Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas time...

Christmas time...

I need some good gift ideas for my wife. I have a few good ideas, but they are a bit expensive...

Ipad..... $499
    Ipod touch.... $229 (for 8 gb)

Then, I thought about maybe a lap top for school (resuming college starting Jan.). We have one already, but this way we could have a computer at home while she is in class. She is really big on the touch screen stuff, so I was thinking a touch screen lab top would be perfect. Too bad the cheapest one i've found is like $350-400. Most being $1,000+

Any ideas? I guess I could buy a cheap computer for home and let her use my lap top. Or try
    to find a cheap mini w/o touch screen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Christmas time...

What is your budget?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quit being practical.

You can never go wrong with diamonds or pearls. Or gold.

She'll tell you its too extravagant, she'll tell you she doesn't need them, she'll tell you its too much money and we need to spend it on something else, but she'll melt into a puddle and love you for it and she'll wear them all the time.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Hoping to keep it under 200.

XBox 360

Retired

You aren't going to get much in the way of a laptop for under $200. With your options, I would probably go with the iPod Touch.

Yeah, prob going to need to open up the budget...

Surprisingly, I got a nice Acer laptop from Big Lots.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Something practical.

Something to pamper her.

And, something sentimental.

Unless she's like my wife, she's probably dropped some hints about what she wants. Try suprising her with some gifts she wouldn't buy for herself. You can buy a heck of a lot of presents for $200.00.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Quit being practical.

You can never go wrong with diamonds or pearls. Or gold.
    I agree about not being practical. It could be something as simple as her favorite movie that she's always wanted but wouldn't spend the money on herself. I picked up a copy of Cool Hand Luke off of E-Bay for under $6.00 with shipping for my wifes birthday a couple of weeks ago. She loved it and didn't care that it was used. I got another hug, a cup of coffee, and her telling me how wonderful I am this morning for that gift. It's the small thoughtful gifts that show your really listening to her that she will remember.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Trampoline. I'm a horrible gift giver. You have been warned.

I'd say that if you have a good idea of her sizes and fashion sense, get her some clothes and/or jewelry. Most women love clothes (but not necessarily sexy lingerie, which ends up looking more like a gift for you). If you don't feel comfortable buying clothes for her, try asking one of her good friends or family members to go with you. They might tell you what stores she prefers for buying clothes. Sometimes women have a favorite store where you could buy just about anything there and not go wrong, as long as it's her size. They might also be able to stop you from making a bad purchase. Of course, even if she doesn't like it, she'll appreciate the effort and, assuming you saved the gift receipt, she'll be able to exchange it for something she likes. Don't make the mistake of just getting her a gift card unless she expressly asks for one. It looks like you're not putting in the effort. Things like handbags are trickier, so unless she really wants a Coach bag and you just happen to live near an outlet mall with a Coach store, I'd avoid handbags.

I'd say that unless she has hinted that she really wants a particular electronic device, don't get it. I've found that when I buy that kind of stuff for my wife, even when she hints about it, it usually ends up getting used for a few months and then sitting on a shelf until my kids or I decide to commandeer it for our own use.

That's my experience of 10 years of gift giving for a particular woman. Result may vary.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I'm going the engagement ring route. It's time.

Probably belongs in another thread, but thats my idea for Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm going the engagement ring route. It's time.

Probably belongs in another thread, but thats my idea for Christmas.
    Oh God, get this man an intervention PRE-XMAS gift.

Turn Off Ads?