Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good of a pro do you think Cam Newton will be?

How good of a pro do you think Cam Newton will be?

It seems like he can make every single throw you need to play in the NFL. He is obviously supremely athletic and can move around and run like a RB.

Where would you put him on your draft board right now and what is his ceiling in the NFL?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How good of a pro do you think Cam Newton will be?

Definitely top 10, but I still think Luck will be a better pro. Definitely not as athletic as Newton, but Luck can really whip the ball in to some small places.

Right now I think a bigger Mcnabb or a more athletic Roethlisberger. But, he could also turn out to be JaMarcus Russell.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I see nothing that makes me think he'll be a good pro. Long delivery, spread system, run first guy, and serious, SERIOUS character issues. In no way would I want him as the future of my NFL team (granted I don't "have" an NFL team).

He's Tim Tebow + a better runner - the character. Outstanding college player. Not someone I would invest in if I were an NFL team. Vince Young is his closest comparable NFL QB type, and I honestly think that's his ceiling. Unless your name is Michael Vick, you have be a pocket passer in the NFL. He's just not.

Would I want him quarterbacking my college team? Despite the fact that all of these Auburn victories are going to be taken away, yes, I would.

You mean after he graduates?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I see nothing that makes me think he'll be a good pro. Long delivery, spread system, run first guy, and serious, SERIOUS character issues. In no way would I want him as the future of my NFL team (granted I don't "have" an NFL team).

He's Tim Tebow + a better runner - the character. Outstanding college player. Not someone I would invest in if I were an NFL team. Vince Young is his closest comparable NFL QB type, and I honestly think that's his ceiling. Unless your name is Michael Vick, you have be a pocket passer in the NFL. He's just not.

Would I want him quarterbacking my college team? Despite the fact that all of these Auburn victories are going to be taken away, yes, I would.
    Cam has played 10 high level games in college. Thats it. If he goes pro he will have one season in his books at Auburn along with a lot of character issues. The person I most see him akin to is Vince Young. Nice NFL QB but someone who I don't ever think will be a true top 10 type QB. The NFL is about making reads and throwing the ball from the pocket. There have been very few current day QB's who have made a living running all around the pocket. Steve Young is the only guy who has put together a great career being a running QB. Even a guy like Mike Vick has made strides this season staying in pocket more.

Newton should be a first round QB. But if I were drafting I would look to Luck, Mallet, and Locker first. All have their warts, but give me a guy who I don't have pocket concerns about.

One final thing about Newton. He looks like a man amongst boys on the field in college. That won't be the case in the NFL.

I'd draft him over Mallett, but I wouldn't go near Mallett with a 10 foot pole. He's got Ryan Leaf written all over him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'd be happy if he ended up a Bengal, for whatever that's worth. I think he'll be solid.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I look at Cam Newton much the way I see Terrelle Pryor. I don't see him as a completed prospect, and he will need to be completely rebuilt by whatever team takes him.

Physically they have similar tools, Newton probably has a better arm.

I would be very upset if a team that I was a fan of took either player above the third round.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

From having watched both, I think Newton is a much better prospect to be a good NFL QB than Pryor.

I see a ceiling closer to McNair than Young. Will he reach it, who knows, but from interviews he actually seems fairly bright (despite his other 'issues') and the between the ears stuff is pretty much the most important aspect of being a good NFL QB as long as you can make all the throws (which he can).

Would be very interested to see how he scores on that NFL intelligence aptitude test or whatever it's called... (as long as he doesn't steal someone else's score and try to turn it in as his own. Let me go ahead and knock that joke out.)
    Last edited by WMR; 11-14-2010 at 04:15 PM.

He'll be banged up a lot if the team that drafts him lets him run as much as he does in college.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    From having watched both, I think Newton is a much better prospect to be a good NFL QB than Pryor.
    Wait, Pryor's a NFL QB prospect?

Pryor still has a year of college to go, give him a chance.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Nah, I don't think Pryor will ever take a snap as a QB in the NFL unless he's running a Wildcat. Newton is a much better passer, but we haven't seen enough to know if he's a good decision maker or not.

We've learned pretty clearly now that running QBs just aren't going to work in the NFL except in he rarest of exceptions. Newton is really good, but there have been plenty of guys just as good in history of college football who had a similar game to him, and very few of them have done much of anything in the NFL. Will he be an exception? It's possible, but I don't think we've seen enough yet to know.

I know one thing, he's not ready now. He needs another full season to develop IN COLLEGE. It's looking like that's not likely to happen.

I don't see any resemblance at all to McNair other than they're both black. Even in college, McNair was all pass. He could scramble OK, but he wasn't any better than most QBs in that regard.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?