Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo! sports says Reds made waiver claim on Hisanori Takahasi on Nov. 10

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Yahoo! sports says Reds made waiver claim on Hisanori Takahasi on Nov. 10

Can't find it anywhere else though, including MLBTR, so I have my doubts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8688

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/cin/transactions

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yahoo! sports says Reds made waiver claim on Hisanori Takahasi on Nov. 10

That is a very nice pickup. Glad to see Walt isn't standing still and is bolstering an already solid pen.

CBS sports has it too.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/transactions

What does this mean? Do they have to sign him to a new contract? He was put on waivers by the Mets because he wanted a multi year deal at around $3-4 a year. I don't know how Japanese players contract status works.

Anyone know what the deal is?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Good move, assuming he doesn't cost too much. Nice swing man for the pen, or, perhaps, the successor for Rhodes? If so, it's an even better move, as I believe a larger market team will sign him for big bucks.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

I'm not sure about this one. Maybe Brutus can weigh in. So his contract says that he must be released and granted free agency if they couldn't agree on contract.

Mets waive him to give him FA but, he doesn't clear waivers, meaning his original contract is still in effect. So it would seem like Reds are now in same position.

Absolutely no information from the Reds on this deal. And how did he get by so many teams?
    Last edited by JaxRed; 11-14-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I don't know how Japanese players contract status works.
    The second he signs an MLB contract he is no longer a "Japanese" player. He is bound by the same rules as any other player domestic or international.

I read somewhere that under unconditional release waivers the player can refuse the claim and become a free agent. But still many questions -- how much time does the player get to make that decision? It appears, at least for now, that the Reds still control him.

I think this would be an excellent pickup. Takahasi has shown he can spot-start, set up or close. That kind of versatility is very rare. And as a LH he would provide even more balance. Even though he's in his mid-30s, I'd give him 3 years at a few million per year. Sounds like the Phillies would be interested, if he escapes the Reds' clutches.

Plus, it would be cool to have a Japanese player on the team, no?
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 11-14-2010 at 10:55 AM.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

It's almost a no-lose proposition though. If the Reds claim him but can't agree on a deal, just release him.

That assumes they did not have to clear a roster spot to claim him and won't lose anybody due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm not sure about this one. Maybe Brutus can weigh in. So his contract says that he must be released and granted free agency if they couldn't agree on contract.

Mets waive him to give him FA but, he doesn't clear waivers, meaning his original contract is still in effect. So it would seem like Reds are now in same position.

Absolutely no information from the Reds on this deal. And how did he get by so many teams?

I'm not saying it's a bad deal. Quite he opposite. Just a strange deal. Why haven't the Reds said anything? How did he get past so many teams? Has he ever tasted Cincinnati chili? Do the Reds have to release him if they can't do a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Has he ever tasted Cincinnati chili?
    I think this is the most important question.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

This certainluy provides the Reds some options. Keep Takahashi and let Rhodes go. Sign Rhodes and waive Takahashi. Keep both and make Bray available in a deal. It provides an option that didn't exist before since there really aren't any relief lefties who are ready. It may also signal Chapman in the rotation at AAA as opposed to the big league pen.

Like the move alot.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I read somewhere that under unconditional release waivers the player can refuse the claim and become a free agent. But still many questions -- how much time does the player get to make that decision? It appears, at least for now, that the Reds still control him.

I think this would be an excellent pickup. Takahasi has shown he can spot-start, set up or close. That kind of versatility is very rare. And as a LH he would provide even more balance. Even though he's in his mid-30s, I'd give him 3 years at a few million per year. Sounds like the Phillies would be interested, if he escapes the Reds' clutches.

Plus, it would be cool to have a Japanese player on the team, no?
    Basically Takahasi is a free agent. The Reds don't really control him.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Basically Takahasi is a free agent. The Reds don't really control him.
    Is the point of making the claim a chance to make him an offer before other teams get a chance, or even just to show interest? Unless a player already has a contract that is acceptable to both him and the claiming team, I'm not sure what the purpose of a claim off unconditional release waivers would be.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

This is from Cots

Unconditional Release Waivers
    A club that wishes to release a player places him on unconditional release waivers. He then may be claimed for $1, but the player has five days to choose whether to accept it or refuse the claim and become a free agent. If the player rejects the claim, he become a free agent and forfeits the remaining money due on his contract. If the player accepts the claim, the new team pays him under the contract he signed with his former team. If no team claims the player, he becomes a free agent.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Is the point of making the claim a chance to make him an offer before other teams get a chance, or even just to show interest? Unless a player already has a contract that is acceptable to both him and the claiming team, I'm not sure what the purpose of a claim off unconditional release waivers would be.
    In this instance, it gave the Reds exclusive negotiation rights for a short window so if they're interested, it makes perfect sense. However, given what he was asking from NY, it doesn't seem likely to me that the Reds would be able to convince him to forgo free agency. But you never know.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?