Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 UC Basketball official thread

Re: 2010/2011 UC Basketball official thread

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    You might want to play someone decent before you make this proclamation.
    Anyone who is watching the games realizes that the Bearcats are playing like the old Bearcats and everyone knows teams that play hard and play with good energy will be solid and most likely make the tournament. Schedule has nothing to do with how hard this Bearcats team is playing and how solid they look.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    7-0 against inferior competition. But still, I really like what I'm seeing out of the freshmen and on the defense end of the court.

I do wish UC would have scheduled at least one more quality non-conference opponent this year since that plays heavily to the committee.
    They will have 9-14 chances to get quality wins once Big East play starts. A lot more chances than teams from other conferences get. Having a tough non-conference schedule isn't a big deal for Big East teams. I'm not too concerned with the schedule. Also, when the games were scheduled Xavier was looking like tough tournament team and Dayton was supposed to be pretty dang good since they returned most of their talent from the NIT champion team.

Maybe one of the top 3 biggest tests of the year tonight as Utah Valley State invades the Shoe. 8:00 PM. I'll be there to see if the Cats can pull it out!
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    They do hustle and play with swagger. No doubt about that. And UC's three biggest non conference games are Dayton, Oklahoma and Xavier and they are all having really down years so far so that hurts. But I'll take the wins honestly. Plenty of opportunities to get quality wins in league play.
    That's just pathetic, IMO. Dayton and Oklahoma are two miserable/terrible/horrific teams.

There isn't one thing that can be learned from this non conference schedule. UC will have to win at least 10 conference games to get in with that schedule.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Anyone who is watching the games realizes that the Bearcats are playing like the old Bearcats and everyone knows teams that play hard and play with good energy will be solid and most likely make the tournament. Schedule has nothing to do with how hard this Bearcats team is playing and how solid they look.
    This team won't make the tournament. I'll make a friendly wager on that, if you want. The teams they've played thus far are a combined 25-37. None of these teams are going to be in the NCAA Tournament, outside of one of them pulling off a big upset in their conference tournament.

It's true there are chances for big wins in the Big East, but there's also the chance for a ton of losses.

Now, I'll say this: I like their passing. They have a lot of guys that move the ball around well. As a team, they're assisting on over 2/3 of their made field goals, which is excellent. And this team plays solid defense. I think Kilpatrick & Dixon are solid players, with Yancy improving a lot this year.

Problem is, they simply don't have the kind of scoring and firepower to beat the better teams. I just don't see it. They're better, but they're not an NCAA Tournament team.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    This team won't make the tournament. I'll make a friendly wager on that, if you want. The teams they've played thus far are a combined 25-37. None of these teams are going to be in the NCAA Tournament, outside of one of them pulling off a big upset in their conference tournament.

It's true there are chances for big wins in the Big East, but there's also the chance for a ton of losses.

Now, I'll say this: I like their passing. They have a lot of guys that move the ball around well. As a team, they're assisting on over 2/3 of their made field goals, which is excellent. And this team plays solid defense. I think Kilpatrick & Dixon are solid players, with Yancy improving a lot this year.

Problem is, they simply don't have the kind of scoring and firepower to beat the better teams. I just don't see it. They're better, but they're not an NCAA Tournament team.
    Alright, I'll make a friendly wager. I just think the easy schedule is a benefit to a team like this..to build confidence and to not get worn out before Big East play. They confidence and teamwork is something I haven't seen with any Cronin team before and I love it.

Alright, I'll make a friendly wager. I just think the easy schedule is a benefit to a team like this..to build confidence and to not get worn out before Big East play. They confidence and teamwork is something I haven't seen with any Cronin team before and I love it.
    Perhaps some sort of signature bet for a week?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

70-47 with 12:28 left, 3 turnovers for the Bearcats on an impressive scoring evening. I'm excited to see us play X and Big East boys.

Well there is a good chance they start out 15-0. Need at least 10 wins in Big East play. They do get to play Depaul Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Perhaps some sort of signature bet for a week?
    How about if I lose mine says something about how sweet ohio state is (which they aren't) and if you lose yours says something about how sweet UC is

I wasn't home for the game, so I DVR'd it and just finished watching it. I can't say the Bearcats have proven anything yet, but they just feel like a much different team this year. Sure, the competition has been pitiful, but in the past I feel like the Bearcats would've just played well enough to win by 10 against some of the same competition.

