Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early 2011 CBS/Sportsline Power Rankings....REDS #7

Hybrid View

Early 2011 CBS/Sportsline Power Rankings....REDS #7

Question: Has winning baseball returned to stay in Cincinnati, or will Dusty Baker revert to his old arm-shredding, OBP-ignorant self?

Strengths: They go seven deep in the rotation. Maybe the Reds trade from this happy (and affordable) excess to fill an organizational hole, like the one behind the plate.

Needs: One long-term contract for Joey Votto before the first-base market goes kablooey (see under: upcoming deals for Pujols, Gonzalez and Fielder); two reliable relievers (Brian Fuentes?); three everyday-player-type players, with "Help Wanted" signs currently posted at shortstop and in left field and an age- or injury-related vacancy looming at third base.

Odds of 2011 glory: Only two of the six NL Central teams currently exist in a state of something other than serene befuddlement, and the Reds are one of them. Gotta like those odds.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1...until-february

Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-12-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Re: Early 2011 CBS/Sportsline Power Rankings....REDS #7

HAHAHA, this is the best line from that article:

"Only two of the six NL Central teams currently exist in a state of something other than serene befuddlement, and the Reds are one of them. Gotta like those odds."

I kind of feel bad for the Pirates with this sort of expectation:

"Question: Why haven't atheist groups targeted PNC Park for their recruiting pushes? Strengths: Post-game fireworks; low expectations. Needs: Everything, but mostly pitching and hope. Odds of 2011 glory: Come on now."
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 11-12-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Though I kind of question him putting the Giants in that 1st position. The Giants had a great team this year but a lot of their guys were reclamation projects and cast offs from other teams. I don't know if they will have the same success with that cast of characters like the Rangers or even the stacked Yankees will have.

Great to see the Reds getting respect.

"organizational hole, like the one behind the plate."

yeah, ok. i guess this guy missed the reds had one of the best producing catching tandems in baseball last year and have 2 first round picks that will be in AA and AAA next year.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post

yeah, ok. i guess this guy missed the reds had one of the best producing catching tandems in baseball last year and have 2 first round picks that will be in AA and AAA next year.
    Yeah when I saw that I did a double take.

The guy who did the hot stove predictions on SI.com had them as needing a catcher more than anything else and targeting (Get this!) Yorvit Torrealba. Do these guys do any research before they write?

He definitely missed that.

They were a good hitting tandem, but not the greatest defensive catchers-high ERA, low caught stealing %, etc. I assume they are talking about this from a defensive standpoint, where they are only around average I would say. I would love to have an upgrade of one catcher who is a defensive specialiast (Corky is actually the best catcher of the 3 IMO), so I dont see his view as that far off in that sense.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Do you think that when he is talking about organizational hole, he is talking about defense? Ramon Hernandez only threw out 34% of runners. Ryan Hanigan only threw out 32%. I agree that they probably got the most offensive production from the Catcher position than any other team in baseball but the defense leaves a bit to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Do you think that when he is talking about organizational hole, he is talking about defense? Ramon Hernandez only threw out 34% of runners. Ryan Hanigan only threw out 32%. I agree that they probably got the most offensive production from the Catcher position than any other team in baseball but the defense leaves a bit to be desired.
    That could be. Neither RED got a single vote for Gold Glove @ Catcher, while about 10 other Catchers received at least one vote.

I doubt either one started even half the games at catcher this season so that's understandable.

Hanigan is a great defensive catcher, not sure why his runners thrown out percentage was down this year. Maybe due to half his games being with the slow throwing Arroyo but i didn't look into the details.

I doubt either one started even half the games at catcher this season so that's understandable.

Hanigan is a great defensive catcher, not sure why his runners thrown out percentage was down this year. Maybe due to half his games being with the slow throwing Arroyo but i didn't look into the details.
    Arroyo was one of the 5 best Right-handed pitchers in baseball as far as not letting runners steal a base. Something like only 8 attempted, 2 were picked off and something else happened to another one.

Arroyo's got one of the best moves of any Right-hander in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Arroyo was one of the 5 best Right-handed pitchers in baseball as far as not letting runners steal a base. Something like only 8 attempted, 2 were picked off and something else happened to another one.

Arroyo's got one of the best moves of any Right-hander in the game.
    Yes, but that has nothing to do with Hanigan's stats. How many of the 8 were successful?

Yes, but that has nothing to do with Hanigan's stats. How many of the 8 were successful?
    Success rate against Arroyo (don't know which ones were Hanigan's).

2010: 6 of 8
    2009: 12 of 18
    2008: 5 of 7
    2007: 3 of 9
    2006: 5 of 10
    2005: 4 of 7
    2004: 4 of 9

In 295 career games, only 84 attempts have been made against Arroyo. So, only the best of the best ever try to steal a base on him. 50 of 84 success rate, or one Stolen Base every 6th start. If that's not the best, then it's in the Top-3 over the last 10 years for Right-Handed starting pitchers.

Turn Off Ads?