Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 181

Thread: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

  1. #1
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Game numero uno is in the books for the Ohio State basketball team. Ohio State blew by a weak North Carolina A&T club 102-61.

    It was a pretty sleek game statistically for Ohio State. Jared Sullinger had 19 points and 14 rebounds, Dallas Lauderdale had 13 & 12 and freshman point guard Aaron Craft had 8 points and 9 assists off the bench--with no turnovers.

    Next up for Ohio State is a tough game at No. 11 Florida on Tuesday as part of ESPN's 24-hour college basketball marathon. That will be an interesting test for them.

    I kind of thought the No. 4 ranking was too lofty this early in the season for Ohio State. But their depth and talent has been tremendous so far. The chemistry, even in liberal substitutions, has been seamless.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,469

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Shows how closely I follow college basketball until later in the season, but I had no idea they were so highly ranked. I knew they were going to be highly touted with four starters coming back and a really good freshman class, but I was expecting something in the 10-15 range.

    I'm excited for this year, seems like a team that's capable of a deep run in March.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  4. #3
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,296

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    IMO the success of the team rest in that freshman Aaron Craft. They have needed a PG ever since Connely left. If Craft can play well this season they have a dangerous team. If Bufford is force to play PG I think the year will end up disappointing.

  5. #4
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO the success of the team rest in that freshman Aaron Craft. They have needed a PG ever since Connely left. If Craft can play well this season they have a dangerous team. If Bufford is force to play PG I think the year will end up disappointing.
    Craft is the real deal. I saw him several times in AAU ball with All-Ohio, and trust me when I say what he's doing right now is not an illusion. He lacks the pure explosive talent of some of the top tier point guards, but he's as pure a point guard as you could possibly ask for.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  6. #5
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,415

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Really early but I highly doubt anyone but Duke is better than OSU.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  7. #6
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Really early but I highly doubt anyone but Duke is better than OSU.
    If Florida proves to be a top ten team and the Bucks stay healthy then yeah.Signs point to that being the case with Florida but I'm not going to rush judgment on either team just yet.No doubt OSU is going to be really good but, I'm not sure it's them and Duke in a class of their own.

    Either way, Ohio State played a fantastic game tonight against a team that made a lot of big shots and even threatened to pull ahead of OSU at one point.The back and fourth was amazing.What a fun games it was to watch.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 11-16-2010 at 10:43 PM.

  8. #7
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    If Florida proves to be a top ten team and the Bucks stay healthy then yeah.Signs point to that being the case with Florida but I'm not going to rush judgment on either team just yet.No doubt OSU is going to be really good but, I'm not sure it's them and Duke in a class of their own.

    Either way, Ohio State played a fantastic game tonight against a team that made a lot of big shots and even threatened to pull ahead of OSU at one point.The back and fourth was amazing.What a fun games it was to watch.
    Defensively, Duke probably gets after it better than anyone. But Ohio State's offensive firepower is as good as it gets this year... at least from what we've seen so far.

    Tonight people will talk about Florida's awful defense. But a big point they're missing is that Ohio State was beating Florida's press and getting easy buckets before they could get back and get set defensively. Then after Ohio State countered with several big baskets, Florida just kind of quit.

    I don't know whether or not it's a class of their own, but I do think Duke and Ohio State are the best bets right now to get to the Final Four. Kansas State is a good team, but the jury is still out on them. Michigan State has the chance to be in that class, as does a few other teams.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  9. #8
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Defensively, Duke probably gets after it better than anyone. But Ohio State's offensive firepower is as good as it gets this year... at least from what we've seen so far.

    Tonight people will talk about Florida's awful defense. But a big point they're missing is that Ohio State was beating Florida's press and getting easy buckets before they could get back and get set defensively. Then after Ohio State countered with several big baskets, Florida just kind of quit.

    I don't know whether or not it's a class of their own, but I do think Duke and Ohio State are the best bets right now to get to the Final Four. Kansas State is a good team, but the jury is still out on them. Michigan State has the chance to be in that class, as does a few other teams.
    I started thinking about half way through the first half that if Donovan didn't give up on the full court press the Buckeyes would take advantage sooner or later.Normally I wouldn't second guess a guy that has had so much success but, I really feel like he didn't give his guys a chance.Even when it was painfully obvious that it wasn't going to work they kept pressing.IMO it was more a case of bad strategy then it was Florida players not playing defense.