There is a lot to like about this team. They score in many different ways and all players are involved. Their half court defense can eat you up and they can press with a lot of intensity. Granted, things will change as they get into Big East play, but this team has a lot of confidence. I really started to see that in the Dayton game and it has really grown ever since. Some call it swagger, but I don't think you can call it that until they show it against tougher competition. Right now its just confidence.

Individually, Gates seems to finally put effort into all phases of the game and Bishop has been rock solid. Wright is looking like an actual PG and Dixon is stroking the ball. Also, is it just me, or is Justin Jackson becoming one of the most enjoyable players to watch at UC in what seems like a long time. He may not score 20 points, but he brings energy to the floor that is quite refreshing. Wilks can bring that same energy, but at times just runs around like a chicken with its head cut off. Both are very good passers IMO, and really the team as a whole distributes the ball very well.

I'm very optimistic to say the least, but I'm not saying the Bearcats are going to finish in the top 5 of the BE. I think you will see a very solid 20+ win season with an at large selection to the NCAA tournament. They've been close the last two seasons, I think this is the year the get over the hump and back into the tourney.

Next up, Oklahoma who isn't as strong as the Bearcats would have thought when they scheduled the game. It will still be a decent test as it is in Oklahoma City meaning it will be pretty much the same as a road game though it is at a "neutral site." Although it will not be the end all be all argument for how good UC really is, it will help gauge the team a little more. The true answer will come in the BE, and I personally don't care about rankings or anyone who doesn't think UC is a good team yet. I can't blame them. Even I have questions.

I'm suprised there is so little intrest in the Bearcats still. I know they aren't going to be the talk of the town yet, but you'd think more fans would be excited about being 10-0 even with the competition they've played. Yesterday was a pretty good test for the Cats IMO. They played pretty poorly for most of the game, and were also on the road (for all intents and purposes). Oklahoma isn't going to set the world on fire this year, but they aren't going to just roll over either. It was by far the worst game as far as offensive execution that they've played this year and they were still able to win. Last year, the Cats lose that game IMO.

UC isn't going to be a threat for the National Title this year, or the BE title. They are however a much better team than last year's version, however. These small tests are the only thing UC fans have to try and measure UC with for a little while, and Miami could be a tough game. None of them are telling us much more that UC isn't losing games they should win so far, and that is a good first step.

Well there is a good chance they start out 15-0. Need at least 10 wins in Big East play. They do get to play Depaul Twice.
    If they start out 15-0 I think they'll be fine with 8-9 wins as well.

If they start out 15-0 I think they'll be fine with 8-9 wins as well.
    If they go 8-10 in the Big East they would be 21-10 going to New York for the Big East Tournament. With there out of conference schedule I really don't think that will get them in the NCAA Tournament unless they win 2-3 games in New York then they would probably be squarely on the bubble. Now, if they win 9 or more Big East games I think they'll be fine.

*Do not underestimate the NCAA Tournament expanding by 3 teams this year, if UC goes 9-9 in Big East play they could easily be one of those 3 teams that sneak in this year that would of barely missed in years past. I'm excited to see what happens. Go Cats!

If they go 8-10 in the Big East they would be 21-10 going to New York for the Big East Tournament. With there out of conference schedule I really don't think that will get them in the NCAA Tournament unless they win 2-3 games in New York then they would probably be squarely on the bubble. Now, if they win 9 or more Big East games I think they'll be fine.

*Do not underestimate the NCAA Tournament expanding by 3 teams this year, if UC goes 9-9 in Big East play they could easily be one of those 3 teams that sneak in this year that would of barely missed in years past. I'm excited to see what happens. Go Cats!
    I had a brain fart and didn't realize 15-0 was not all ooc opponents but it included seton hall and depaul . UC needs 23 wins IMO, so when I said 8 I meant 15+8...so I suppose you are spot on with 10 Big East wins.

Turn Off Ads?