Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 UC Basketball official thread

Re: 2010/2011 UC Basketball official thread

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    I don't see why he can't be in with Bishop.

I haven't watched all of UC's games so you might be right about his defense but against UL he looked pretty competent on defense. I also think Justin Jackson gives UC better minutes than Darnell Wilks.
    I agree, but Dixon was hot in the first half. That is why I wasn't to worried about SK's minutes in the first half. He gets lost on defense too often. I rarely watch the games, but I listen to nearly all of them. Chuck Machock is typically groaning about Kilpatrick on defense.

I agree 100% on Justin Jackson versus Darnell Wilks. Wilks strikes me as a player getting minutes at this point in the season, only because he is a senior.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As an aside, I've been really impressed by the minutes that the Bearcats have gotten from Kilpatrick and Justin Jackson this season.

While it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, SK has provided the kind of production that I was hoping the Cats would get from Lance Stephenson last season. After watching Lance last season and SK this season, I'd swear that SK was the blue chip recruit. He's such a great scorer and as time goes on I think he'll become a much more competent defender. I think he really has the potential to go down as one of the all time great Bearcats.

In regards to this season, I think if UC is able to win one of the final four games and win in the first round of the Big East tournament that they'll pretty much be a lock for the tournament. Their OOC SoS is atrocious but they've got quality wins over Xavier, Louisville and St. Johns and no bad losses, which is more than I can say for some of the current bubble teams. If they could somehow manage to get a win over Georgetown or UConn, I think they'd be a lock regardless to what happens in the BE tournament.

Bearcats up by 14 with 9 1/2 minutes to go at #11 Georgetown.
    4:52 to play 'Cats up by 13. Georgetown has scored six points in the second half so far.
    1:45 UC leading 51-42. Gates with 16 and 9 tonight.
    Last edited by texasdave; 02-23-2011 at 10:54 PM.

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Good win for Cincinnati. I didn't think they'd have it in them, but back-to-back wins against Louisville and Georgetown and still have avoided any bad losses. They're in great shape now, but have to keep focus for seeding.

Yancy Gates definitely stepped up big this evening. I'm still uncertain of Cincinnati's ability to score consistently, but they are playing really inspired defensively.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Someone is going dancing this year. Yes!

One helluva defensive effort for 40 minutes. Just awesome stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    One helluva defensive effort for 40 minutes. Just awesome stuff.
    Nice game plan by Cronin also. Georgetown struggled against that zone and press.

I was really impressed with the effort tonight, they played hard for 40 minutes and certainly looked liked like the more motivated team. It's particularly nice to see to see Yancy playing hard because his inconsistent motor is really the only thing keeping him from being a dominant player.

IMHO, they're in after tonight's win. If they're able to take care of business against Marquette and get a win or two in the BE tournament they should be sitting pretty come selection Sunday.

Oh by the way, UC will finish above .500 in the Big East.

Edit: check that, this was win #9 and not win #10. I got a little ahead of myself.
    Last edited by paintmered; 02-23-2011 at 11:50 PM.

jredmo2

Great gameplan by Mick. This team really smells blood on defense; it seems like they really respond to scouting report gameplanning. Tonight and against Louisville they were very impressive defensively. Now let's eliminate those 3-5 worthless offensive possessions per game and make some FTs. Then UC is really dangerous.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Kudos to Mick

- For handling Yancy Gates, and pushing whatever buttons he pushed

- For leading this team to 3 in a row, 2 on the road, and 2 against the top 20 after most, including myself, left them for dead after the St. John's disaster.

- For leading this team to it's first win on the road against a ranked team in 7 years (who also happened to be the #2 FG % team in the country and #5 in the RPI), by double digits.

- For leading this team to what looks like it's first NCAA Tournament appearance since Huggins' last year (even though Kennedy got screwed in his only year).

Don't let up, Cats...with 3 games left, there is still opportunity to turn more heads, and improve that resume. As it stands now, they will have a FIRST ROUND BYE in the Big East Tournament!
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 02-24-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Biggest win in six years! I gave UC virtually no chance to win last night, but they went out and played one heck of a defensive game, forced some turnovers and allowed their defense to get them several easy offensive buckets.

I have to give Cronin credit for getting this team back on track the last three gamse too. The home loss to St. John's looked at the time like it could have been the beginning of the bad slide, but the impressive win against Louisville, hanging on to beat Providence and now handling Georgetown on the road have the Cats looking great for Selection Sunday.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Picture this if you will. UC plays one heck of a basketball game. They have Georgetown on the ropes and decides to kill the clock with about 6 minutes left. The strategy is working because UC's D and Georgetown's O just isn't working. GT goes on a little run to cut a 12 point lead to 8, UC has the ball and the shot clock is running down. Then my least favorite UC player since Field Williams, Rashad Bishop decides with 6 seconds on the shot clock to pull the ball out to around mid court. Instead of attacking from the top of the key he pulls the ball out! He dribbles around the arc and throws up a beyond NBA range 3 and banks it in! I almost fell out of my rocker on that possession. It was the nail in the coffin and probably the shot that secured UC's NCAA dreams.

I give Mick credit because he coached a great game. The zone (I hate zones) was effective and the press was top notch. The zone did effect the rebounding but that is to be understood. I did find it comical that on an inbound pass when Wright in bounded it to the open man, Justin Jackson, Mick called Wright over and yelled at him. First of all Mick it was a dead ball situation so you should have removed Jackson. Then you could have inserted him on the foul to put his defense and energy in the game. Don't yell at Wright when it was a coaching error.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Picture this if you will. UC plays one heck of a basketball game. They have Georgetown on the ropes and decides to kill the clock with about 6 minutes left. The strategy is working because UC's D and Georgetown's O just isn't working. GT goes on a little run to cut a 12 point lead to 8, UC has the ball and the shot clock is running down. Then my least favorite UC player since Field Williams, Rashad Bishop decides with 6 seconds on the shot clock to pull the ball out to around mid court. Instead of attacking from the top of the key he pulls the ball out! He dribbles around the arc and throws up a beyond NBA range 3 and banks it in! I almost fell out of my rocker on that possession. It was the nail in the coffin and probably the shot that secured UC's NCAA dreams.

I give Mick credit because he coached a great game. The zone (I hate zones) was effective and the press was top notch. The zone did effect the rebounding but that is to be understood. I did find it comical that on an inbound pass when Wright in bounded it to the open man, Justin Jackson, Mick called Wright over and yelled at him. First of all Mick it was a dead ball situation so you should have removed Jackson. Then you could have inserted him on the foul to put his defense and energy in the game. Don't yell at Wright when it was a coaching error.
    Might see some more zone tomorrow. Just curious, why do you not like Bishop? His defense has been incredible.

Turn Off Ads?