Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

Re: Ohio State hoops 2010-11

Up to #2 in the most recent poll.

I haven't watched the last two games, but they seemed like sluggish blowouts if that makes sense.

They play Florida State at their place in the Big 10/ACC tomorrow night.

2. Turn Off Ads?

An ugly, Big 10 like game where both teams played shut down D. The game was in the Bucks control throughout, Florida St. just doesn't have much offense. D and rebounding got it done for the Bucks.

Their outside shooting is a concern for me. FSU packed the zone in the first half to keep the game close despite their offensive woes. When OSU started penetrating in the 2nd half, FSU started swatting balls left and right (they were letting them play, let me tell you, Sullinger was beat to death in there with only a few calls).

I dunno what to think after that game. Last night Craft was dribbling around, then decided to make a move after half the shot clock was gone, forcing several bad shots due to the clock running down. The D is back, nice switching and rotating man to man.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    An ugly, Big 10 like game where both teams played shut down D. The game was in the Bucks control throughout, Florida St. just doesn't have much offense. D and rebounding got it done for the Bucks.

Their outside shooting is a concern for me. FSU packed the zone in the first half to keep the game close despite their offensive woes. When OSU started penetrating in the 2nd half, FSU started swatting balls left and right (they were letting them play, let me tell you, Sullinger was beat to death in there with only a few calls).

I dunno what to think after that game. Last night Craft was dribbling around, then decided to make a move after half the shot clock was gone, forcing several bad shots due to the clock running down. The D is back, nice switching and rotating man to man.
    I was somewhat impressed with the game. Every game isn't going to be a run and shoot game that is offensive. What was impressive is the defensive effort by OSU. Everyone on OSU played a great defensive game, that will win more games than not, especially with the type of offensive players OSU has.

A bigger concern to me is Bufford. The guy just doesn't get it. There is something holding him back from being a very good player. Last season it was an awful shot selection. This season he just doesn't seem to play smart basketball. It was disappointing to see him pick up his 4th and then go ahead and pick up a stupid offensive foul for his 5th on the next possession.

Ohio State had 40 points, 13 rebounds and 3 steals tonight from Jared Sullinger. And they needed every bit of it, shaking off a pesky IUPUI 75-64. IUPUI actually led 50-41 with about 11 minutes left, but the Buckeyes seemed to wake up after their 9-day layoff, putting them away with a 34-14 run to close out the game.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Ohio State had 40 points, 13 rebounds and 3 steals tonight from Jared Sullinger. And they needed every bit of it, shaking off a pesky IUPUI 75-64. IUPUI actually led 50-41 with about 11 minutes left, but the Buckeyes seemed to wake up after their 9-day layoff, putting them away with a 34-14 run to close out the game.
    I'm running out of adjectives for Sullinger already. What a beast.

The best part for OSU fans is that if the NBA does have a lock out we might get 2 years of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    I'm running out of adjectives for Sullinger already. What a beast.

The best part for OSU fans is that if the NBA does have a lock out we might get 2 years of him.
    He's the most polished post player as a freshman I can remember, granting that I'm younger than some. Still, his hands isn't something that can be taught. His footwork can, but not with the efficiency he has. Just a tremendous post player and has a face-up game that Ohio State fans have yet to truly see (i.e., he'll hit jumpers if they allow him to).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't remember who it was, but someone on here thought it was ridiculous that I thought the Buckeyes would be better this year, even with losing Evan Turner. That's looking like a no brainer at this point.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I don't remember who it was, but someone on here thought it was ridiculous that I thought the Buckeyes would be better this year, even with losing Evan Turner. That's looking like a no brainer at this point.
    We'll see when they get into Big 10 play, but it is hard to argue that they are a more balanced team.

Ohio State ran Oakland out of the gym tonight 92-63 behind six double-figure scorers.

With the Big Ten looking kind of sluggish the last few weeks, the conference seems to run through Columbus for this year.

Without Irving Ohio st. Is as good as duke, possibly better. Iu played decent in the second half but it didn't matter.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Without Irving Ohio st. Is as good as duke, possibly better. Iu played decent in the second half but it didn't matter.
    Yeah with respect to Kansas, it's hard not to put Duke & OSU slightly ahead of KU right now. I'd say OSU is 1 and Duke 2, though with Irving, maybe I'd say Duke 1A and Ohio State 1B.

Either way, I think Ohio State is really hard to defend. You can't zone them because of their ball movement and shooting. You can't go man because Sullinger is too good on the block. You can't double down on him because OSU spreads the floor so well and he's a good passer, so he'll just throw it back outside for an open shot.

There's not a good way to defend them. Perhaps you could try pressing and speeding up the tempo, but they've got good long athletes to break the press and get easy buckets. I don't envy opposing coaches right now.

I love this OSU team, but they are very untested (outside of a mediocre Florida team). I'll be interested to see how they perform against a pretty tough Big Ten schedule.

My favorite part of watching them is hoping that Buford starts taking ridiculous shots. He is the John Salmons/Jamal Crawford of the Buckeyes. Very entertaining stuff.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Playing Meechigan right now and up 1 at the half. Not watching the game, but UM started off hitting 5 of their first 6 shots and cooled off a bit.

Good foul shooting down the stretch. OSU played a solid game. Michigan won the battle with Sullinger as he had an ugly game due to sagging zone, but lost the game. Since the point is winning the game...
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Ohio State should move up to number 1 as Duke just lost to Florida State.

Turn Off Ads?