Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 UC Basketball official thread

Re: 2010/2011 UC Basketball official thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    That's just pathetic, IMO. Dayton and Oklahoma are two miserable/terrible/horrific teams.

There isn't one thing that can be learned from this non conference schedule. UC will have to win at least 10 conference games to get in with that schedule.
    Well there's the advantage of having dominated the inferior competition. As I said about Indiana's (easier) schedule, it's not as though playing these terrible teams make them any worse. If they played teams more challenging, than they'd have fewer OOC wins, and they'd need to win more Big East games anyway.
    If you say they have to win 10 Big East games to get in, that's a reasonable guess, that means they win 23 games?
    If they instead played two or three more difficult teams and lost, would a 8 and 10 Big East Record with only 20 wins and no difficult out of conference wins?

Basically, the out of conference schedule doesn't really matter. In order to be considered, they'll have to get enough Big East wins that one or two is sure to be a big scalp to hang on the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's a good point as to making the tournament, Hoosier, and one that's changed over the past five years. The Selection Committee really rewards conference wins; it doesn't really matter what you do before that point.

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to watch tonights game, it will be live on ESPN3.com.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Just a heads up for anyone wanting to watch tonights game, it will be live on ESPN3.com.
    Is that it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is that it?

It is also on Sportstime Ohio which isn't available on TWC in southwest Ohio. It is available on Dish and Directv I believe though I'm not sure in what parts of Ohio. It is mostly a Cleveland area sports station if I understand correctly, but they also cover the MAC.

Thanks for the heads up. I just assumed it'd be on some TV here in SW Ohio. I do get ESPN3 now that TWC has put it up but I much prefer to watch it on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I just assumed it'd be on some TV here in SW Ohio. I do get ESPN3 now that TWC has put it up but I much prefer to watch it on TV
    I know the feeling. It's become the harsh reality of where UC has been in the last few years. TV coverage is lacking, and HD coverage even more so. Its really dissapointing that FSO doesn't cover games in HD. I understand that it isn't worth their effort right now with viewership, but I certainly hope the Bearcats can become the draw they once were and we will see HD coverage locally. I also miss hearing Dan Hoard on TV with Fox19. Anthony Buford is OK, but Tom Gelehrter isn't my favorite. I really would like to see Hoard and Machock simulcast on radio and TV. There are obvious obstacles with that, but in a perfect world...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Well there's the advantage of having dominated the inferior competition. As I said about Indiana's (easier) schedule, it's not as though playing these terrible teams make them any worse. If they played teams more challenging, than they'd have fewer OOC wins, and they'd need to win more Big East games anyway.
    If you say they have to win 10 Big East games to get in, that's a reasonable guess, that means they win 23 games?
    If they instead played two or three more difficult teams and lost, would a 8 and 10 Big East Record with only 20 wins and no difficult out of conference wins?

Basically, the out of conference schedule doesn't really matter. In order to be considered, they'll have to get enough Big East wins that one or two is sure to be a big scalp to hang on the wall.
    This is pretty much my line of thinking as well. For a bubble team like UC in a good conference, there is pretty much no incentive to try to play a challenging OOC schedule. If UC had played a better OOC and had a couple of nice wins, similar to last season with wins over Vanderbilt and Maryland in Maui, they'd still need to go 9-9 in conference to get any NCAA tournament consideration.

Compare that to this season where if they take care of business in their non-conference schedule and go 13-0 and go 9-9 in the Big East they'll probably be squarely on the bubble. If they manage to go 10-8, they're likely going to be in the tournament.

Exactly what would be the motivation to play anyone decent OOC unless you're a lock for the NCAA tournament and want to improve your seeding?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    That's a good point as to making the tournament, Hoosier, and one that's changed over the past five years. The Selection Committee really rewards conference wins; it doesn't really matter what you do before that point.
    Ask Jim Boeheim and Seth Greenberg if that's true. They were both left out because they lacked anything in the non-conference.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Actually, the last 5 years, the committee has been pointing very strongly to non-conference wins (unless you're Utah State, Missouri State or Air Force, in which you can get away with it somehow).

I lost my data recently because of a hard drive crash, but to give you some perspective, no major conference team in the past 10 years has made the NCAA Tournament with a non-conference SOS of less than a 200 rank unless they were at least 2 games over .500 in conference play. Right now, UC's SOS is among the worst in college basketball (334 out of 345). Despite being undefeated, their RPI is in the high 80's.

Bottom line: non-conference absolutely does matter. Cincinnati can overcome not having any good wins in that regard, but it has absolutely no margin for error. It has to pick up some good road wins and it cannot lose to teams like DePaul within the conference.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

BTW, I thought last night's win against Miami was a good one for Cincinnati. It's the type of game that could be a much better test for a team than you would think on paper.

I've been increasingly impressed with Dion Dixon. He's stepping up as a go-to scorer. UC just needs to get more consistent production from the others.

Cincinnati will have absolutely no margin for error with the schedule. Contrary to the previous suggestions, the committee absolutely does value non-conference wins. However, they will have plenty of opportunity to pick up wins in the Big East. They must capitalize on some of them and not lose any games they shouldn't lose.

Good job last night, though, avoiding a letdown.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

And to the Big East schedule we go! No more patsies (DePaul notwithstanding).

Can the Cats get to 10 wins?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I can't totally fault UC for playing a cupcake pre-BE schedule. The team had a lot of unknowns and rebuilding going into this season so a lot of fairly easy W's build up confidence and teamwork.

We'll see how good they are now. I think they are a nice team. Just need some battle-testing now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    And to the Big East schedule we go! No more patsies (DePaul notwithstanding).

Can the Cats get to 10 wins?
    After looking more closely at the Big East schedule, I'll be quite disappointed if the Cats can't win 10 regular season Big East games.

They have DePaul, Seton Hall, South Florida, St. John's and Rutgers all at home. If they take care of business, that should be five Big East wins right there. They also have DePaul and St. John's each on the road as well, and that really should be two additional wins.

Essentially if UC takes of business and beats the Big East teams they're supposed to beat, they'll have seven wins in the bag. Obviously it doesn't always work that way, but taking care of business in those seven games goes a long way toward reaching the magical 10-win mark.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    After looking more closely at the Big East schedule, I'll be quite disappointed if the Cats can't win 10 regular season Big East games.

They have DePaul, Seton Hall, South Florida, St. John's and Rutgers all at home. If they take care of business, that should be five Big East wins right there. They also have DePaul and St. John's each on the road as well, and that really should be two additional wins.

Essentially if UC takes of business and beats the Big East teams they're supposed to beat, they'll have seven wins in the bag. Obviously it doesn't always work that way, but taking care of business in those seven games goes a long way toward reaching the magical 10-win mark.
    Don't underestimate Rutgers, CE. Mike Rice has them playing solid basketball this year. They will not be an easy win whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Don't underestimate Rutgers, CE. Mike Rice has them playing solid basketball this year. They will not be an easy win whatsoever.
    True. But is is at UC and not at the RAC so if UC's gonna make the Tournament that is a game they should win.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Turn Off Ads?