succeed isn't really all that important compared simply to how many players struggled or succeed.

That Bruce's split is so extreme simply shows that his struggles and success were most strongly correlated with the struggles and success of his teammates. Not that his struggles and success were particularly influential. There's really nothing here which suggests that the team struggled because of Bruce, that Bruce struggled because of his teammates, or if there is any meaningful causal relationship at all.

Rather than looking for some causal relationship between Bruce and his teammates, I think the more likely explanation is a strong correlation of offensive performance and opposing pitcher quality. Facing a good pitcher, everybody tends to perform worse. Facing poor pitchers, everybody tends to perform better.

In this model, one possible explanation for Bruce's extreme split is that his great talent lets him destroy bad pitching but his still-in-development plate approach makes him particularly susceptible to good pitching. Additionally, given the way OPS is calculated, players whose OPS is disproportionately comprised of SLG will be more strongly impacted by this effect. So guys who tee off on bad pitching are likely to experience the biggest splits.

Code:
    		OPSloss	OPSwin	Split	Var
    Jay Bruce	.566   1.019	.453	-.196
    Laynce Nix	.543	.851	.308	-.051
    Joey Votto	.803   1.109	.306	-.049
    Drew Stubbs	.582	.887	.305	-.048
    Scott Rolen	.718   1.001	.283	-.026
    Jonny Gomes	.675	.925	.250	.007
    Miguel Cairo	.562	.793	.231	.026
    Orlando Cabrera	.602	.819	.217	.040
    Ryan Hanigan	.633	.846	.213	.044
    Brandon Phillip	.641	.853	.212	.045
    Paul Janish	.516	.728	.212	.045
    Ramon Hernandez	.638	.836	.198	.059
    Corky Miller	.487	.646	.159	.098
    Average		.613	.870	.257	.000
    Var is the difference between the average split and the player's split. Check it out. See a pattern? Big slugging guys at the top, small slugging guys at the bottom. Put simply, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. I think you'll find that SLG or ISO accounts for a good amount of what you're seeing here.
    I agree with everything you said, but Jay Bruce's split is so extreme that I'm wondering if there's more to it. His ability to feast on bad pitching is probably the biggest factor, but could part of it be mental? Does he give up when his team is losing? Does he put too much pressure on himself? Does he see more pitches he has trouble with when his team is behind?

I agree with everything you said, but Jay Bruce's split is so extreme that I'm wondering if there's more to it. His ability to feast on bad pitching is probably the biggest factor, but could part of it be mental? Does he give up when his team is losing? Does he put too much pressure on himself? Does he see more pitches he has trouble with when his team is behind?
    Those are perhaps fair questions to ask, but they certainly won't be answered by the data. This is actually a great example of how stats and scouting can work well together. The stats can help you ask better questions while the answer requires a bit more nuance.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Those are perhaps fair questions to ask, but they certainly won't be answered by the data. This is actually a great example of how stats and scouting can work well together. The stats can help you ask better questions while the answer requires a bit more nuance.
    Yes. So . . . does anyone here have any thoughts based on what you saw from Jay Bruce this year?

Turn Off Ads?