  10. #9
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I started thinking about half way through the first half that if Donovan didn't give up on the full court press the Buckeyes would take advantage sooner or later.Normally I wouldn't second guess a guy that has had so much success but, I really feel like he didn't give his guys a chance.Even when it was painfully obvious that it wasn't going to work they kept pressing.IMO it was more a case of bad strategy then it was Florida players not playing defense.
    I definitely didn't understand the reluctance to pull off the pressure.

    It was so clear, even to Donovan, that they weren't getting Craft rattled, they decided to double him on the in-bounds so they could deny the ball. All Ohio State did, then, was bring up Buford to accept the trigger and Ohio State used the newly created man advantage to get outlet quickly down the court and score easily.

    At that juncture, Donovan should have scrapped the press and worked on his team playing halfcourt defense. Very strange decision indeed.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  11. #10
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,296

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    I was very, very impressed with OSU against Florida. A couple of comments about the game.

    Craft looked good. Steady PG who can hit the outside shot when needed. His job is to get the offense started and get the ball to scorers.

    I make no secret about it, Bufford is probably my least favorite player of the Thad Matta era. He is supremely talented but just takes too many poor shots. Too many "only a good shot if it goes in" type shots. I was impressed with how he handled the PG position. He got the offense started and ran an offense. I don't mind when he shoots, I just don't like him jacking up quick shots early in the clock. He didn't do that last night.

    Dare I say it but David Lighty looked like Even Turner. IMO he is the key to the season. He can guard anyone from the 2-5 spot. His shot looks much, much, much better.

    Sullinger will be a beast this season. He looked good and quick on the blocks last night. It will be interested to see how his mid-range game looks. But he knows how to move without the ball and find openings. His defense does need some help, but what freshman doesn't need to work on D.

    Thad Matta played man to man. I think I was most happy about that last night.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    162

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    I know it's early, but after last night's game, I am convinced that this is the best Buckeyes TEAM, with an emphasis on TEAM, I have ever seen in my 26 years of existence.

    They made Florida's press look silly and were not afraid to make the extra pass even passing up an open shot for a better shot at times.

    They just have phenomenal chemistry for so many young guys. I know you have the glue with Lighty, Buford and Diebler, but Sullinger, Thomas and Craft have stepped in and played like they have been teammates of the older guys for years.

    I am very excited about this team!

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Really good early showing. But let's remember it's November and my guess is that Florida team isn't going to be as good as its current ranking. However, I think this is a very 'likeable' team. Even during the Oden, Conley, Cook year, I had a hard time rooting for a team like that because everyone knew they were one-and-dones. When I think about those players, I don't even consider them Buckeyes. But I agree with BuckWild, this might be the best team, in the true sense of the word, at Ohio State in a long time...

    It's interesting too that Donovan said after the game that this OSU team is better without Turner. No offense to Turner's abilities, but they aren't as one-dimensional as last year...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

  14. #13
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,415

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Really good early showing. But let's remember it's November and my guess is that Florida team isn't going to be as good as its current ranking. However, I think this is a very 'likeable' team. Even during the Oden, Conley, Cook year, I had a hard time rooting for a team like that because everyone knew they were one-and-dones. When I think about those players, I don't even consider them Buckeyes. But I agree with BuckWild, this might be the best team, in the true sense of the word, at Ohio State in a long time...

    It's interesting too that Donovan said after the game that this OSU team is better without Turner. No offense to Turner's abilities, but they aren't as one-dimensional as last year...
    It's really early, I agree on that. Can this Buckeye team stop the ball? Does this Buckeye team have enough inside depth to compete with some teams?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    162

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    It's really early, I agree on that. Can this Buckeye team stop the ball? Does this Buckeye team have enough inside depth to compete with some teams?
    I think this is one question that we will start to see teams with an inside presence explore this season--trying to bait Sullinger in to foul trouble. I think that will be his biggest obstacle in learning to handle that this year.

    Lauderdale is a dominating shot blocker in the mold of Ken Johnson but he's also going to have 2 or 3 silly fouls every game.

    Beyond that, who do we have to go to? I don't think of Kecman as much of an inside presence. Anyone know anything about Evan Ravenel? This may very well be the team's achilles heal and where the team will really have to rely on a zone defense if the big guys get in to foul trouble.

  16. #15
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

    Ohio State is legit. Eddie Munster didn't do his team any favors by trying to keep the press on when it was clearly sabotaging his team's chance at a victory however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"



Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25