Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early 2011 CBS/Sportsline Power Rankings....REDS #7

Re: Early 2011 CBS/Sportsline Power Rankings....REDS #7

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    I doubt either one started even half the games at catcher this season so that's understandable.

Hanigan is a great defensive catcher, not sure why his runners thrown out percentage was down this year. Maybe due to half his games being with the slow throwing Arroyo but i didn't look into the details.
    Arroyo was one of the 5 best Right-handed pitchers in baseball as far as not letting runners steal a base. Something like only 8 attempted, 2 were picked off and something else happened to another one.

Arroyo's got one of the best moves of any Right-hander in the game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Arroyo was one of the 5 best Right-handed pitchers in baseball as far as not letting runners steal a base. Something like only 8 attempted, 2 were picked off and something else happened to another one.

Arroyo's got one of the best moves of any Right-hander in the game.
    Yes, but that has nothing to do with Hanigan's stats. How many of the 8 were successful?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I don't know who this guy is but he is an IDIOT if he thinks we need help behind the plate PERIOD.
    Exactly. Enough said. Move on.

Anything anyone writes trying to justify this statement is wasted time. the article said this is an ORGANIZATIONAL hole. It clearly is not.
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 11-15-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with Hanigan's stats. How many of the 8 were successful?
    Success rate against Arroyo (don't know which ones were Hanigan's).

2010: 6 of 8
    2009: 12 of 18
    2008: 5 of 7
    2007: 3 of 9
    2006: 5 of 10
    2005: 4 of 7
    2004: 4 of 9

In 295 career games, only 84 attempts have been made against Arroyo. So, only the best of the best ever try to steal a base on him. 50 of 84 success rate, or one Stolen Base every 6th start. If that's not the best, then it's in the Top-3 over the last 10 years for Right-Handed starting pitchers.

One thing with Caught Stealing stats is that the Catcher of record is credited with a Caught Stealing, even if the Pitcher picks off the runner.

In 2009 and 2010, there were 28 Stolen Bases when Hanigan was the Catcher.

In 2009 there were 21 Caught Stealings for the 43% "Caught" rate we all know about with Hanigan from two years ago.

In 2010 there were 13 Caught Stealings for the 32% "Caught" rate we are talking about now with Hanigan.

But, in 2009, 4 of those Caught Stealings were Pickoffs by the Pitcher, whereas in 2010 just 1 of those Caught Stealings were pickoffs by the Pitcher.

So, instead of the 43% dropoff to the 32% dropoff we think Hanigan suffered from 2009 to 2010, it's really a 39% (2009's true number) to 30% dropoff.

In other words, Hanigan wasn't that good in 2009 in throwing out runners, either.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...01-field.shtml

---------------------

"organizational hole, like the one behind the plate."

yeah, ok. i guess this guy missed the reds had one of the best producing catching tandems in baseball last year and have 2 first round picks that will be in AA and AAA next year.
    They were a good hitting tandem, but not the greatest defensive catchers-high ERA, low caught stealing %, etc. I assume they are talking about this from a defensive standpoint, where they are only around average I would say. I would love to have an upgrade of one catcher who is a defensive specialiast (Corky is actually the best catcher of the 3 IMO), so I dont see his view as that far off in that sense.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

This was also written while Hernandez was still a FA. How comfortable would you have been going into the season with Hannigan and Corkey as your tandem?
    Sto Pro Veritate

From today's resigning article:

"Last season, Reds catchers led the NL with 168 hits and a .296 batting average. Ryan Hanigan and Corky Miller also were part of Cincinnati’s group behind the plate. They also ranked second with 91 RBI and third with an on-base percentage of .375."

They might not have led the league in defense, but I certainly don't remember any glaring problems. More proof that writer is a NTAC. It shows why having one guy make judgements on all the other teams, when they clearly don't do the needed research, is such a waste of print.

People, calling our catching situation an organizational hole is saying that we have terrible catchers at the MLB level and no one coming up through the minor league system. That is incorrect on so many levels, its just stupid.
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 11-16-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    From today's resigning article:

"Last season, Reds catchers led the NL with 168 hits and a .296 batting average. Ryan Hanigan and Corky Miller also were part of Cincinnatiís group behind the plate. They also ranked second with 91 RBI and third with an on-base percentage of .375."

They might not have led the league in defense, but I certainly don't remember any glaring problems. More proof that writer is a NTAC. It shows why having one guy make judgements on all the other teams, when they clearly don't do the needed research, is such a waste of print.

People, calling our catching situation an organizational hole is saying that we have terrible catchers at the MLB level and no one coming up through the minor league system. That is incorrect on so many levels, its just stupid.
    It is closer then you are I think. Mes is on way, but who knows what we have with him. Who else ya got in mind in the minors? No future GG at the spot that I can see. O"rganizational hole" is a little overdramatic, but it def is a weaker spot in the org overall.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    It is closer then you are I think. Mes is on way, but who knows what we have with him. Who else ya got in mind in the minors? No future GG at the spot that I can see. O"rganizational hole" is a little overdramatic, but it def is a weaker spot in the org overall.
    Yasmani Grandl says hi
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

The comment about our catching situation shows there wasn't much research for this article, but it's still REALLY COOL to be getting this kind of respect and recognition.

"I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post

It shows why having one guy make judgements on all the other teams, when they clearly don't do the needed research, is such a waste of print.
    Consequently, beat writers are generally going to give you the best information about a team, with most others making quite a bit of it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sabowned View Post
    Yasmani Grandl says hi
    Hi back? Where was I wrong, he wont ever win GG, lucky if he ever gets a vote, if he makes it up to Cincy. He is a hitter who plays catcher, not a catcher who can hit.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?