Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Farm Director

  1. #1
    auzzie97
    Guest

    Farm Director

    Could someone explain to me why they would move the Farm Director to another position after the team did so well this year. Terry Reynolds did a great job.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,869

    Re: Farm Director

    To make room for me, duh.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    961

    Re: Farm Director

    1) Three of their four full-season clubs finished in last place.

    2)They got booted by an affiliate for the second time in three years and ended up in a horrendous situation with their high-A club for at least the next two years that will cost them dearly in multiple ways.

    3)The farm director was an outstanding scout who has a well-earned reputation in scouting, which was his first love to begin with, and probably never really wanted the administrative responsibilities of running a farm system.

    4) The GM's trusted friend was on the payroll and after being a GM for two Major League clubs, needed something to do other than being an assistant/consultant/observer and was well-qualified to take over Player Development and Scouting.

    5) They saw that they could improve their overall player development process by putting a better program in place with accountability for the coaches/rovers that would allow them to keep up with the other organizations when it comes to teaching fundamentals to young players.

    6) The winning at the big league level this season gave them reason for hope and an incentive to be a more professional organization and stop doing things like running 55 players through a minor league team in one season.

    7) Someone, somewhere, realized that there was something wrong from a "big picture" perspective when you have an affiliate in your own market that supposedly could be helping generate positive publicity for your team (and attendance) and that affiliate has two winning halves out of the last 16 and fans are saying that they are tired of it (see some of the Katz articles, which are reflective of a significant group).

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,062

    Re: Farm Director

    What was the move here? Reynolds replaced by Bavasi? Reynolds leaves the organization?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  6. #5
    Member muddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Posts
    1,966

    Re: Farm Director

    Good post redsof72.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,479

    Re: Farm Director

    Great question and greater answer by redsof72.

  8. #7
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,117

    Re: Farm Director

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    What was the move here? Reynolds replaced by Bavasi? Reynolds leaves the organization?
    I'm curious as to the answer to this question. I don't see anything in the Reds recent press releases indicating that some change took place.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    985

    Re: Farm Director

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm curious as to the answer to this question. I don't see anything in the Reds recent press releases indicating that some change took place.
    There hasn't been a change. Bavasi was VP of scouting, player development & international operations this year and Reynolds is still senior director of player development.

  10. #9
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,117

    Re: Farm Director

    Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    There hasn't been a change. Bavasi was VP of scouting, player development & international operations this year and Reynolds is still senior director of player development.
    That's what it seemed like to me. I couldn't figure out what the original issue was.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    961

    Re: Farm Director

    It was made official today.

    From the Reds: The Reds have named Terry Reynolds Senior Director of Professional & Global Scouting...Reynolds joined the organization in January 2004, when he was hired as director of amateur scouting...he was promoted to director of player development in December 2006 and to senior director in October 2008...global scouting was added to his duties a year ago...Vice President of Scouting, Player Development & International Operations Bill Bavasi will continue to oversee the club’s player development department.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,179

    Re: Farm Director

    Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    It was made official today.

    From the Reds: The Reds have named Terry Reynolds Senior Director of Professional & Global Scouting...Reynolds joined the organization in January 2004, when he was hired as director of amateur scouting...he was promoted to director of player development in December 2006 and to senior director in October 2008...global scouting was added to his duties a year ago...Vice President of Scouting, Player Development & International Operations Bill Bavasi will continue to oversee the club’s player development department.
    Sorry, I don't quite understand. It sounds like Bavasi has been running the farm sysem all along -he "will continue to oversee the club's player development department."

    Who runs the draft?

    These titles are obscure to me. Maybe you or somebody can clarify.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    961

    Re: Farm Director

    Terry Reynolds has been running the farm system for the last several years but now he will oversee pro scouting and will no longer be involved in player development. Bill Bavasi will take on a more hands-on role in player development and amateur scouting. He oversaw both areas in 2010, yes, but he oversaw them with a farm director below him. Now he will oversee them without a farm director below him. Freddie Benevides and Bill Doran, I am sure, will expand their roles on the player development side.

    Freddie and Bill are "uniform" personnel, instructors who work directly with the players and often watch from the dugout at the minor league games. You will see them wearing Reds uniforms while everyone else in the dugout will be wearing the uniform of that team. The managers, coaches, and rovers report to them. It is their job to coach the coaches.

    Reynolds was not an "on field" guy. He did not wear a uniform or get involved in the instructional process. He was to the farm system what Walt Jocketty is to the big league club, making personnel decisions, stocking the rosters, etc. Bavasi will take on most of Reynolds responsibilities and I am sure that Benevides and Doran will become a bit more "administrative" in nature, probably getting more involved in decision-making as opposed to just instruction.

    Edit: Before someone correctly makes note of it, I should add that, yes, you also see Freddie and Bill sometimes watching in street clothes from the stands, usually on the first day or last day of their visit. Their visits usually last 4-5 days and then they move on to another club in the Reds system.
    Last edited by redsof72; 12-01-2010 at 06:28 PM.

  14. #13
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Farm Director

    Also....

    Melissa Hill was named the executive assistant to Walt Jocketty after she spent 10 years working for John Schuerholz and the Atlanta Braves.

    The Reds also announced the hirings of professional scouts Marty Maier, Dominic Viola and Steve Roadcap.
    Link
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    44

    Re: Farm Director

    Has anyone heard anything about the new Dragons manager?

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,179

    Re: Farm Director

    Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Terry Reynolds has been running the farm system for the last several years but now he will oversee pro scouting and will no longer be involved in player development. Bill Bavasi will take on a more hands-on role in player development and amateur scouting. He oversaw both areas in 2010, yes, but he oversaw them with a farm director below him. Now he will oversee them without a farm director below him. Freddie Benevides and Bill Doran, I am sure, will expand their roles on the player development side.

    Freddie and Bill are "uniform" personnel, instructors who work directly with the players and often watch from the dugout at the minor league games. You will see them wearing Reds uniforms while everyone else in the dugout will be wearing the uniform of that team. The managers, coaches, and rovers report to them. It is their job to coach the coaches.

    Reynolds was not an "on field" guy. He did not wear a uniform or get involved in the instructional process. He was to the farm system what Walt Jocketty is to the big league club, making personnel decisions, stocking the rosters, etc. Bavasi will take on most of Reynolds responsibilities and I am sure that Benevides and Doran will become a bit more "administrative" in nature, probably getting more involved in decision-making as opposed to just instruction.

    Edit: Before someone correctly makes note of it, I should add that, yes, you also see Freddie and Bill sometimes watching in street clothes from the stands, usually on the first day or last day of their visit. Their visits usually last 4-5 days and then they move on to another club in the Reds system.
    Thanks for the explanation.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25