Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 11/10/10.

Most of you are familiar with this but for the newbies, I write a recap of this show every week that I possibly can. This is not a word for word transcript and, on occasion, I will insert my own comments into the report. My comments will be in parenthesis. Anyway, on with the show.

Thom was the host and started off the show by announcing the NL Gold Glove winners including Reds Scott Rolen, Brandon Phillips and Bronson Arroyo. He said it's Rolen's 8th GG with his 3rd different team. Thom said that Rolen's latest GG puts him only behind Brooks Robinson and Mike Schmidt in total GGs awarded for 3rd basemen. This is Brandon's 2nd GG and Bronson's 1st. Thom said this is the first time Reds have won multiple GGs in a season since Bench, Morgan, Concepcion and Geronimo won it 4 years in a row from 1974-1977. Thom then talked to Brandon by phone. He asked him how he found out. Brandon said that Rob Butcher and Walt called him to let him know. They told him they were very happy for him and Brandon said he's happy for himself. He said he's worked his butt off and defense wins games and championships. He said a lot of people overlook defense and he works hard during BP fielding ground balls and pop ups. Thom said there is no one that is sweeter to little kids than Brandon. Thom asked him what his parents told him about defense. He said that they told him that if he could catch the ball, there would be a spot for him. He said defense isn't as selfish thing since you're working with 8 other guys and he tries to be the pitcher's best friend. He added that if you work your butt off on defense, it will set an example for the other players. Thom asked how he looked back on the year. Brandon said he was very happy with what they accomplished but it's only the beginning of what they can do. He felt that they could beat the Giants. He said he's still hungry and wants to bring a championship here. Thom said that knowing the talent coming back it would be hard for anyone not to get excited. Brandon said that they know they can go further and they are the team to beat. He said as long as they go out there and take care of business, they will be OK. He said the city has something to look forward to and he feels they should have more fans and more people coming to the games than they did last year. He said if they do their job they will have the Red Nation spreading over the world. After Brandon hung up Thom said that the Reds are second to none when it comes to great fielding 2Bs over the last 40 years.

After commercial, Thom talked about RedsFest which will be on December 3rd and 4th. He said that fans will get a free view level ticket to the Friday April 15 game against the Pirates (At least PIT will play in front of a big crowd one time a year.) The 1st 10,000 each day will get a drawstring bag and mug.

The first caller said he hopes Bob and the owners will honor Sparky properly. He thinks they should get a statue of Sparky out in front of the stadium. (Go in the Reds HOF & Museum and you'll see a statue of him in there.) The caller then asked if Hanigan would be the #1 catcher next year. Thom liked the statue idea and said that Razor Ramon is a free agent but the Reds are still talking to him. He said Ramon had a great year last year. He said Hanigan has never been an everyday catcher in the bigs. He said Mesoraco might be a factor and Corky has signed a minor league contract.

The next caller said that Brandon deserved that GG and he's a great guy. Thom said Brandon handled the comments he made before the StL series poorly but he would be proud to call him his son. He said it's heartbreaking that that is the perception of him now. (Perhaps the Reds PR staff should promote him more nationally. Emphasize the good things he does.) The caller asked what the Reds would do at SS. He thinks Janish is ready. Thom said they got OCab at the last minute before this season started. He thinks the Reds would bring him back if they could get him for the same price or cheaper. He said that Cozart could be in the mix and Janish is the frontrunner like he was last year.

The next caller asked about David Eckstein. Thom said he could be the kind of guy the Reds could pick up. He said he has a low OBP (Marty's gonna slap the taste out of his mouth if he hears that from him) and hit .267 and no extra base power but he can put the ball in play and steal an occasional base and field the ball well.

After commercial Thom saluted the military veterans and said the HOF & Museum is offering free admission to active military members on the 11th. The next caller asked how many errors did Jay Bruce have and who beat him out for the GG. Thom said the problem he has is that they don't pick by LF, RF and CF in the OF, they pick the "best defensive" (my emphasis) 3 OFers. Thom said they had 3 CFers that won the award, Carlos Gonzalez, Shane Victorino and Michael Bourne. (Jay needed to hit better.) He feels the GG is in his future. The caller said that none of those guys have the arm that Jay does. Thom agreed.

The next caller asked if Arthur Rhodes will be with the Reds next year. She was concerned that he's over 40 and has foot problems. Thom said that isn't really old for what he does and the foot problem can be taken care of with rest and orthotics.

The next caller said he wants Juan Uribe and Mat Kemp on the Reds. Thom said he wouldn't mind even though Uribe's hasn't kept a regular's role except for this year. He said that he would have to ask around about Kemp. He said he's made some statements that make him sound selfish. He said he's an extraordinary talent but his attitude may not fit in with this team.

After commercial, Thom said there would be a Q&A session at the Reds HOF & Museum at 6:30 of a new book about the 2010 Reds called, "The Comeback Kids" by Joe Jacobs and Mark Schmetzer (First I've heard of it.) He said you can buy it there as well.

The next caller thanked and congratulated the Reds on a great season and wouldn't bring Ramon and OCab back. He feels it's Hanigan's and Janish's time to shine. He asked if Miguel Cabrera (sic) will be back with the Reds next year. Thom asked him if he meant he would be back with DET. The caller said he meant Miguel Cairo. Thom said he wouldn't be surprised to see him back. The caller said he'd love to have him back. Thom said he likes the city and his teammates so he might come back.

