Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty Named Exec of the Year by Sporting News

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Jocketty Named Exec of the Year by Sporting News

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty Named Exec of the Year by Sporting News

grats to him, I'd say he earned it.

Agreed. Hoping we hear news of another Red getting a big award soon....
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Yeah, I know how much everyone here thinks Dusty deserves manager of the year!
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I'll second that! Congrats to Walt, and hopefully more great news to follow.

Don't really agree with it but congrats to him. They talk about him signing Chapman and he only pitched in a few games. Rolen signing was last year. All his deadline/post deadline acquisitions failed big time.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    Don't really agree with it but congrats to him. They talk about him signing Chapman and he only pitched in a few games. Rolen signing was last year. All his deadline/post deadline acquisitions failed big time.
    He was royally ridiculed for getting Rolen last year. He deserves this.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    Don't really agree with it but congrats to him. [B]They talk about him signing Chapman and he only pitched in a few games.[/B] Rolen signing was last year. All his deadline/post deadline acquisitions failed big time.

Yeah Walt had planned on paying our future Ace 30 mill with no major league experience and throw him right to the wolves.Geez, I dont understand some people.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I have nothing against Jocketty, but O'Brien and Krivsky probably deserve more recognition for putting this team together than Walt does.

Lest we forget Mike Lincoln, Willy Tavares, and Corey Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    Yeah Walt had planned on paying our future Ace 30 mill with no major league experience and throw him right to the wolves.Geez, I dont understand some people.
    When did I say I disagree with how they brought him along? Did you even read the article? The only player they talk about is Chapman. This is a 2010 award, if his handful of games pitched is the best they can talk about there are others more deserving.

Last year drafting Leake, trading for Rolen, and signing Rhodes was Walt's best work.

This year his highlights were getting Cabrera, Edmonds, resigning Gomes. That's all.

Congrats to Walt, he deserves it more than anyone, except whoever the man in SF is, that collected a bunch of cast-offs and mis-fits and went all the way to the top!

Well deserved. This is the 3rd time he's won the award, I wonder if any other team's GM can say the same?

Congratulations!

He's been running the show extremely well since he got here. It was a tricky situation to take over because the best move was to make few moves, but that would not normally be a tendency of a new GM. He'd want his "own" people. But, Walt recognized that good people were already in place and has been letting it play itself out.

The entire organization is very strong right now. But, I'd like to see them promote the AAA Manager to the Big League Club as Manager. He's knows most of these players better than Baker does.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I have nothing against Jocketty, but O'Brien and Krivsky probably deserve more recognition for putting this team together than Walt does.

Exactly my feelings. What's helped is that Stubbs has help solidify the CF spot instead of us trying to find one in FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

This is simply not true. Yes, there was a good core of players here that Jocketty inherited, but he added to it also. Here is a post I put on another forum about this very subject:

Traded Ken Griffey JR. for Nick Massett
    Traded Ryan Freel for Ramon Hernandez (this was wildly unpopular at the time).
    Traded for Rolen
    Signed Arthur Rhodes
    Signed Johnny Gomes
    Signed Orlando Cabrera
    Signed Aroldis Chapman
    Signed Miquel Cairo
    Drafted (and used) Mike Leake

Yes Votto, Phillips, Bruce, and Stubbs were already with the Reds, but as you can see he didn't just sit on his hands.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Turn Off Ads?