Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 UC Basketball official thread

Re: 2011/2012 UC Basketball official thread

Gates can't be on the team anymore after what Mick just said.
    Agree with this- that punch ought to be the last thing he does on a court in a UC uni.

Wow, embarrassing is all I can say. Just an awful show by both teams to let themselves get out of control like that.

At least Cronin said things that need to be said and I hope now he's able to follow up. XU never should have made those kids available for a press conference; they said some remarkably stupid things. I hope there is pressure on them to make a serious move to address this, especially since they have always insinuated that they somehow have more class than UC. Clearly not that case, from what I saw.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The way that we can say "The brawl doesn't happen if _____ doesn't do 'insert stupid action here'" and all be right says all we need to know about this ordeal.

Everyone involved shares a blame in this thing. It could have been prevented in a lot of ways, and it happened because of a lot of different people either acting like children or not doing their job. It sucks that the shootout has came to this, I liked it better when it was all about the basketball game.

I've got no UC or XU dog in this hunt but I think both schools need to make a harsh and swift statement to make sure this never happens again.

I think several XU and UC players should be in street clothes for a while. Holloway, Gates, Wells, whoever stomped on Freese, and whoever shoved his hand in Holloway's face for starters. I'd give 'em all 10-15 games off to think about all this. Plus public apologies.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I've got no UC or XU dog in this hunt but I think both schools need to make a harsh and swift statement to make sure this never happens again.

I think several XU and UC players should be in street clothes for a while. Holloway, Gates, Wells, whoever stomped on Freese, and whoever shoved his hand in Holloway's face for starters. I'd give 'em all 10-15 games off to think about all this. Plus public apologies.
    10-15 for Holloway? For trash talking? For making a stupid statement at a press conference? Please. I'm all for Gates, Wells and Mbodj getting drilled. They were all ejected and rightly so. Gates is getting the worst rap and deserves to sit for a long time but I think Mbodj is worse because he 1)put his hand in Holloway's face 2)stomped on Kenny and 3)charged Redford who was twenty feet from the melee. That is really, really bad. Holloway is guilty of nothing more than running his yap and if you watch the brawl he is standing out of it most of the time with one of the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    10-15 for Holloway? For trash talking? For making a stupid statement at a press conference? Please. I'm all for Gates, Wells and Mbodj getting drilled. They were all ejected and rightly so. Gates is getting the worst rap and deserves to sit for a long time but I think Mbodj is worse because he 1)put his hand in Holloway's face 2)stomped on Kenny and 3)charged Redford who was twenty feet from the melee. That is really, really bad. Holloway is guilty of nothing more than running his yap and if you watch the brawl he is standing out of it most of the time with one of the refs.
    Yep, I would. He was the catalyst. Sure things were volatile, but if he hadn't done what he did, the game would have ended with a lot of rumbling and muttering but that's all. He felt like he needed to prove he was a man or some such nonsense. When you've drilled a team, you don't run past their bench with time running out and run your mouth wholesale.

That has no place in college basketball. Period. No room at all.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I don't really care either way with X and UC, but I definitely think the hammer is going to come down harder on UC. Wells should get a pretty long suspension. Lyons should too, although he didn't really get involved until somebody started launching haymakers at him. But it looked like the majority of punches being thrown came from UC. It's going to be interesting what comes down in the next few days, but it's too bad that the refs allowed it to get as ugly as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yep, I would. He was the catalyst. Sure things were volatile, but if he hadn't done what he did, the game would have ended with a lot of rumbling and muttering but that's all. He felt like he needed to prove he was a man or some such nonsense. When you've drilled a team, you don't run past their bench with time running out and run your mouth wholesale.

That has no place in college basketball. Period. No room at all.
    If you've ever sat behind a bench at a D-1 game then you realize you are advocating suspending pretty much every player at every program.

Edit: I agree that the talking is unneeded and fuels the fire. But I also hate how XU is getting lambasted by the national media for talking while no one seems to want to discuss that UC gave a whole lot more than they got in the brawl. Apparently words are worse than punches.
    Last edited by reds1869; 12-11-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Neither Yancy Gates nor Cheikh Mbodj should be allowed to ever wear a Bearcats uniform again, their behavior was absolutely unacceptable and is downright embarrassing.

That said with the way that this rivalry has been going, something like this was bound to happen. There has been way too much trash talking and chippy play for years, from both sides, and the referees and coaches should have done more to try to cool things down. It's sad it had to come to this because as a fan / alum this was one of the games that I always looked forward to and I think there is a very real possibility that this game ends up taking a hiatus for awhile.

And as an aside, I'm not sure that Chris Mack could have handled this any more poorly. Allowing his players to show up to the press conference and be let back on the court to celebrate after the fracas showed a bad lack of judgment. I can guarantee that if ANY player in UC history would have give the kind of responses that Holloway or Lyons gave or started cursing at women in the stands like Kenny Frease they would have been branded thugs, but I suppose since they go to a private, Jesuit university such tags need not apply.

http://www.fox19.com/category/195974...clipId=6537179

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I can guarantee that if ANY player in UC history would have give the kind of responses that Holloway or Lyons gave or started cursing at women in the stands like Kenny Frease they would have been branded thugs, but I suppose since they go to a private, Jesuit university such tags need not apply.
    You need to come check out the chatter on the Xavier message boards. We as a fan base are really, really unhappy with our own team and staff. They did not behave in the way XU expects their players to behave. We realize how big a part they had in the incident. The self-imposed punishment is likely to be harsher than the rules require. The irritation from our side is that the media narrative is so one sided. You would think that St. Yancy and Fr. Mick were abused by Tu Capone and his gang of cold hearted killers. The outrage is more over Holloway's words and not the physical violence. Well, that is fine but if we are going to get upset about words lets point some fingers at Kilpatrick, too.

You need to come check out the chatter on the Xavier message boards. We as a fan base are really, really unhappy with our own team and staff. They did not behave in the way XU expects their players to behave. We realize how big a part they had in the incident. The self-imposed punishment is likely to be harsher than the rules require. The irritation from our side is that the media narrative is so one sided. You would think that St. Yancy and Fr. Mick were abused by Tu Capone and his gang of cold hearted killers. The outrage is more over Holloway's words and not the physical violence. Well, that is fine but if we are going to get upset about words lets point some fingers at Kilpatrick, too.
    Re-read my post. I stated off the top that Yancy and Cheikh should both be kicked off the team... Nobody is claiming either are victims here.

UC just announced their suspensions: 6 games for Gates, Ellis and Mbodj. 1 game for Guyn.

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-b...121111aaa.html

My guess on Xavier's side is that Wells misses four (which would keep him home from Hawaii), Lyons 2 and Tu 1. There was also a walk-on involved who could get a Gates type suspension.

I also would not be shocked if Mack misses a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    My guess on Xavier's side is that Wells misses four (which would keep him home from Hawaii), Lyons 2 and Tu 1. There was also a walk-on involved who could get a Gates type suspension.

I also would not be shocked if Mack misses a game.
    I think that is about right. I also think Redford should get one for running from Mbodj.

UC just announced their suspensions: 6 games for Gates, Ellis and Mbodj. 1 game for Guyn.

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-b...121111aaa.html
    I was expecting much more for Gates.

Shut down both programs.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?