Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 UC Basketball official thread

Re: 2010/2011 UC Basketball official thread

Cincy starts to find their bearings from outside, drains a pair of threes and cuts the deficit to 9.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

UC is working hard, but the shots aren't falling and Syracuse seemingly does everything well. If it wasn't for UC forcing turnovers, they'd be down by 18 right now.

Lead down to five...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That did not end well (or start well in the second half).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That did not end well (or start well in the second half).
    UC plays without poise more than any team I have ever watched.

Is that the basketball Iq of the players or is that the coach? And Yancy Gates is marshmallow soft on the bball court.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    UC plays without poise more than any team I have ever watched.

Is that the basketball Iq of the players or is that the coach? And Yancy Gates is marshmallow soft on the bball court.
    People need to remember that it isn't easy to play with "poise" @Vill and @Syracuse...both teams play incredible defenses and in tough arenas vs top 10 teams...they'll make you look stupid.

Everyone needs to stay calm..the Cats will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    People need to remember that it isn't easy to play with "poise" @Vill and @Syracuse...both teams play incredible defenses and in tough arenas vs top 10 teams...they'll make you look stupid.

Based on what? His teams have played this way for 4 years straight.

I expect them to collapse like always. They weren't tested enough in the non conference schedule to know how to compete against real talented teams.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Based on what? His teams have played this way for 4 years straight.
    These collapses have been playing just well enough to lose and then losing to teams you never should lose to. Syracuse and Nova are tough teams to play, especially away but that doesn't mean you can't beat them. That doesn't mean you can't play better against them. I don't want to hear anything about moral victories coming out of this game.

I expect them to collapse like always. They weren't tested enough in the non conference schedule to know how to compete against real talented teams.
    There preseason schedule was a joke, an absolute joke. They weren't tested one bit in the non conference schedule and it is really showing. If UC doesn't make the tournament then I hope Mick gets his walking papers.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If UC doesn't make the tournament then I hope Mick gets his walking papers.
    If they miss the tournament, then I agree with you, he should be dumped. Having said that, I don't see it happening. The AD is broke, I have no idea what his buyout is, but if it's more than $100k, I don't see them doing it.

The lay of the land in the Big East works against them to, IMO. You'd have to hire a big name guy to compete for the top 1/3 of this league on a regular basis. That presents two problems, 1) They have no money for a big name coach 2) No big name coach would want to take over this program anyway. As for hiring a young guy, I get they have egos, but I think you'd be committing career suicide. It's hard to come into a league where 25% of the teams have a coach that's already in the HOF, and a few others have coaches that will be in the HOF. That doesn't even mention other things, like some of the guys combined have a truckload of Final 4 appearances. That's a tough road to hoe for a young coach, nearly impossible without a ton of luck, IMO.

Does the same sort of excuse apply to Notre Dame?

In all honesty, I didn't expect them to beat Villanova or Syracuse but you can't help but be discouraged by how the games transpired. They were out of both games early and despite trying to claw back to respectability, neither game was ever really in question.

At some point if UC wants to be considered a big time program they're going to have to start being competitive in hostile environments and start winning games. It's way too early to draw any conclusions but this performance looks a whole lot like the ones we've seen in the past few years.
    Last edited by nmculbreth; 01-19-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Does the same sort of excuse apply to Notre Dame?

In all honesty, I didn't expect them to beat Villanova or Syracuse but you can't help but be discouraged by how the games transpired. They were out of both games early and despite trying to claw back to respectability, neither game was ever really in question.

At some point if UC wants to be considered a big time program they're going to have to start being competitive in hostile environments and start winning games. It's way too early to draw any conclusions but this performance looks a whole lot like the ones we've seen in the past few years.
    I wouldn't call it an excuse to lose to three top 15 games away from home...

I'm a little worried by how we've played, but the fact is a loss is a loss and I was expecting to be 4-3 after this road trip ended...so cheers to beating St Johns.

I wouldn't call it an excuse to lose to three top 15 games away from home...

I'm a little worried by how we've played, but the fact is a loss is a loss and I was expecting to be 4-3 after this road trip ended...so cheers to beating St Johns.
    Good teams go on the road and win 1 or 2 of those games. Even if not, good teams don't go on the road and lose all three by double digits.

I forgot to make the wager back when we were discussing it, but I really don't think UC makes the tournament. They still don't have a single win against a team that's going to be in the NCAA (except for the outside possibility Xavier gets in).

Think about the above statement for a moment, then consider it's already January 20.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

What's frustrating is that UC has show they can be competitive on the road. They play well for fairly long stretches. But they also can hit an 8-10 minute stretch where they play timidly and afraid and get themselves in a big hole. Which in the Big East on the road, you just can't do.

Gates needs to learn how to play the post. With that body and ability, there is no reason he should shy away from low post contact which he did repeatedly last night. Instead, he backs out after one bump and passes off or else shoots that doofus one-foot jumper.

And Kilpatrick needs to play more. He's the only real scorer they have.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Good teams go on the road and win 1 or 2 of those games. Even if not, good teams don't go on the road and lose all three by double digits.

I forgot to make the wager back when we were discussing it, but I really don't think UC makes the tournament. They still don't have a single win against a team that's going to be in the NCAA (except for the outside possibility Xavier gets in).

Think about the above statement for a moment, then consider it's already January 20.
    I'll take that bet.
    I don't think we've learned anything either way about this team. They've beaten the teams they were supposed to beat, and done it soundly. They've lost to teams they would be expected to lose to, and soundly.

Has anyone beaten Syracuse, Villanova, or Notre Dame in their respective home arenas yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

Good point dude...Syr/Vill/ND are undefeated at home and the top 10 in the Big East are a whopping 29-2 at home. "GOOD" teams don't go and steal games vs top teams at home...the teams that do the stealing are the great teams like Syr, Vill and Pitt and even they got knocked around this weekend on the road.

Turn Off Ads?