Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Ohio State definitely doesn't have anyone that can defend JaJuan Johnson. He's so difficult to guard because he's got some post moves, though mostly finesse moves, but this year he's become such a face-up threat. He kind of plays a little like Kevin Durant this year in some ways.

But his ability to step out and hit a shot, play away from the basket, will be tough for OSU. The reason Mike Tisdale was tough yesterday for Illinois is that he's able to drag Sullinger & Lauderdale away from the basket -- something they're not comfortable with. Lauderdale is good for hedging screens because of his length, but he isn't comfortable guarding out there.

For that reason, I suspect Johnson will get his points. Sullinger & Johnson will probably both go for 25, as JJ isn't a great defender.

So the issue, then, becomes whether or not Ohio State can defend E'Twaun Moore as well as they've done with Battle & McCamey of Penn State & Illinois respectively. If they do, I can't see Purdue going into Columbus and winning. If they don't, could be a fantastic finish. Purdue is getting just enough out of Barlow, Smith, Byrd, etc. to keep pace, but they can't afford off-nights for their two stars.
    It will be a tough game and OSU is bound to lose one sooner or later. As for Johnson I wonder if OSU will put Lighty on him. Lighty is one of the most versitile players I can remember in college basketball. I don't know if he has the size to play with him on the blocks but he should be able to guard him away from the basket.

The thing that drives me nuts about Thad is probably his best quality. He never panics and always sticks to his strategy. He doesn't make snap decisions and keeps with his game plan. When OSU went down 8 to Illinois I got worried and wanted changes. OSU didn't change and eventually wore down the Illini.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Buckeyes are just laying wood to Purdue right now. wooooooo

What was that, the Globetrotters vs. the Generals? Aaron Craft as Curly Neal, Jared Sullinger as Meadowlark Lemon, DeShaun Thomas as Goose Tatum.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Bucks looked like the best team in the country tonight against Purdue.If they keep this up they'll be hard to beat come tournament time.As long as they stay healthy they're the team to beat imo.

I already thought they were the best team in the country, but after that display last night, there's no doubt left. I think this OSU team cuts the nets in March. They are scary good.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I already thought they were the best team in the country, but after that display last night, there's no doubt left. I think this OSU team cuts the nets in March. They are scary good.
    I'm on the fence about this team. I can see them winning it all, but I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that come March, this team will forget how to play team Basketball.

Sullinger is a scary talent but I think they might rely on him too much in pressure situations. Craft is the wild card on this team. If e can play like he did the other night consistantly, we be lookin' good. OTOH, if he is inconsistant, I could see a second or third round exit.
    Witty signature.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    I'm on the fence about this team. I can see them winning it all, but I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that come March, this team will forget how to play team Basketball.
    I watched the Illinois game and can understand that POV. They definitely have some rough edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I watched the Illinois game and can understand that POV. They definitely have some rough edges.
    I'm not seeing the rough edges. That's not to say they're perfect, as no team is, but they're about as complete a team as you could ask for.

First, in response to the earlier comment about team basketball, I don't think it will change. Craft, Sullinger & Sibert have played together for 4 years in AAU and play pretty much as they're playing now. They lost only a handful of AAU games out of nearly 200, and won 3 national titles together.

Throw in David Lighty & Jon Diebler, who have been consummate team players since they got to Ohio State, and what you see is what you get with them. William Buford was a little iffy with shot selection early in his career, but even he's really thrived with the team concept. They're one of the more unselfish teams I've ever seen, especially considering they don't play in a motion, flex or swing offense that is more predicated on passing.

But really, the only thing this team has lacked this year has been the ability to consistently put teams away. I think that's more about playing board with the schedule than anything, as they showed against Purdue they have the ability to play at an extremely high level.

Looking at it: dominant post player, heady, talented point guard, scorers, shooters, perimeter defenders, a shot-blocker/screener, and a scorer off the bench capable of putting up 20 on a given night. There really aren't any soft spots on that team.