The next caller asked about Matt Kemp. Thom said the more he looks at Kemp the more he would pass on him. He said he hit .240 and struck out 170 times and will get a big raise in arbitration. Thom said that he could see the Reds going after a guy who could share time with Gomes and could play all the OF positions and could lead off and has some speed. (Great. Gomes is the de facto starter next year. Woo hoo.) He said that they don't have the money for a Matt Kemp they just need to find someone who can fit in really well with the team and that can bring them something they don't have. The caller added that if they don't go with Janish as the everyday SS, they need to trade him. (The Reds Hot Stove League Show: The Algonquin Round Table of the 21st century.)

The next caller asked if Rafael Furcal might be a good option for leadoff and SS. Thom said he makes too much money. He said the Reds need to be careful with their money because Jay Bruce is eligible for arbitration and will get a large pay raise and so will Cueto. They figured Votto would get a big raise and while the Reds aren't crying poor, they don't have a lot of extra money to spend. Thom said there are others who are going to get raises too. The caller suggested Juan Pierre (Dusty would love him.) Thom said the Reds would love both but they are both too expensive. Pierre would only be a part time player and he's making a lot of money.

The next caller asked if there was anyone who talked to Stubbs after the season and told him he needed to get his average up. (Average, hell. OBP is more like it.) He said the power and speed is there but he can't steal 1st. Thom said that he wishes he had a dime for everyone who just said what the caller said about a player. He believes the Reds have talked to him about it because he has a chance to be a superstar. He said he'll hit 30 HRs a year and steal 60-70 bases (What is this, 1972? He didn’t steal that many this year what makes anyone expect he'll steal that many in the future?) Thom said if he can get the batting average up to .270 or .275, look out.

After commercial, the next caller thinks Brett Gardner would be a great fit for LF and leadoff for the Reds. Thom thought that was a great idea. Thom added that he’s not a free agent. The caller thinks the Reds could get him fairly cheap and even for someone who’s not on the 40 man roster.

The next caller said the Reds really need to concentrate on getting a table setter for the top of the lineup. The guy can get on 1st, steal 2nd and 3rd then get in on a sac fly or a base hit and you’re up 1-0 (Unless you’re at home and the other team has scored already.) Thom said he couldn’t argue with him and said it didn’t happen very often but it was great when Stubbs did that. The caller said that a guy on base can put pressure on the pitcher and then he’s liable to make a mistake. Thom said a true leadoff hitter was the only weakness the team had last year.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 11/10/10. So let it be written. So let it be done.
    Last edited by Chip R; 11-12-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Stove League show report

Thank you as always, Chip!

Good to see the casual fan isn't losing sight of the facts that Batting Average is the most important stat and that slightly increasingly the chance of going up 1-0 in the first inning trumps everything else about scoring runs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Thanks a lot, Chip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    After commercial, the next caller thinks Brett Gardner would be a great fit for LF and leadoff for the Reds. Thom thought that was a great idea. Thom added that he’s not a free agent. The caller thinks the Reds could get him fairly cheap and even for someone who’s not on the 40 man roster.
    . . . and let me know when that caller stops dreaming.

Thanks Chip. You do a great job at this and deserve some battle pay for having to listen to some of those callers.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

And it's officially the off season with our first Chip Report from the Hot Stove show! Thanks as always and I hope you do get some battle pay for these reports soon, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

How many times have you seen a lead off hitter get on base and then steal 2nd and 3rd?

Some make it sould like everyone's doing it except us.

Even Maury Wills in the dead ball era of the 60's didn't do that all that much I'm guessing.

Otherwise, he'd have 300 SB's in a season.

Thanks Chip. :notworthy

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    How many times have you seen a lead off hitter get on base and then steal 2nd and 3rd?

Some make it sould like everyone's doing it except us.

Even Maury Wills in the dead ball era of the 60's didn't do that all that much I'm guessing.

Otherwise, he'd have 300 SB's in a season.
    Didn't you hear the caller or read Chip's synopsis. Brett Gardner can do it and the Yankees will give him away for a pint of Graeters.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Didn't you hear the caller or read Chip's synopsis. Brett Gardner can do it and the Yankees will give him away for a pint of Graeters.
    It was a very good idea to go after Gardner one of the few good ideas I've ever heard on the Hot Stove show. But of course it was a gross undervaluing of what the Yankees likely think of this kid. That said he has only had one good year to this point so if there is a time to strike it's now. Gardner does have his weaknesses he struck out about 1/5 times to the plate. Not great for a true leadoff type but would be an impact type guy for us if he can have a similiar season as last.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

As for Janish just something I picked up...

"He's solid-average," one scout told Fay. "He's limited in range with plus hands and plus instincts. He plays a little tall and that keeps him from getting to some balls. I've always had him as an extra infielder. If you play him every day, he gets exposed a bit offensively. I think defensively I've got him on the 20-80 scale at 60 because of his hands and he's got a strong, accurate arm."

We'll see how the market plays out, but it's a shallow class of free agents at the position and Janish may very well be the Reds' best bet.
    As for the rest of the piece you need insider access...

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

thanks Chip,you come threw like always!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

IMO, Janish is being underestimated both offensively and defensively. Statistically, his range looks to be above average. Offensively, his work on strength has produced steady improvement. It seems to be nearly impossible to graduate from utility IF to legitimate starter in the minds of many.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    IMO, Janish is being underestimated both offensively and defensively. Statistically, his range looks to be above average. Offensively, his work on strength has produced steady improvement. It seems to be nearly impossible to graduate from utility IF to legitimate starter in the minds of many.
    Agreed. Some labels never peal off.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm not seeing the limited range on Janish. At ALL.

Turn Off Ads?