Re: 2011/2012 UC Basketball official thread

I don't think they look good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Some info on the tournament uniforms...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...sey=nav%7Chead
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I like the cut of the jerseys, but the pattern in those black/red shorts is awful. It's also a departure from the specific color of red that UC uses. I find that last bit most surprising. If you've ever dealt with UC branding, they are VERY controlling.

But hey, the jerseys aren't for me. They're for the players and recruits.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

If you haven't seen what they looked like in person, here is a picture going around on twitter from the press conference.

A lot of people upset that they look orange. I really don't like them, but UC getting them is good for recruiting IMO. Plus, they are only for the post season. I think you will see a better design next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    If you haven't seen what they looked like in person, here is a picture going around on twitter from the press conference.

A lot of people upset that they look orange. I really don't like them, but UC getting them is good for recruiting IMO. Plus, they are only for the post season. I think you will see a better design next year.
    You can't see a worse design. This picture of them is ugly. But if they get a recruit or two that is all that matters.

Yea those look terrible. I miss the Jordan ones they used to have.

If they win in them they will look good to me. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Yea those look terrible. I miss the Jordan ones they used to have.
    So do I...those were the best.

It's nice that the concensus is that the Bearcats are pretty much in but I find it interesting that their RPI is 70. How many 70 or over RPIs have ever gotten at large bids? I'm wondering if the RPI is kind of falling out of favor.

It's not only "kind of" falling out of favor, it's really falling out of favor.

One reason is that it puts too much emphasis on distinguishing between the really poor teams that a tournament team should be able to beat.(We'll forget for a moment the fact that UC lost to Presbyterian.)

But RPI basically just counts your opponents wins and losses. So you are able to manipulate it well by playing the top half of a weak league rather than the bottom half.

The problem with this thinking is that a Big East squad should almost ALWAYS beat a team from the Summit league for instance. Whether it's Oral Roberts(RPI 131 last year) or Centenary(RPI 342), an NCAA tournament bubble team should not really lose to either. But using RPI, a win over Oral Roberts is much more useful than a win over Centenary.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    But using RPI, a win over Oral Roberts is much more useful than a win over Centenary.
    I would think any system would reward a win over Oral Roberts more than a win over Centenary. I don't understand the distinction you're making.

I think a better point is how they rank a win over a 25-5 team from the Summit League vs a 25-5 team from the Big East

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I would think any system would reward a win over Oral Roberts more than a win over Centenary. I don't understand the distinction you're making.

I think a better point is how they rank a win over a 25-5 team from the Summit League vs a 25-5 team from the Big East
    It's actually the opposite. Every system ranks a win over a 25-5 B1G East Team higher than one from the Summit League.

Think of it this way, Imagine a world where you can tell exactly how good a team is by their record.

Let's say you're a 7-3 team right now and play 4 games against 4-6 teams. In theory, you should win all four games right?

Now Let's say you play 2 games against 8-2 teams and 2 games against 0-10 teams. Again, you'd be less expected to win the first two but you'd definitely be expected to beat the team that went 0-10. Still if you win all four, it shows more about your team than if you feast on sub mediocre teams.
    But according to RPI, those 4 wins are equal.

The other problem as I understand it is when you start putting the RPI to the test past the first level of opponents these logical holes become much more pronounced.

So the way to manipulate the system is to play as many games against the top teams in conferences where you'll win anyway or against the crap teams from mid level or high level conferences(who will get the benefit of improving their RPI just by being in the conference) and you want to avoid games against good teams in a mid level conference. Playing Butler for instance is bad because 1) You might lose and 2) Their RPI will be dragged down by their conference, which in turn has a negative impact on you. Instead, you play a bad team from the A-10 because 1) There's much less of a chance at losing, and 2) That team's RPI will be improved just because it plays in a better conference.

So even if you think that's a fair system(few of the people I know who really understand the math behind it are very impressed) you can see where it creates an untenable position for the Butler's, Creighton's, and Xavier's of the world.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 03-08-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

UC's year was a season of extremes.

They played a complete joke of a non-conference season and lost a game to Presbyterian that there was no excuse for. They should have a bit of a black eye for playing such poor teams early on. But they shouldn't not go to the NCAA because they had one really bad night.

And then Cronin righted the ship and had a successful season in the Big East which is a very difficult thing to do. They have some impressive wins on their resume.

I think UC's non-conference strength of schedule was like 310-ish out of 330-ish. I mean, c'mon, play *somebody*. The fans can tell. Nobody came to 5/3rd Arena for those games.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    It's actually the opposite. Every system ranks a win over a 25-5 B1G East Team higher than one from the Summit League.
    The opposite of what? I would certainly hope that most system's would weight a win over a Big East team more than a team from the Summit league assuming their records are identical

Ugly uniforms and an ugly performance so far. 2-15 from three-point line. Trail 45-38 midway through the second half. Bearcats colors now grey and orange I guess. And those orange shoes are hideous. Shoes only Lady Gaga could appreciate.

Win + old unis > Loss + new unis as far as recruiting goes. IMO.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-08-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Turn Off Ads?