I think the only possible weakness with Ohio State is if you can get them in a physical, full court game and hope to get a few guys in foul trouble or a little worn down, they don't go real deep. But even then, you're running a risk because of their ability to score in transition, and they'll usually break pressure with ease.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I got to watch the NW game from about the last 5 minutes of the 1st half on. NW nearly stole that game with the good old fashioned stalling tactic and finally hit a few 3's. Run the shotclock, bombs away on a 3 and hope--those geniuses at NW are clearly just smarter than everyone else

This is a game where those who didn't see the game would say "really?" or "I told you so," but I told my boys earlier in the day that this was the perfect trap game, and then with Shurna out, it became even more so for that one game. NW did what they wanted to do, and probably feel pretty good about themselves today.

I thought Ohio State played well, NW just limited the number of possessions. The Buckeyes had a blowout working until that flukey 7 point play. Get on the bus, get of town.

I will be very surprised if they make it through this stretch of games undefeated. Michigan, @Wisc, @ Purdue, Mich. St. That will be hard to not stub a toe.

But, I am of a mind that the sooner the undefeated tag goes away, the better. It won't change a thing for seeding and it will remove some of the pressure of being undefeated this late in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I got to watch the NW game from about the last 5 minutes of the 1st half on. NW nearly stole that game with the good old fashioned stalling tactic and finally hit a few 3's. Run the shotclock, bombs away on a 3 and hope--those geniuses at NW are clearly just smarter than everyone else

This is a game where those who didn't see the game would say "really?" or "I told you so," but I told my boys earlier in the day that this was the perfect trap game, and then with Shurna out, it became even more so for that one game. NW did what they wanted to do, and probably feel pretty good about themselves today.

I thought Ohio State played well, NW just limited the number of possessions. The Buckeyes had a blowout working until that flukey 7 point play. Get on the bus, get of town.

I will be very surprised if they make it through this stretch of games undefeated. Michigan, @Wisc, @ Purdue, Mich. St. That will be hard to not stub a toe.

But, I am of a mind that the sooner the undefeated tag goes away, the better. It won't change a thing for seeding and it will remove some of the pressure of being undefeated this late in the season.
    I only watched a handful of minutes and those consisted of very early in the game and the last 5 minutes. Northwestern used the textbook game plan to upsetting a more talent team. You take the air out of the ball and hit the 3. The problem with that game plan is that if you don't hit the 3 at a high rate you are blown out of the game.

Late in the game Northwestern was down 10 points but hit 3's on 3-4 straight possessions. Couple that with OSU going 1-4 from the line + missing the front end of a 1 and 1. Only a handful of teams have the ability to play like NW and be successful at it. Notre Dame comes to mind but you often find out that their success is very limited in the tournament.

At home against Meechigan tonight at 7pm EST

This team is really impressing me. I know the Michigan game wasn't pretty, but they pulled out yet another one. The Big 10 probably lags behind the Big East this year (a huge part of that reason being that the Big East has 32 teams), but it's incredibly deep. Even teams like Penn State, Northwestern, and Michigan can beat anyone on any given night. Yet this OSU team hasn't lost once so far. Pulling out all of these close games is really going to help come tourney time, IMO.

The one thing that really concerns me is the free throw shooting. That could loom large come March.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    This team is really impressing me. I know the Michigan game wasn't pretty, but they pulled out yet another one. The Big 10 probably lags behind the Big East this year (a huge part of that reason being that the Big East has 32 teams), but it's incredibly deep. Even teams like Penn State, Northwestern, and Michigan can beat anyone on any given night. Yet this OSU team hasn't lost once so far. Pulling out all of these close games is really going to help come tourney time, IMO.

The one thing that really concerns me is the free throw shooting. That could loom large come March.
    The FT shooting could come back to haunt them. The one thing I can notice is Sullinger's FT stroke. I like the stroke he just seems like a very streak FT shooter. He may be the type of guy who will go 9-10 in one game and then 5-10 in another. Lighty IMO is the biggest problem at the line. Guy can get to the line but has trouble converting.

I've been noticing it for several weeks now, I see Matta & Co. are finally speaking out about the hack-a-Shack method currently being used to "defend" Sullinger. I have never understood why referees think that just because a guy is huge and tough that it should not still consider the contact a foul.

Since 2004 Ohio State is 22-2 against Michigan combined in football and men's basketball.

Turn Off Ads?