Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wladimir Balentien A Former Red

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Wladimir Balentien A Former Red

Former Mariner and Red Wladimir Balentien has told his usual Venezuelan Winter League team, the Leones de Caracas, that he can't play this winter because he has signed with a team in Japan, reports Cesar Augusto Marquez at Lider en Deportes. Marquez doesn't say which team Balentien has joined.

This report was found on MLBTradeRumors.com

I thought he could of replaced Nix and or Gomes in LF.. Guess not

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wladimir Balentien A Former Red

I was hoping Balentien would get another chance with the Reds. He still has some upside, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I was hoping Balentien would get another chance with the Reds. He still has some upside, IMO.
    To me its telling that no one really wanted him and he is ending up playing in Japan. Maybe he gets his career together in Japan but I think his MLB playing prospects are very slim.

I bet he's a beast over there, makes jillions of dollars. That's a tough move for any player, but he's got enough talent to succeed there and set himself up for life. It's a good move, especially if you think you have little chance to crack an opening day roster.

Resigning Gomes means just that for him as a Red.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I bet he's a beast over there, makes jillions of dollars. That's a tough move for any player, but he's got enough talent to succeed there and set himself up for life. It's a good move, especially if you think you have little chance to crack an opening day roster.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Clearly he'll make more money, get good playing time at a level somewhat higher than AAA here, and perhaps show himself ready to finally make the jump to the ML.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Resident PED Expert

I can see him having a good career over there. Maybe two or 3 years and try his hand one more time at the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Sadly I agree.

Not sure if he's the next Roberto Petagine or the next Jose Guillen, but this certainly puts him more in line to be the former. I always liked his potential.

Plus, now he can be 1/3 Dominican, 1/3 Russian, and 1/3 Japanese.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?