Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 UC Basketball official thread

On the brink of disaster

Re: 2010/2011 UC Basketball official thread

The problem with the press against ND earlier this season is that every one of their starting five can handle the ball. When UC implemented the press last time their big men just took the ball up the floor. It would seem that a zone press would be fine since UC's big men would just be responsible for staying back, but the fact that the press wasn't successful against ND earlier this season makes me wonder if they'll use it much here. I would personally consider using a 3/4 court press so you can still slow them down and trap around the half line, but you don't get caught out of position and allow easy buckets. One thing that UC has going for them is they have found an identity on offense that they were lacking earlier in the season.

It should be a good game, and I'm actually confident that they will play with intensity which was also inconsistent early in the season. I don't remember seeing a team mature so much during the course of the season, and they put everything together at the right time. I've got to give credit to Mick and the team for their hard work. It's really been a fun season to watch. It seems like it's been a long time since we've been able to have such a meaningful discussion about the Bearcats this late in the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Zone. Mick Zoned a similar Georgetown earlier this season. UC will need to guard late into the shot clock and rebound very will in order to beat ND.

Notre Dame wasn't messing around.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Expect a lot of the press into man to man. We didn't press much first time around, but it's coming tomorrow and it's coming in a big way IMO. ND thrives in the walk up the court then run your play offense, if we can disturb that (they don't really have an exceptional ball handler - but most are capable) and limit their offensive possessions to 25 seconds - maybe they'll take bad shots. We have to rebound, and we have to not fall behind by 20 like we did last time.

The tricky part is, they can respond well to pressure, and everyone on their team hits open threes. They are all experienced and can pass to the open man with no problem, so it's going to have to be a good press and we have to get back quickly.

I think the Cats win 67-62...I have a good feeling, we have a lot of confidence and I think the D steps up.
    UC will never beat an intelligent team that moves the ball. UC relies on beating physical teams with low basketball IQ.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Notre Dame plays offense like a mid-major -- bunch of guys who can't create their own shot all hustling without the basketball and making the extra pass to get the wide open look. Big difference, though, is that they make their open looks more often than not.

I keep waiting for them to have a night where everyone goes cold and the team shuts down without anyone other than Hansbrough who can create off the dribble, but it hasn't happened yet.

No worries. Rest up for the dance
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    UC will never beat an intelligent team that moves the ball. UC relies on beating physical teams with low basketball IQ.
    Losing to ND in such a dominant way was dissapointing, but this statement isn't even close to true. You don't get to 24-7 in regular season by just beating teams with a low basketball IQ. Sorry, thats just hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Notre Dame plays offense like a mid-major -- bunch of guys who can't create their own shot all hustling without the basketball and making the extra pass to get the wide open look. Big difference, though, is that they make their open looks more often than not.

I keep waiting for them to have a night where everyone goes cold and the team shuts down without anyone other than Hansbrough who can create off the dribble, but it hasn't happened yet.

No worries. Rest up for the dance
    I couldn't have said it better about ND. They are a very good team when they are able to dictate the style of play. You can't fall behind early to them. When UC fell behind by 10 early it allowed ND dictate the play of the game, shoot when they wanted to shoot, and make the extra pass to get open looks.

In order to beat ND you have get a lead and make ND press on offense. Take them out of their comfort level. Its why I don't see them making a deep run in the tournament because I don't think they can stay hot for 6 games in a row and think they will face some major problems if they don't make their shots. But I have said that all year long.

jredmo2

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Hmmmm.... "intelligent" teams like ND? As opposed to "physical teams with low basketball IQ."

YouTube - Announcer Code Words
    Last edited by jredmo2; 03-11-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    Hmmmm.... "intelligent" teams like ND? As opposed to "physical teams with low basketball IQ."

YouTube - Announcer Code Words
    I don't think UC was able to walk the line between aggressiveness and stupidity last night. If you are going to press at some point you have to be smart enough to know when it's not working. It was as if UC had no respect for Ben Hansborough since they were trying to hound him in the back-court and he would just blow by them which compromised everything defensively. How many wide open looks did they give up because somebody got broke down defensively and the rest of the team had to recover. That's basketball 101 and ND taught the class last night.

By trying to get really close and tight to the offensive player you make yourself more susceptible to picking up fouls and you make that player considerably quicker IMO.

And before you try to make this a black/white thing, whose gameplan was it? Who stuck with the same losing gameplan all night? What color skin does that person have?

UC picked a lousy time to play their worst game of the year on prime-time ESPN. Poorly played, poorly coached, and they also gave up. Oh well.

ND is a fun team to watch. Scott really makes that team.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    ND is a fun team to watch. Scott really makes that team.
    See, I thought the exact opposite -- watching a catch-and-shoot team couldn't be more boring to me. Pass, Pass, Pass, Shoot. Repeat. I admire the efficency and the quality of execution, but that's boring as sin to watch for 40 minutes, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    See, I thought the exact opposite -- watching a catch-and-shoot team couldn't be more boring to me. Pass, Pass, Pass, Shoot. Repeat. I admire the efficency and the quality of execution, but that's boring as sin to watch for 40 minutes, IMO.
    Eh, call me a crusty old curmudgeon then. I'd rather see a team play great team ball and surgically slice and dice a team with basketball acumen rather than an unending series of dunks.

Get off my lawn.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Eh, call me a crusty old curmudgeon then. I'd rather see a team play great team ball and surgically slice and dice a team with basketball acumen rather than an unending series of dunks.

Get off my lawn.
    Agreed. I'd rather watch pass-pass-pass-shoot as opposed to dribble-dribble-dribble-loweryourheadandbullyourwaytothehoop or dribble-dribble-dribble-highballscreen any day.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

jredmo2

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post

And before you try to make this a black/white thing, whose gameplan was it? Who stuck with the same losing gameplan all night? What color skin does that person have?
    Not worries, not trying to. Just saw an opportunity to post that clip, which I find hilarious.

I also prefer to watch a team break down the defense by passing the ball around and finding the open man.

Turn Off Ads?