Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 UC Basketball official thread

Re: 2010/2011 UC Basketball official thread

Nice win last night in the Big East opener for the 'Cats. I understand a home win over the Blue Demons doesn't mean they're going to the tournament but why the silence around here? Isn't there enough success to at least talk about it? Maybe it's the fact that a lot of these games aren't on TV so nobody sees the game. I'll be at the game on New Years Eve before I head off to a party. I'm curious as to how far this team will go this year. Not only has their schedule been soft, they've had almost all their games at home.

They pretty well blew out DePaul last night. They jumped ahead by 20 some points in the first half and costed to an easy win

If nothing else, we fans have more to follow in the Bearcats this year

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Nice win last night in the Big East opener for the 'Cats. I understand a home win over the Blue Demons doesn't mean they're going to the tournament but why the silence around here? Isn't there enough success to at least talk about it? Maybe it's the fact that a lot of these games aren't on TV so nobody sees the game. I'll be at the game on New Years Eve before I head off to a party. I'm curious as to how far this team will go this year. Not only has their schedule been soft, they've had almost all their games at home.
    I think the lack of TV is one of the biggest reasons for the current state of apathy, aside from the fact that the team hasn't been good in awhile. It's just really hard to find a game on TV. In the heydey of the Huggins era you could consistently find the games on channel 19 in Cincinnati and could count on a few nationally televised games. This season half of the games haven't been televised and those that have been televised are on stations that fewer people to which have access. It's tough to build excitement if people can't see the team perform.

That said I'm encouraged by the DePaul game and for that matter the season as a whole. Its tough to determine how good this team actually is but they seem to be playing better as a team than they have in years past and seem to be regaining some of the Bearcat swagger. I'll be interested to see how they fare against the upper echelon Big East teams.

I think the game tomorrow vs SH is on ESPN2 at 8pm.

UC beats Seton Hall 70-53.

14-0 and 2-0 in the League.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

I didn't realize how weak UC's schedule really was until I pulled it up and saw only one top 100 RPI win (Dayton). But as has been pointed out, they're still winning at a time when other teams are getting upset by weak competition.

The stretch after the Xavier game should be very telling about where this team stands.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It's pretty interesting -- there's absolutely zero buzz about this team around town.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It's pretty interesting -- there's absolutely zero buzz about this team around town.
    I would think it will heat up quickly.

I must admit, I am one of those ..... I won't say a doubter ... but someone who is waiting to see what they do against good competition.

Being undefeated is a great thing, but its been difficult to gauge how good this team really is. The DePaul win was good (especially after seeing the scare they threw at UConn) and the Seton Hall win is even better. They really ought to pop into the top 25 this week. A Big East win is a Big East win, I don't care who the competition is.

The thing I've been the most impressed with is their defense and team play. Its a 180 degree turnaround from last year's 2 guys go one-on-one and fundementally unsound team.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I just want to see them play someone of quality. Even Seton Hall was without their best player. I think they have to go at least 11-7 in conference to make the tournament, because their schedule has been so weak to this point.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I just want to see them play someone of quality. Even Seton Hall was without their best player. I think they have to go at least 11-7 in conference to make the tournament, because their schedule has been so weak to this point.
    UC fans should be rooting very hard for the Flyers throughout the year because that could end up being a pretty quality win if they win the a-10. Temple will probably win though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    And rightfully so. This is the type of schedule Mick should have played in his first season as a HC. For a Big East program with NCAA aspirations its an absolute joke of a schedule. They should have realized their Big East schedule starts off soft and play a few better teams early on. Even X is down this season and probably won't give them much help.

I really don't understand all the fuss about the non conference schedule. UC has been the victim of schools not playing as well as you would have thought when the schedule was made, as well as a victim of ESPN. UC was originally scheduled to play Duke, but ESPN took that away so they could have a Duke vs. Butler rematch. UC was then slated to play Oklahoma who has lost quite a few players early to the NBA. Dayton is a decent opponent and is currently 12-3. Sure they haven't played anyone, but Dayton really isn't given enough credit because they were blown out by UC. Xavier is down this year, and Miami is always a tough place to play no matter how their record indicates.

Sure, none of this comes into consideration when it comes to selecting them, but it isn't a schedule Mick sought to play this season. UC also has some very serious financial restraints when it comes to scheduling. These schedules are usually mostly set at least a couple years in advance.

All that said, UC is still undefeated. They have beaten their non-conference foes by an average of 21 points. Beating Seton Hall was tought than it looked also. I'd even be willing to bet Seton Hall upsets a couple teams this year even without Hazell. There should be buzz around this team right now because they are 14-0. There is absolutely no excuse for fans not to be excited about the Bearcats IMO. If you are really a fan of the team, you should feel pretty good. There will be skeptics, and rightfully so, but they are mostly outsiders. Fans by nature should support the team and be excited when they do well. They aren't going to stay undefeated, but they will have a solid year. I'm absolutely giddy right now over how the season has gone.

Retired

They are ranked now.

8 of the top 25 teams are from the Big East. Going to be a tough conference schedule when half your conference is ranked in the top 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    They are ranked now.

8 of the top 25 teams are from the Big East. Going to be a tough conference schedule when half your conference is ranked in the top 25.
    Nice to be ranked but RPI of 65 ain't so good

Big East still has 8 teams in the top 17 for RPI, UC just isn't one of them. It's the number 1 conference overall.

Dear ESPN,

Don't take away UC's game with Duke and then cry that they don't play anyone out of conference.

Thanks,
    paint
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?