Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upset for the MVP?

Re: Upset for the MVP?

jwetz, I understand. Being that the Cubs are the Cards long heated rival, I have experienced that "fandom". You almost have to get drunk on a daily basis to even put up with that fan base.

I think that its not the fact that Cards fans are upset with the Reds for being contenders but how our team was just an epic fail this year. No intensity, no fundamentals. This team set back Cardinals baseball 40 years to those 70's teams that were just bad. We have come to expect through the years that Cards teams would play a hard 9 innings and be fundamentally sound. I was too depressed as a baseball fan to even stomach the dreck I was seeing from our team the last month of the year. I think there was some big headedness in Cardinals nation but it mostly it was due to how bad they were this year, not anything to do with the Reds success within the division.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's not all about stats. Think of what MVP means. Most Valuable Player. What value is a player to a team that doesn't even sniff the playoffs? Votto was way more valuable to the Reds in 2010 than Pujols was to the Cardinals.

I hope Votto is not MVP, he will be cheaper that way.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Votto will be worth a lot of money regardless if he is MVP or not.

Is there any official citeria for MVP? I get so tired of hearing the debate each year about who had he "best year" vs. who "was most important to thier team".
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Is there any official citeria for MVP? I get so tired of hearing the debate each year about who had he "best year" vs. who "was most important to thier team".
    I don't think there are any stipulations, but they usually go to a guy on a playoff team, which is right in my opinion, unless you have some type of record breaking season like Bonds did when he hit 73. Unless it's something ridiculous like that, how valuable were you if your team didn't even make the playoffs? I'm not just being biased because Votto got in over Pujols, the numbers are very similar, and Votto's team got in. Carlos Gonzalez loses because his team didn't make the playoffs, and his splits away from coors field aren't anywhere near his stats there.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I don't think there are any stipulations, but they usually go to a guy on a playoff team, which is right in my opinion, unless you have some type of record breaking season like Bonds did when he hit 73. Unless it's something ridiculous like that, how valuable were you if your team didn't even make the playoffs? I'm not just being biased because Votto got in over Pujols, the numbers are very similar, and Votto's team got in. Carlos Gonzalez loses because his team didn't make the playoffs, and his splits away from coors field aren't anywhere near his stats there.
    I'd really like to see them do away with the whole "valuable" thing, name the award after a player just like the Cy Young (the "Babe Ruth", maybe?) and come out with a criteria for the award.

Personally, I think it should go to the player who had the best year overall and take the whole "valuable" thing out of the picture. I hate getting into these discussions that "player A isn't as valuable because he had 3 other all stars on this team. Player B didn't have a good year but he's valuable because he's the only decent player on the team". I'd also like to see it restricted to positions players. I know it's rare for a pitcher to win it, but it can happen.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?