Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Minor League Free Agents

2010 Minor League Free Agents

The list of minor league free agents has been released on the Baseball America prospects blog. Here is the full list, and here are the Reds free agents:

Cincinnati Reds (11)
    RHP: Federico Baez (AA), Jesus Delgado (AAA), Jason Isringhausen (AAA), Chad Reineke (AAA), Abe Woody (AA)
    LHP: Gilbert de la Vara (AA)
    C: Wilkin Castillo (AAA), Brandon Yarbrough (AA)
    OF: Wladimir Balentien (AAA), Sean Henry (AAA), Luis Terrero (AAA)

I hope the Reds resign Balentien, Delgado, Reineke and Henry would also be good ideas, I'd much rather see Corky back up Mesoraco then Castillo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010 Minor League Free Agents

I definitely hope they resign Balentien. Sean Henry too.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 11-10-2010 at 12:19 PM.

-The Insider-

I don't think Henry is coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I definitely hope they resign Balentien. Sean Henry too.
    And I hope they re-up Reineke too. SP might be depleted in AAA.

I would want Balentien back but I doubt it happens. I think he will go to a place where he has a better chance to play.

The one thing that amazes me about this list is what a graveyard of former top prospects it is.

The one thing that amazes me about this list is what a graveyard of former top prospects it is.
    Instructive.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Instructive.

krm1580, I just meant to point out the value of your observation about so many former top prospects being on the scrap heap -- I think it's worth remembering that a lot of players who look like future stalwarts coming up find themselves going in the other direction within a relatively short time

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    krm1580, I just meant to point out the value of your observation about so many former top prospects being on the scrap heap -- I think it's worth remembering that a lot of players who look like future stalwarts coming up find themselves going in the other direction within a relatively short time
    Gotcha. Yeah I think it is really easy to fall in love with prospects thinking they are going to pan out. Just on this list alone, a quick run through, these guys were all considered #1 prospects in an organization at one point and I probably missed some.

Eric Duncan - Yankees
    Chris George - Royals
    Mike Hinckley - Expos
    Joel Guzman - Dodgers
    Andy Marte - Braves
    Chris Shelton - Tigers
    Alex Cintron - Dbacks
    Dallas McPherson - Angels
    Brandon Duckworth - Phillies
    Josh Barfield - Padres
    Joe Borchard - White Sox
    Clint Everts - Expos
    Merkin Valdez - Giants
    Chris Lubanski - Royals
    Mark Prior - Cubs
    Daniel Cabrera - Orioles
    Jeremy Reed - White Sox

Chris Lubanski might be an interesting guy to take a look at. He was the #5 overall pick back in 2003 and is still only 25 years old. He has good power and runs pretty well for a big guy. His strike zone judgement is a little uneven but I think he might be worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Chris Lubanski might be an interesting guy to take a look at. He was the #5 overall pick back in 2003 and is still only 25 years old. He has good power and runs pretty well for a big guy. His strike zone judgement is a little uneven but I think he might be worth the risk.
    Good call on Lubanski. He's worth taking a chance on, IMO. He posted an .899 OPS this season in the PCL, and as you said, he's only 25 years old.

He posted an .899 OPS this season in the PCL,
    In Las Vegas. That OPS there means little.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    And I hope they re-up Reineke too. SP might be depleted in AAA.
    I know. The Bats should have a great offense again, but as of now, if one of Lecure or Maloney makes the Reds bullpen at the start of the year the Bats have a rotation of something like:

Maloney/Lecure
    Klinker
    Thompson
    Avery
    Cochran/Horst

which is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    I know. The Bats should have a great offense again, but as of now, if one of Lecure or Maloney makes the Reds bullpen at the start of the year the Bats have a rotation of something like:

Maloney/Lecure
    Klinker
    Thompson
    Avery
    Cochran/Horst

which is pretty bad.
    There are 10 rotation spots available for the following players:
    Volquez
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Chapman
    Leake
    Wood
    LeCure
    Maloney
    Klinker
    Lehr
    Cochran
    Thompson
    Carroll
    Avery

The AAA rotation will be fine. Maloney, LeCure, Klinker, Lehr, and one or two of Leake, Wood, and/or Chapman will be in Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Good call on Lubanski. He's worth taking a chance on, IMO. He posted an .899 OPS this season in the PCL, and as you said, he's only 25 years old.
    I'd rather just keep Balentien. IMO, an .873 OPS in the IL is more impressive than an .899 OPS in the PCL. Especially when you consider Wlad was putting up .938 OPS in the PCL when he was 22-23.

Daniel Cabrera is a guy I've always been interested in. If he could...just...harness...

Ditto for Rich Hill. What a fall from grace he had- another Cubbies washout.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    There are 10 rotation spots available for the following players:
    Volquez
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Chapman
    Leake
    Wood
    LeCure
    Maloney
    Klinker
    Lehr
    Cochran
    Thompson
    Carroll
    Avery

The AAA rotation will be fine. Maloney, LeCure, Klinker, Lehr, and one or two of Leake, Wood, and/or Chapman will be in Louisville.
    Jockety has said that Chapman will start the year with the Reds. I can't see Leake or Wood being sent down. However, now that I think about it, Maloney and Lecure will probably both be with the Bats - assuming they are not traded. I forget about Lehr - if he can return to 09 form, he could really solidify the rotation. So, a rotation of:

Maloney
    Lecure
    Lehr
    Klinker
    Thompson

looks a lot better, but it could go either way, depending on which versions of the bottom three show up. I still wouldn't mind seeing the Reds sign Reineke or a veteran IL pitcher such as Brian Mazone or Jason Hirsch.

Turn Off Ads?